You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: When's Album?

Sky Dog wrote:

my point was people are giving Axl shit for touring and not making a record. Well, other classic artists feel the same way and are pissed at the record industry for creating this mess.

Axl is touring to earn a living for himself and the other people he hires. A good run through Europe will put alot of food on the table for alot of families. What a saint huh?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

my point was people are giving Axl shit for touring and not making a record. Well, other classic artists feel the same way and are pissed at the record industry for creating this mess.

Axl is touring to earn a living for himself and the other people he hires. A good run through Europe will put alot of food on the table for alot of families. What a saint huh?

Yeah, I get all that.  Touring is the way to make money these days.  No doubt.  The problem is, he's touring off the back catalog which the guys in the band had nothing to do with as far as its creation.  Not even Chinese Democracy for some.  I think if this lineup put out a record and created its own identity with it, that would go a long way.

If it were only that easy.

Another thing established bands are doing these days are taking other well known acts on the road with them, as sort of a co-headliner thing.  Def Leppard has been doing it for years.  But this year especially it seems to be the rage.  Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Ted Nugent are touring.  Kiss and Motley Crue.  Scorpions and Tesla.  Whatever it takes to get the most tickets sold.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

16 Yeah but to afford what? A lavish lifestyle. Give me a break. It's not like Axl is touring to save himself from being homeless. If you're an artist you want to create new art. Axl can do that as well as tour. If these artists don't see the point in making new albums they've lost the plot of what making music is all about. But I guess it's all about money and the only way to make a substantial amount of it is to tour so fuck new albums just tour old material that your current band had no hand in creating.

I get the sense though from your comment "what a  saint huh"" you agree with what I'm saying.

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

well hold on a second - there are plenty of artists who don't feel that way, who are trying their best to make the best & most successful album they can.
look @ our very own Bono & his beloved U2. they're slaving away trying to do just that very thing. they want to be the biggest band in the world still, & make new music that connects w/people.

why should he follow the trend of old farts like Pete Townshend or Rush, whos fanbase are mostly all on their way out & not interested in the energy of rock n roll.
GnR's fanbase is still alive & kicking.

tbh i'd be surprised if AFD in this yr alone doesn't outsell the entire catalogue of Townshend solo & The Who & Rush combined, & that's just one yr.
that's the standards GnR & Axl's ambition should be aiming for. not selling as much as Empty Glass.

i think your comparison is flawed.
albums can still take off & be enormously successful - look @ adele.
the question is whether they have the energy & ambition to pursue a great & successful album.

& of course, GnR is a special case given the relationship w/the label & management. another reason why comparisons don't stand up.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bono, Axl certainly isn't a saint...maybe they need the money to fund the recording? I don't know. We'll see what happens after the never ending Euro tour. Believe me, I want new music more than anything.

johndivney wrote:

We've seen what happens after a tour ends... Do u have hope/expectation this yr'll be any diff??

Sky Dog wrote:

No....I thought our opportunity to get the best of the rest of the vault was right before the first US Tour in October 2011. That was the time he could have re-released Chinese as a double with intended artwork and a fresh new single for radio...single from the vault. Or, he could have dumped it in a boxset which the diehards would eat up (plus, it was around x-mas so good timing). Obviously, he did nothing. 17

Now, I have VERY little confidence that we will ever hear the vault or get a newly recorded album from the newest of the new Gnr's. 17

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I think the bottom line has always been that Axl is too afraid to put out new material. Especially since that new material features nobody (for the most part) from the old band that the general public knows. Sure you can be the last man standing, sure you can run everybody off, sure you can call yourself "GNR", but guess what? Now it's time to perform to that standard. In fact you may have to exceed that standard given that you are the last man standing. Fair or not, that was the reality I believe.

Chinese Democracy showed that he had something to worry about. It was good, sure, but it was the weakest of all the band's material. Musically GNR are HUGE shoes to fill and he knew that. He knew good and goddamn well that he had to bring the big guns to the table and that's why he fussed over it for so many years. Unfortunately the reality is that you can't recreate lightning in a bottle. All the money in the world (OK, how about just "Millions") and a revolving door of top rated talented musicians couldn't replicate that magic from the old days or produce a cohesive, consistent sound that a true band would conjure up.

This time may be a bit different, since the current line up seems to be firing on all cylinders and appear to be an actual band. If there is that fundamental group connection, and if Axl tried a little LESS in terms of production/obsessive fussing , we might just get some blockbuster music this time around. Sadly though, people don't change and I predict Axl will find a way to derail the good thing he has right now.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I think the bottom line has always been that Axl is too afraid to put out new material. Especially since that new material features nobody (for the most part) from the old band that the general public knows. Sure you can be the last man standing, sure you can run everybody off, sure you can call yourself "GNR", but guess what? Now it's time to perform to that standard. In fact you may have to exceed that standard given that you are the last man standing. Fair or not, that was the reality I believe.

Chinese Democracy showed that he had something to worry about. It was good, sure, but it was the weakest of all the band's material. Musically GNR are HUGE shoes to fill and he knew that. He knew good and goddamn well that he had to bring the big guns to the table and that's why he fussed over it for so many years. Unfortunately the reality is that you can't recreate lightning in a bottle. All the money in the world (OK, how about just "Millions") and a revolving door of top rated talented musicians couldn't replicate that magic from the old days or produce a cohesive, consistent sound that a true band would conjure up.

This time may be a bit different, since the current line up seems to be firing on all cylinders and appear to be an actual band. If there is that fundamental group connection, and if Axl tried a little LESS in terms of production/obsessive fussing , we might just get some blockbuster music this time around. Sadly though, people don't change and I predict Axl will find a way to derail the good thing he has right now.

This....we all know it to be true. Especially that last paragraph.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No....I thought our opportunity to get the best of the rest of the vault was right before the first US Tour in October 2011. That was the time he could have re-released Chinese as a double with intended artwork and a fresh new single for radio...single from the vault. Or, he could have dumped it in a boxset which the diehards would eat up (plus, it was around x-mas so good timing). Obviously, he did nothing. 17

Now, I have VERY little confidence that we will ever hear the vault or get a newly recorded album from the newest of the new Gnr's. 17

I would love it if the vault was dropped. But as Cramer said, I think Axl is fearful of releasing anything, as in his mind all eyes are on it, scrutinising it and comparing it to the old band.

When in reality no-one really gives a shit. Media will say what they want and forget it in a weeks time. Fans will pick it up and love/hate it.

Axl needs to lighten up regarding releasing stuff, and his sensitivity to the media / fan responses. People claim that the overlong time between releases is due to Axl's perfectionism, bullshit Mr Han man! its been said on this board before, if he is such a perfectionist why were there so many mistakes made regarding the CD release. Its all a fuck up.

Axl needs to lighten up, to not give a fuck, and just drop stuff out, it will sell loads regardless of how good it is, it will at least show he's doing something to move on.....yadder yadder yadder, you know the rest of this rant, its been said on here many times before, by people who can express it far better than I can.  17

Board footer