You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: When's Album?

esoterica wrote:

I remember Chris / c2ya very vaguely during my brief time on the boards back in the day. I was a church mouse in those days.

I do remember his interesting subform though. 16

c2ya wrote:

"Robin Finck's guitar tech said 68 songs done - working on 14 more"

Source: http://gnrontour.com/sets2001/20011229reviews.html

Naturally, re-recording, things get dropped, etc. It's just interesting to hear the ~70 song number from another source.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
c2ya wrote:

"Robin Finck's guitar tech said 68 songs done - working on 14 more"

Source: http://gnrontour.com/sets2001/20011229reviews.html

Naturally, re-recording, things get dropped, etc. It's just interesting to hear the ~70 song number from another source.

Nice find!

The 70-or-so songs came straight from Axl in late '99, in an audio interview with Kurt Loder.

"We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs."

By what band members have told, this amount comes from two lists, the A-list having songs for CD with vocals, while the B-list had sketchier bits, and likely most of the EDM material. To understand the situation, we need to remember a lot of stuff was pooled from the midnight jams Dizzy, Paul & co. were having in '95-'98. Beavan came in and they started piecing the most promising stuff into complete songs.

It was a completely new way to make a rock album; sampling things out of jams and using the state-of-the-art digital technology. DJ Shadow's AFD. The early sessions with Moby might've ingrained Axl with the idea that EDM is another possibility down the line. Of course, Bob Ezrin's stance on the Beavan-CD probably killed that idea.

From Robin's viewpoint, it was around 68 songs done, as he'd be done with recording them. But 14 new songs since '99 is a lot. Axl broached that the next autumn in a UK show.

"You'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks."

Pretty much the entire A-list of '99. It sort of suggests to me that during the Village years, Axl was winding down on an EDM album and opting the delve the funky sounds of Bucket and Brain instead.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

in my very humble opinion, there's just the nostalgia tour in 2017, possibly also a couple of more years. by that time they will become tired with all the thing and the whole thing collapses, without any real recording or even releasing.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
zombux wrote:

in my very humble opinion, there's just the nostalgia tour in 2017, possibly also a couple of more years. by that time they will become tired with all the thing and the whole thing collapses, without any real recording or even releasing.

A new album cobbled together from the most conservative songs left in the vault / unfinished by the old band seems the most plausible of the implausible, near miraculous scenarios.

apex-twin wrote:

From Robin's viewpoint, it was around 68 songs done, as he'd be done with recording them. But 14 new songs since '99 is a lot. Axl broached that the next autumn in a UK show.

"You'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks."

Nothing new of course but all you can do is sigh.

apex-twin wrote:

Pretty much the entire A-list of '99. It sort of suggests to me that during the Village years, Axl was winding down on an EDM album and opting the delve the funky sounds of Bucket and Brain instead.

It fits the chinese whispers I heard back in the day about unfinished / material that will never be released. Such a waste.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

They can't even put out a retrospective album, or even a 30th anniversary edition of an old album.
They will never, ever release a new album.
The dream is over.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Gong wrote:

The dream is over.

I dreamed a dream of times gone by
When leaks were nigh and boards worth posting
I dreamed that Robins would forever fly
I dreamed that albums would be forthcoming

Then Axl was young and unassuaged
And riffs were made and used and wasted
There was no mansion to be paid
No songs undone, no shows lambasted

But the misers come at night
With their voices rising asunder
As they tear your record apart
As they turn your dream to shame

Bucket toured a summer by my side
He filled my bridge with endless wonder
He took my solo spot in his stride
But he was gone when Rio came
And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will shred the frets together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are projects we cannot weather

I had a dream of what Guns could be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now that Rose has killed
The dream I dreamed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Gong wrote:

They can't even put out a retrospective album, or even a 30th anniversary edition of an old album.

This is what worries me.

A 30th remaster set for AFD would have been easy to do yet they didn't do it.

It's really not a good sign.

I mean albums like STP's Core and Motley's Dr Feelgood got a 25th edition, and Def Lepard are releasing a massive Hysteria 30th this year....but for GNR with one of the most important albums in rock history......nothing at all.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Gong wrote:

They will never, ever release a new album.
The dream is over.

Reason suggests you're right, but Axl has wanted to put out a new album since 2008. He went as far as to suggest late 2009 in the Dexter chats. Big stepping stones have included, but not limited to, the deteriorating relationship with Azoff, the bashing Axl gave to the local branch of Universal soon after CD's release (messed-up booklet, et al), the non-eventful release and withering sales... Late 2009 soon became an impossibilty, because neither Axl nor the label were there.

However, late into the year Axl apparently made a break for it and at around mounting the Oriental shows, he started working with Pitman on those CD2 songs again. They got off the road in 2010, and went into the studio again. Only... something happened to Axl. It was similar to his blowback in 2009; again, he'd put in a good amount of weight since his last public appearance. Only it was worse.

Maybe it was the Azoff lawsuit, as it was decided Axl was obliged to tour Ticketmaster venues in the US, with Azoff getting a fair share of the spoils. Axl tells LA Times by the tour end that they'll release stuff  "as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels". He still needed someone to play the game on his behalf with the suits, and apparently, that ball was last touched when Azoff slamdunked a BestBuy exclusive.

Of course, the 2011 tour was a battlefield. Ron was coming down from his car accident, was on painkillers and drinking heavily. People had issues. When the boss of it all is phoning it in, underlings will follow. DJ's playing got sloppier, and while the fans cared, the band - less so. The album was a bit lost, per chance. Ron started to sound like Slash in '95, as in, "we need to get the band into a room and start working".

What they did manage to put together in 2012-14 was AFDem. It was a soft middle-of-the-road release - exclusively on Blu-Ray so they'd get good-looking headlines on how it topped the charts. More important must've been sussing out the works between Uni and Guns. There's all sorts of traffic that goes on in such transactions and AFDem hopefully ironed some post-CD wrinkles out.

After the 2014 residency and acquittal of the live band, Axl trademarked Stay of Execution and went into the studio with Pitman again. Fortus said Axl even recorded new vocals. He seemed to be in the loop, unlike Ron and DJ, and it's possible he's been in and out of Axl's studio, recording guitars.

Axl's played his hand on CD2 extremely close to his chest, enjoying its anonymity. It was a different story 20 years ago. The curiosity value had left, but also, the label was spoken for and work could be carried out in very small circles. Since CD, Caram has only AFDem to his name, which sort of implies he's been on retainer in the Guns camp all that time.

Of course, Pitman was pushed out early last year. Attitude. There's had to be a lot of ire and tension before that with Slash and Duff. CD2 was pushed back, because the re-boot of the live band was best served as another nostalgia tour. Then AC/DC happened and touring kept racking money.

It's as close as it always is.

Board footer