You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: When's Album?

Intercourse wrote:

I reckon you're right Axlin. This could mean we get a 'GNR Chinese Democracy Live' album as the last damp fart album to kill off the Universal contract for good and release the band.

This will leave Axl with no true industry professionals working his case. That has to be a worry, although I'd say Axl & his entourage will be delighted. I guess when you can still afford private jets to gigs you feel kinda bullet proof.

With the industry in the toilet and GNR having released so few radio hits in twenty years, the next album of originals had better be an aural cumfest or else this GNR will go the way of VR....the chasm called 'the sophomore slump' is a very huge danger to this band.

I believe that the record company has decided that the slump is inevitable and they just don't want this album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The label doesn't want it

That's Axl's problem. His power play is gone, or directly tied to a reunion. He has no sway with them anymore. If he wants it released, he's gonna have to work for it.

Could be, good point. But also, CD was one of UNI's highest selling albums that year, and I think it was Geffen's biggest seller. Plus they don't have what they invested in CD with the follow up. They could dump another one and still make some bread on it. So, sp1at could be right. I think the label lives in reality and knows not to hold their breath with a reunion, but the possbility could entice them... But, for the most part, I don't think reunion albums have ever been big sellers, tbh. Reunions are more about tours.

I think, like Axl had eluded to, he wants the contract renegotiated (there were outlines for the new contract in MSL's stuff) then he seems to want to write... And that means finding that all elusive "headspace" to do that.

Even though it sucks, and I'm going to be pissed off about it, there's no way he's dropping the album as is without Ron, Frank and DJ re-recording spots. And maybe one or two new songs from the current line up... If that happens.

Sky Dog wrote:

from msl's stuff.....pretty obvious 2nd album contracts and discussions have already happened. You don't talk contracts without hearing the music. I am quite sure Geffen has heard the material that is fully recorded in the vault. However, everything contractually may have changed with the release of Chinese and The Best Buy deal in Nov 2008.

022. Geffen Records contract for Second Album (January 2007)
048-049. January 2008 Axl email about how many albums to release (part 1-2)
099. January 2008 Axl email about which songs should be on second album

I think Ron and Frank already did all their parts on the vault stuff. Only DJ would be left to be added if they are going to use existing material.

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I reckon you're right Axlin. This could mean we get a 'GNR Chinese Democracy Live' album as the last damp fart album to kill off the Universal contract for good and release the band.

This will leave Axl with no true industry professionals working his case. That has to be a worry, although I'd say Axl & his entourage will be delighted. I guess when you can still afford private jets to gigs you feel kinda bullet proof.

With the industry in the toilet and GNR having released so few radio hits in twenty years, the next album of originals had better be an aural cumfest or else this GNR will go the way of VR....the chasm called 'the sophomore slump' is a very huge danger to this band.

I believe that the record company has decided that the slump is inevitable and they just don't want this album.

Fyi, the label makes NOTHING off of radio hits...only the composer/songwriter and publishing company. So, radio hits are pretty much financially meaningless when dealing with a legendary brand like Gnr. Gnr has a strong built in fanbase still so the label will be looking at worldwide album sales and return on investment. It was no coincidence that they didn't lift a finger on Chinese after the Best Buy deal. They got paid big time and called it a day.

Also, Axl holds all the cards when it comes to any new or old Gnr material being released. The label will be hesitant to drop him so your doomsday predictions are silly. He would have been dropped after the Chinese Debacle if they really wanted to get rid of him.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, they could have cut their losses after getting the BB deal.

I still think he wants to record new stuff for the album, at least the stuff DJ has given him, going by what Tommy says.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I mentioned dangers Sky, which are very real. I said nothing about doomsday. If the first tune about the gate of the next album stiffs, the rest of the album wil too. The CD folklore is over. Don't believe that these guys enjoy any more fan interest than VR did and look what happened to them.

Plus, if CD II stiffs who will Axl blame? It won't be himself for sure, we have his record to be sure of that, so a new clearing Out of staff and musicians will probably begin again.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The CD folklore basically ended about two years before the album was released.

I get what you're saying, CD didn't have a great single on it, so I doubt the next one will either, unless DJ has something incredibly pop-oriented. But a new album will still make them money around the world.

Like many vet acts, who have a solid fanbase around the world, no one is banking on them being the biggest thing in the world anymore. Solid sales is good enough.

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I mentioned dangers Sky, which are very real. I said nothing about doomsday. If the first tune about the gate of the next album stiffs, the rest of the album wil too. The CD folklore is over. Don't believe that these guys enjoy any more fan interest than VR did and look what happened to them.

Plus, if CD II stiffs who will Axl blame? It won't be himself for sure, we have his record to be sure of that, so a new clearing Out of staff and musicians will probably begin again.

I honestly don't think Axl cares as much about popularity anymore. He can make a solid living doing what he is doing. He seems happy and well fed so I don't think he is looking to be Nickelback. Of course the CD folklore is over. We know that and the world knows that. Regardless of the quality of the 1st single and radioplay, I think he could sell 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 worldwide based on name alone. I am sure the record company knows this as well and that will keep them interested especially if they don't have to pay for the recording of the album.

Sky Dog wrote:

plus, if he gets dropped from the label, we may actually get more music.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

plus, if he gets dropped from the label, we may actually get more music.

I think the opposite. Axl needs labels to fund his extremely expensive recordings. Knowing his working habits and preferences, no way he could afford (or would want) to  pay from his own pocket for his albums. He missed the enormous marketing campaign so much after CD - he could have paid for it, if it was so important for him, but he chose not to.

Axl is not an indie artist. He wants money and fame and huge labels to serve him - but he hates it when he'd need to do even a little thing in exchange. That's where a lot of his problems are coming from.

Board footer