You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: When's Album?

johndivney wrote:

I think by this stage everyone knows what it is & where we're at re axl & anything, it's more a matter of what else can they say in an interview. except admitting that/addressing that publicly, & that sorta answer could easily come off as a little brusque.

It's just a matter of being polite I think, giving that stock response.
Less said the easiest mended..

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Vale wrote:

Well, clearly he can't say more than that. They all seem to have a contract that forbids them to do so.

I would suggest not as much a contract than a general guideline. Dizzy's always been between talkative and mum over the years.

He's just happy to be working, I'd say. The Daisies are currently touring with Whitesnake until mid-Dec.

Meanwhile, Pitman has decidedly moved more towards production and EDM.

With a very diverse background as a guitarist, keyboardist, and songwriter, Chris is making a clean transition into production (skip below to hear their debut tune).

About five years ago I started doing DJ events in Brazil, and LA... my forte was rock songs that I remixed with house beats, Drum and bass, and gradually I started playing live Bass guitar and synths in the set…added Frank (Ferrer) on electronic drums and so on. Then it evolved into producing music...

It’s always between Logic and Ableton for us. I did programming for Arturia soft synths, which are great plugins. Production wise, the advantages of digital for clarity and transients, as well as clip automation, is unreal now. The technology has made a lot of new ideas possible.”

http://www.edmsauce.com/2015/04/06/chri … interview/

Remember how Axl envisioned CD2 to be electronica w/ full guitars?

In 2012, DJ wrote:

“I didn’t join Guns N’ Roses just to come in as a guitar player... I felt I really could bring something to the table not as a guitar player, but as a songwriter and producer... 

If I were to be asked to help Caram out or do whatever they need me to do, obviously, they know I’m there through thick and thin...

That’s what gets me excited about being in the band - knowing that we have a really great shot at putting out something that’s just going to blow people’s mind...

Sixx:A.M. is just me, Nikki and James. We dump our hearts and soul into that band. It’s a labor of love... that’s where we can truly be artists. We don’t have to follow any rules.”

http://bravewords.com/news/bravewords-c … oses-album

So, DJ left because he was given the short end of the stick? Maybe some gtr to be recorded and patched into existing songs, with the remote possibility that one of his demos would become 'a seed of a song', thus earning him writing credit? Producing CD2 was, perhaps, his best idea to squeeze himself into the royalties of a would-be album. By now, it's obvious that Pitman has a better shot at that post, so... adieu, Ashba.

johndivney wrote:

Well, what IS Axl working on?
You've got the, reportedly, 20-odd leftovers from CD or you've got the reunion.
Is there newer material, post-CD, say post Finck for lack of a better date, that I'm unaware of?

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Well, what IS Axl working on?
You've got the, reportedly, 20-odd leftovers from CD or you've got the reunion.
Is there newer material, post-CD, say post Finck for lack of a better date, that I'm unaware of?

The leftovers, with some newer songs.

We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out,” Rose says. “We’ve worked more on some of those things and we’ve written a few new things." - Axl, Revolver, 06/14

"DJ and I've worked on stuff... that we've come in from nothing, and some of the stuff is... ideas that were already there." - Fortus, Gtr workshop, 11/14 

"All the stuff on Chinese Democracy, when that was recorded and created, it's all from that same period of time. And there's newer stuff as well." - Dizzy, Loudwire, 09/15

I rearranged some of Pitman's (co-)credits into something more readable. While he plays keys and sub bass literally throughout the album, he's also heavily invested in individual songs in a production capacity.

If the World (Rose, Pitman)
Initial & Additional production. Digital Editing. Arrangement.
12 string Guitar, Bass, Sub bass, MPC Drums/Drum programming, Keyboards, String Machine.

There Was A Time (Rose, Tobias, Reed)
Additional production. Orchestral arrangement.
Bass (additional), Sub bass, Drum programming, Keyboards, Mellotron, Background Vocals, Synth Orchestra. 

Madagascar (Rose, Pitman)
Initial & Additional production. Digital Editing. Arrangement, Drum arrangement, Orchestral arrangement.
Bass, Sub bass, Drum programming, Keyboards.

This I Love (Rose)
Digital Editing. Additional arrangement.
Sub bass, Keyboards, Additional synth orchestra.

I believe he even wrote tunes with Axl on acoustic guitar back in the day. It all adds up to him having been a  low-key but integral part of the CD production.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

So Pitman is the modern day Izzy

Maybe DJ thought he could be Axl's co-writer...but once he figured out that he already had one in Pitman he realized GnR may not be as  ludicrous as he wanted it to be from a production / ascap / ongoing royalty perspective

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

It's certainly surprising, but it seems to be the case. Paul Huge was touted as 'the next guy' and he did contribute a lot to CD. However, he mainly wrote the tunes, worked on the arrangements and played gtr.

Pitman's array of credits eclipses everyone, incl. Axl. He is the multi-instrumentalist / studio guy, so Axl hanging out with him in the studio and socially certainly suggests they're going through some CD2 tracks in their leisurely pace.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Neemo wrote:

Which is why I always chuckle when people write him out of proposed "reunion" line-ups. "GN'R already has Dizzy, what do they need another keyboard player for?"

Because he's Axl's songwriting partner, that's why.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If anyone saw the picture Axl posted of the fire, Pitman posted the same, like the studio pic, also. They're saying this is an indication they're in the studio working.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Remember Mark Strigl, from the radio show Talking Metal? He made a bit tangled statement about his recent correspondence with a Guns member. I edited it to make it a bit clearer.

“DJ is out, we don’t really seem to know the status of a lot of the other guys... I do correspond with one of the other members [Pitman(?)] from time to time... He told me in early July... ‘I’m going to have something to talk about in mid-August... Let’s do an interview in mid-August, cool?’ I was like 'Absolutely...' (Sighs)

I’ve since reached back out to him.

At one point, I think it was early August, he said 'Hit me back in two weeks', which I did, and I’ve been hitting him back every week since then [for the past month or so], and crickets, no response to the e-mail.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/anothe … ay-be-out/

So, in early July, Pitman(?) said he'd have something to talk about in about 6 weeks.
Tommy has zero clue about it, despite he 'reaches out' to people in the Guns camp.

It could've been about Vault Work.
Meanwhile, DJ left the band and SOE(tm) fell through.

Early August, 4 weeks later, he says to give those 2 more weeks.
At the same time, Fernando promises an update in 2-4 months.

(2 weeks or 8-16 weeks. Guns have a nebulous sense of time.)

Late August, 2 weeks from that, zip.
August 22nd, the Aftonbladet/Slash soundbyte is published.

Plans may have changed before the media went wild with reunion fervour.
Pitman may have also been told to lay low for a while in the current situation.

A month or so later.

Strigl has kept asking Pitman. He's been silent.
Slash has equallly been mum for roughly the same amount of time.
Tommy's still out of the loop.

Strigl comes with a curious Guns connection, btw.

"Bumblefoot did use my Les Paul in his final recording session for the next Guns N Roses album. The sessions took place last month here in New York City. All his gear was out in California and he specific needed a Les Paul for the album." (Mark Strigl, Talking Metal, 02/10/07)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Prolly more of a nyc music scene thing than a direct gnr correlation imo...when the redheaded recluse starts showing up at HBO premiers and high profile album release parties again then we know it's on...until then it's just a waiting game

Board footer