You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

misterID wrote:

Like I said, that doesn't matter. If Axl wants them in and it gets him on stage, they're in. End of story. Period. They are/have been in GN'R for a long time, they're part of GN'R, anyway.

I think Gilby is a joke and not a real member of GN'R. But I'd carry him piggyback to Cleveland if it got Axl and Slash on stage again.

Plus, it's not our band. Our opinions mean shit in this.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Gilby, Matt and Dizzy are debateable so that in itself makes the notion that anyone in post Illusions era should get in absolutely absurd. The CD era members have done nothing to carry on the name. The Guns N' Roses has survived  and thrived in the eyes of the public in spite of Axl's version of the band. Yes thsi era ahs fans but not  sucha s ignificant amount that it's allwoed Guns N' Roses to survive. It's about as ridiculous as saying the Foo Figters have kept the Nirvana name alive and thereor all members of the Foo shoud be inducted when Nirvana gets inducted. With or without the new band the classic Gn'R songs are plastered all over rock and classic rock radio all the time. The only way the new era has "helped" is by inadvertently reminding the general public how fucking awesome the old Gun N' Roses were. To think the new band has kept the name alive and well to the point they deserve recognition inot the RRHOF is completely ridiculous and it's only an opinion you'd hear ona  GUns N' Roses forum. Ask Joe blow on the street what he thnsk and he'd laugh at the idea of Robin Finck etc. being inducted as Guns N' Roses. And they'd be right in doing so.

there really is nothing to be said for the new guys. The one album since the Illusion era  went basically unnoticed and the rest have been nostalgia cover tours. That's basically it. That is their contributaion and to think they've carried the Guns N' Roses torch and allowed the bannd to survive is really epitomy of wearing Rose coloured shades. Sorry but it's true.  It would be like Bono replacing Larry, Adam and The Edge then proceeding touring once in a while and then replace two more members then finally release one album  that nobody cared about all overa  16 year span and then indicuting the the five new members in along witht he original band members as U2. Aboslute blapshemy.

And what this all boils down to whether people like it or not is the era from 1987-1993. CD era has NOTHING to do with their induction. It wasn't considered in the slightest. It had ZERO impact on this.

Stone cold TRUTH. Preach on buddy. 9

However, I will say this. Metallica managed to sneak their new bassist into the Hall of Fame even though the guy contributed absolutely nothing to the music that actually got them into the Hall in the first place. My guess is Lars, James, and Kirk DEMANDED that Robert be allowed in or they would not show up to the ceremony to accept the award and perform. Obviously Axl doesn't really have that kind of leverage since he is only one member of the original band, whereas in Metallica's case you had 3 out of 4 original members making that kind of outrageous demand.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
-D- wrote:

we allow Axl to realize his vision and to tour the world and do great things as GNR. If we didn't he would be sitting at home with nothing but a worthless name.

By endorsing the current live band, we do just that - our bit to prove promoters the current lineup is marketable. In return, we get a show by the current lineup (most of the time) and that pretty much ends our rope on the matter.

Buying a ticket to a show, a shirt or an album doesn't enable Axl to reunite the old band per se - it only helps to keep the brand alive, and as long as he's got that going for himself, a public performance with former members remains a possibility.

I argue that while we, the fans, do enable Guns to function on the level they even on this day, we are still on the opposite end of the consumer spectrum. We buy, we get the instant gratification in return.

We don't have vested interest to get the hit single out which will tear a new one in music charts, because we're not the people who invested millions on the music before it became widely available.

We are at the bottom of the food chain, the big middlemen obviously being the record company suits like Jimmy Iovine and performance procurers like Irving Azoff. Those guys have a lot to say in the context you speak of, because they have more of a direct influence on Guns, or any other such band.

The only downside in this is that we, the consumers to them, fans to the Guns, are the ones both parties work hard on cajoling. As long as any of them want to stay in the game, I do agree they should lend an ear to our ranks to get the unabashed truth of the way we see the world they're building.

Thinking about it, who's to say they're not watching?

misterID

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

However, I will say this. Metallica managed to sneak their new bassist into the Hall of Fame even though the guy contributed absolutely nothing to the music that actually got them into the Hall in the first place. My guess is Lars, James, and Kirk DEMANDED that Robert be allowed in or they would not show up to the ceremony to accept the award and perform. Obviously Axl doesn't really have that kind of leverage since he is only one member of the original band, whereas in Metallica's case you had 3 out of 4 original members making that kind of outrageous demand.

