You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Guns N Roses OFFICIALLY inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Ali wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

If GNR quit after UYI, would they be in the HOF? YES

If GNR's only album they ever put out was Chinese Democracy, would they be a HOF band? NO

How many bands do you know of that were inducted into the the RRHOF on the basis of only one album anyway?

Ali

Sex Pistols

A GN'R influence too.

Yes, but clearly the exception, not the rule.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

Guys

GNR hadn't released an original studio album in 17 years

Radio stations, EVERYBODY was giving this the royal treatment.

STILL

Not even a number 1 rock single.

STP released an avg song "Between The Lines" after years apart and the damn thing broke records for number of adds. Chili Peppers came out with Rain Dance Maggie which is an OK song.. and it hit number 1....

That is the BIG indictment.

U HAVE TO PUT UR FANDOM ASIDE

Sure, to us, Axl could release a bluegrass album and we'd treat it like Darkside.

When u lay it all out. CD was a catastrophic failure.  Do i love it? Yeah but my opinion means shit.

I don't see what you're trying to say.  If it's what I think it is, commercial success is not an indication of quality.  Hence the absence of commercial success does not equate to the absence of quality.

Ali

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah but if u can really step back and take the blinders off... It has ONLY about 5-6 really good songs on it. Nothing on that album i would classify legendary or great. Collection of vrey good songs an a few below average ones.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

The Sex Pistols are the EXCEPTION not the RULE.  The arguments about what would have happened with GN'R with only AFD and Nirvana are completely moot because the fact is that the old GN'R and Nirvana did NOT release only studio album.  So, it's impossible to know what would have happened. 

My point was not to "dance around" that CD played no part in their induction.  My point was, and still stands, that the vast majority of artists inducted did not release only one studio album by which they are judged.  Therefore, judging whether or not a band would've been inducted on the basis of one album is unlikely to begin with based on the sheer statistics currently available.

Ali

Stand by your opinion/point all you want. Everyone and their dog knows Gn'R was going in with or without CD and it's likely AFD would've put them in the hall all on it's own. To think that is a much better assumption than what you're trying to get at.

johndivney wrote:

some of you would argue w/ur own shadow

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:

some of you would argue w/ur own shadow

EXACTLY.

This is the dumbest argument ever. People saying the same thing, over and over, mostly just to throw jabs about the same old shit they always argue about, whatever. I posted the flyer to show how silly this whole thing is. They're inducting who their inducting and that's all there is to it. And if it doesn't bring Axl and Slash on stage for one final show then it doesn't mean anything, at least to me anyway. Cool moment for GN'R, but jesus, let it go already. And from their official bio at th HOF, the Hall is acknowledging CD and the new line up. There, good stuff.

Ali

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah but if u can really step back and take the blinders off... It has ONLY about 5-6 really good songs on it. Nothing on that album i would classify legendary or great. Collection of vrey good songs an a few below average ones.

No offense, but do you understand the difference between a quantifiable, absolute fact and personal preference/opinion?

It is YOUR OPINION that there are only 5 or 6 good songs on CD.  That has nothing to do with "blinders".  It's a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

The Sex Pistols are the EXCEPTION not the RULE.  The arguments about what would have happened with GN'R with only AFD and Nirvana are completely moot because the fact is that the old GN'R and Nirvana did NOT release only studio album.  So, it's impossible to know what would have happened. 

My point was not to "dance around" that CD played no part in their induction.  My point was, and still stands, that the vast majority of artists inducted did not release only one studio album by which they are judged.  Therefore, judging whether or not a band would've been inducted on the basis of one album is unlikely to begin with based on the sheer statistics currently available.

Ali

Stand by your opinion/point all you want. Everyone and their dog knows Gn'R was going in with or without CD and it's likely AFD would've put them in the hall all on it's own. To think that is a much better assumption than what you're trying to get at.

You're continuing on with your straw man argument.  I never said ANYTHING about GN'R going in with or without CD.  My point was that one album argument is A) completely moot for the original band, B) statistically anomalous based on the artists currently inducted.

Go ahead and argue what is likely or not.  We'll never, ever know for sure.  And Christ almighty, I don't know where in the hell you got I was saying that CD was a part of why GN'R got inducted.  I said nothing of the sort roll

Ali

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

You're continuing on with your straw man argument.  I never said ANYTHING about GN'R going in with or without CD.  My point was that one album argument is A) completely moot for the original band, B) statistically anomalous based on the artists currently inducted.

Go ahead and argue what is likely or not.  We'll never, ever know for sure.  And Christ almighty, I don't know where in the hell you got I was saying that CD was a part of why GN'R got inducted.  I said nothing of the sort roll

Ali

The idea of Gn'R getting in based off AFD credentials alone is much more valid than the idea that CD played a part in their induction. Everyone knew they were going in by 1995 and had they only released AFD I'm pretty sure they'd still be going in ala Sex Pistols but yes we will never know for sure. What we do know for sure is CD played no part in their induction. NONE because we all knew by 1994 Guns N' Roses was gonan get inducted at some point so....   

Your  "yeah but" approach to it simple trys to deflect away from that fact and lend credance to the idea CD was a contirbuting factor.

You asked how many bands have gotten in off one album I gave ya an answer and then suggested two other bands that more than likley would've gotten in based off their debut/breakout album alone. You went into statistics and anomolies and blah blah blah.   You always ask for examples or refrences and then when someone points them out it's never to your liking 14

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Uh, I don't want to get dragged into this, but Ali said several times GN'R wasn't getting in based on CD, or that it played a part, or was a contributing factor. I haven't read where he's said that. If I missed where he's said that, please point it out to me. I just keep seeing that being repeated over and over...

And D stormed into the thread trying to instigate something. Why he brought up CD is beyond me. And then continued with this:

"It has ONLY about 5-6 really good songs on it" "CD was a catastrophic failure."

I think D might be letting off steam here because he won't at HTGTH. At least, he did that not too long ago here. For the record D, I wouldn't treat anything Axl put out like it was Darkside Of The Moon." It's not blinders, or fandom, or anything else. I think CD is a great album.

AFD probably would have got them into the HOF, but UYI is why they're going in on the first ballot, imho.

Board footer