You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Steven Adler on a Guns N' Roses Hall of Fame Reunion

monkeychow wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

But Steven, I'm pretty sure Axl and Slash would be able to tell you what started the grudge.

Maybe but I think it's more the totality of their relationship and how they were getting on as individuals.

Like, say with Axl and Steven - I think there's specific moments that caused the rift - injecting Axl's woman with a speedball etc (or if you take Steve's version - Axl just thinking he did it).

With Slash it's more complex. There's bringing in Paul - but I think that was happening because a distance had already formed between them. There's the name issue. There's the late starts. I suspect there may have always been communication barriers between them.

So I'm sure they could each list a list of things that the other does that inhibits the friendship - but I think stevens right in that they're not going "well it's all because he ate my birthday cake in 1994" - there's not one defining problem.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
smoke wrote:

He's right about the Trunk interview, but draws the wrong conclusion. MAYBE he's right that they were "coached" by management, but I think Eddie ran kind of a crap interview.

Another reason I tend to blame Eddie more for that interview is that his interview with Slash that aired a week or two later was pretty crap too, IMO.

I agree they may have been warned off certain topics but even so I also blame the crap interview on TMS.  There was some topics and things Axl bought up that were interesting and they just bloody cut him off when he was speaking, or they failed to ask follow up questions.  Can't blame Axl or his handlers for that.

Adler's so funny to listen to (I mean in a laughing at him not with him type of way).  As others have said at least he's brutally honest, he just blurts out whatever is in his head without even thinking.  A bit like Homer Simpson, I'm sure he says things then later on he goes "did I just think that or did I actually say that"?  He certainly would never make a diplomat. 14

Seems like he's buried the hatchet with Sorum too, shame he didn't bury it in the back of his head 16 , as a person I have always found Sorum to be an ass hat.

I had to laugh too at Adler's comment of "I've been working on my speech for 3 weeks", then the interviewer goes "didn't you just find out yesterday"?  I'm sure his speech would be just a insightful as his book.  The guy really is STILL just like an excitable teenager.

Sky Dog wrote:

WHICH MEANS HE IS STILL STONED AS BEJESUS!!!!!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

...as a person I have always found Sorum to be an ass hat.

You're not alone. Sorum IS an asshat.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Man, it would have been really funny if the day of induction he's sleeping in his tent and sleeping bag in New York.

"They should be here... Any moment now."

I still think Steven will say something stupid that blows any chance of a gig happening. He was almost there here.

I thought Axl seemed opened to it, that there was a scenerio where it could happen.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I think from Steven's perspective(and I kinda agree) he wants a stright answer from Axla nd as "nice" an answer as Axl gave about the RRHOF induction he never said one way or the other. He was diplomatically vague and yeah thats' frustrating. I mean look at his lame ass answer to the late starts. basically saying it's not really his fault, thinsg are out of his control but he has always beena  bit of a late kinda guy. Yeah gee thanks for giving straight answer Axl roll  Steven gives straight answers and I think he probably gets frustarited by Axl's reluctance to do that.  Cause lets' face it Axl is pretty vague more often than not, even when he's being open.

At the same time the guys conducting the interview were complete clowns not to follow up on anything.

Also I've never been sold on this whole idea that Axl is extremely intelligent. To me he often comes across as a guy who if you were in a  debate with him would try to use big words to distract from his lack of point.  I don't know. I find Duff to be a smarter guy than Axl. That's just me though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think axl's smart as hell, but it's tempered by his unique point of view and eccentricness, so it doesn't always come across that way. He seems to focus on the exact construction of his words and choose his phrases very carefully for what they imply to him, but I don't think this is always the common meaning or natural meaning of the words to someone else. So you almost need to translate what he says at times.

But I see Steven as kinda a rock puppy dog. The guy kicks ass and was born to play drums in GNR...but I just don't think he's the guy to be interpreting the finer details and nuiances of something Axl says - especially if it's something where Axl was hesitant to make a speach on.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I think from Steven's perspective(and I kinda agree) he wants a stright answer from Axla nd as "nice" an answer as Axl gave about the RRHOF induction he never said one way or the other. He was diplomatically vague and yeah thats' frustrating. I mean look at his lame ass answer to the late starts. basically saying it's not really his fault, thinsg are out of his control but he has always beena  bit of a late kinda guy. Yeah gee thanks for giving straight answer Axl roll  Steven gives straight answers and I think he probably gets frustarited by Axl's reluctance to do that.  Cause lets' face it Axl is pretty vague more often than not, even when he's being open.

At the same time the guys conducting the interview were complete clowns not to follow up on anything.

Also I've never been sold on this whole idea that Axl is extremely intelligent. To me he often comes across as a guy who if you were in a  debate with him would try to use big words to distract from his lack of point.  I don't know. I find Duff to be a smarter guy than Axl. That's just me though.

Duff is smarter, except for the fact he allowed himself to be outmaneuvered on the GN'R name issue. It wasn't smart to become a raging alcoholic, and it wasn't smart to sign over his rights to the name. Hands down the two dumbest things he's ever done in his life. One almost killed him. The other merely made him look like an idiot of a businessman, even though he's actually a pretty good businessman. 16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Duff is smarter, except for the fact the allowed himself to be outmaneuvered on the GN'R name issue. It wasn't smart to become a raging alcoholic, and it wasn't smart to sign over his rights to the name. Hands down the two dumbest things he's ever done in his life. One almost killed him. The other merely made him look like an idiot of a businessman, even though he's actually a pretty good businessman. 16

True but but like you said thanks to the alcohol he clearly wasn't in the right frame of mind. Axl no doubt took advantage of that shit.  When clean and sober if you based it just off their interviews I'd say Slash and Duff both come off more articulate and intelligent than Axl. I've always gotten the psuedo intellect vibe from Axl.   I'm not saying Axl's a dummy but I just dont' but this "extremely intelligent" thing that others seem to think. And given his history of how things have been dealt with I can't help but think the guy is just of average intelligence who happens to have money and  be in a position of authority surrounded by a lot of "yes men"

monkeychow wrote:

I think axl's smart as hell, but it's tempered by his unique point of view and eccentricness, so it doesn't always come across that way. He seems to focus on the exact construction of his words and choose his phrases very carefully for what they imply to him, but I don't think this is always the common meaning or natural meaning of the words to someone else. So you almost need to translate what he says at times..

That to me is him being a psuedo intellect.  Almost like they feel more important and smarter than the person giving the interview. You see it all the time with Hollywood stars. The long puases as though everyone is hanging on their every breath and then the excessive use of big words.  they're no  smarter than the average person but it comes off as though they are trying try to project that they are.

It's just a  vibe I've always gotten from Axl.

I agree Steven isn't the best to decipher what Axl's  meaning to say though 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This thread is funny.

And Steven obviously didn't know the heart of rock&roll is in Cleveland.

Board footer