Outrageous demand? Its their band - The band gets inducted, they wanted the current lineup inducted. Pretty simple.

And Axl has sway because he knows the HOF (I'm sure) wants to see a them up on stage together again. Big ratings.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Like I said, that doesn't matter. If Axl wants them in and it gets him on stage, they're in. End of story. Period. They are/have been in GN'R for a long time, they're part of GN'R, anyway.

I think Gilby is a joke and not a real member of GN'R. But I'd carry him piggyback to Cleveland if it got Axl and Slash on stage again.

Then shut the fourm down cause there's no point in discussing any of this.

How is Gilby a joke?  Do you consider DJ a joke?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

DJ isn't even the full joke, just the punchline. 16

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

We can mouth off our opinions all we want, but like I said, they don't matter.  I think CD era matters, you don't. Means absolutley nothing. If the band/hall wants to accept the CD era in the HOF that's their decision. Not ours.

And I am legally forbidden to answer if I think DJ is joke on this forum 16

But as of now, DJ and Gilby are on the same footing. The only difference is that Gilby's sole reason for being inducted is that he performed on stage with Slash and Duff.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

We can mouth off our opinions all we want, but like I said, they don't matter.  I think CD era matters, you don't. Means absolutley nothing. If they want to accept the CD era in the HOF that's their decision. Not ours.

But as of now, DJ and Gilby are on the same footing. The only difference is that Gilby's sole reason for being inducted is that he performed on stage with Slash and Duff.

At the height of their fame.  He also recored on a  Guns album(albeit cover album) with Slash & Duff. He was in the band durring that whole time when Gn'R were  massive. Winning awards, selling out tours, Making kickass music videos he's on the only officila live releases.... Gilby contribute FAR MORE to the legacy of Gn'R than DJ has.  Ron and Richard too for that matter. You could argue his contributions to Gn'R were much more important than anyone in the new band as well.

If Russ's theory that the new guys have helped carry on the legacy is valid(I don't think it is) then shit Gilby's carried that flag pretty damn high in comparison. We can say they could've got anyone but the fact of the matter is they got Gilby and without him that whole Illusion tour doesn't happen.

In my opinion it's the original 5 with Matt and Dizzy(they recorded on the Illusions & TSI and toured their asses off)

Gilby would be on the outside looking in at #8 but if they threw him in I'd be ok with it.  the rest I dont'think have anything to do with this whatsoever

And yes I know  what I think doesn't matter.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

well you know what they say... opinions are like assholes...i'm messin with ya

seriously though you (or anyone) can say whatever they want ... we've always advocated free speech , dunno why peopel are feeling that they cant anymore, or where shit started to drift in that respect. but we are working to try and bring back that open discussion idea again smile

anyway back to topic at hand...it really is a sticky situation...where does the line get drawn? either they draw it at the orig era, AFD lineup....the UYI meteoric rise to fame era UYI/TSI...or the entire legacy

i could see any one being a posibility tbh, but the one that would make most sense to me is everythign up to and including TSI...does that include Tracy and Roberta, 976 Horns and Zig Zag? I dunno 16

at the same time i could see everyone that had a hand in being a musician appearing on an offical release as part of the band being inducted (based on the assumption that Robert Trujillo was inducted as part of Metallica) .... since Axl has been working dilegently to legitimize the current incarnation of GnR, like russ said it could be a crowded stage come April

to Bono...i think that the members (past and present) of the modern era of gnr have done alot to keep the band / brand alive gone through alot of pain and suffering for a mere paycheck. and some of the modern members have been part of gnr for a long damn time (active or not)

its definately a sticky situation to sort out...

what if axl says "ok i'll play Sweet child, Jungle and Paradise city with the orig band if my current members get inducted as part of the name...if not i walk" then what...the powers that be i bet would jump at hte chance to be the ones to get that reunion gig (even if it is only 15 minutes or so) to happen

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

To get in, i think u have to be AFD-UYI and have song writing Credits PLURAL

Board footer