You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Corey Taylor bashes Scott Weiland

Neemo wrote:

i would agree with D that he is an icon

prolly one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) lyricists of the 90's

granted his wheels kinda fell off while he was in VR but he pretty much admitted to phoning it in for the $$$ for those albums...in that respect Corey is right to say that he is lazy

Corey if F'n amazing though, granted i havent seen him live so i'm purely judging my opinon on the studio material that i have heard...jsut cuz you guys dont like metal doesnt mean that you can jstu ignore his talent level...cuz its pretty high IMO

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i would agree with D that he is an icon

he is a  great frontman but he's not an icon. When you're nowhere near the top of the list within your peers let alone all time greats you're not an icon. Eddie, Kurt, Chris, Layne all rank higher than Scott in my opinion for what they created musically and lyrically. Icon status is reserved for legends not for guys like Scott Weiland.

Neemo wrote:

prolly one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) lyricists of the 90's

NO.

Neemo wrote:

Corey if F'n amazing though, granted i havent seen him live so i'm purely judging my opinon on the studio material that i have heard...jsut cuz you guys dont like metal doesnt mean that you can jstu ignore his talent level...cuz its pretty high IMO

I dont' think anything he does is great. I think Slipknot is shit and his solo stuff I found very bland and boring.  I didn't see anyone ignore is talent level. Expressing the opinion that you think someone sucks and saying they have no talent are two different things.  Personally I think he'd fucking blow in VR.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Neemo wrote:

This. He's an enigmatic frontman to see in action live. I've seen him both with Slipknot and Stone Sour and have been blown away by him on both occasions (not a Slipknot fan although they have some good songs, really like Stone Sour's first and second album). The rant at the beginning of this thread is exactly what you need to be able to expect from a rock n' roll frontman: they need to be opinionated assholes.

I might not agree with his point of view everytime, but I absolutely love the conviction in his delivery. It's great to listen to for his intonation and passion only.

It doesn't matter what you bring as much as how you bring it. But hey, I also think lyrics are of secondary importance to the melody and aggressiveness in a voice. A mnemonic to remember the melody by, not much more than that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree with a lot of that except the bit about lyrics just being used to remember the melody.

I hate it when i want to sing along to a tune and the lyrics are just one dimensional, and conversely, one of the things I love about Axl's lyrics is that they're real deep as a rule.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

...all rank higher than Scott in my opinion

well that says it all really 19 I've always been a big Scott fan, and the 1st 3 STP albums are absolutely killer, there was a time where the only albums i owned from that time frame were STP and Nirvana...Cobain and Weiland are tops FOR ME

I dont' think anything he does is great.

well he hardly creates stuff like Muse and U2 so its kind of understandable that you wouldnt like them

but IMO the majority of the Stone Sour stuff is pretty fucking awesome...i can see how his music doesnt appeal to everyone though...but as far as vocalists in this day and age he is near the top there is no doubt

so anyway, this thread is about a couple of frontman that i really dig...i'm gonna defend them 13

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I really dig this Stone Sour song. Plenty of passion behind what Corey's singing, even if it does come across a bit Nickelback-ish...

[youtube]qrv6sa0PrtU&ob=av2e[/youtube]

johndivney wrote:
-D- wrote:

Scott is an Icon an all time great

too many lulz in this
so funny man

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I dont' think anything he does is great.

well he hardly creates stuff like Muse and U2 so its kind of understandable that you wouldnt like them

Well that's pretty fucking condescending. Basically suggesting I can't and don't like anything that doesn't resemble U2. Guess I've been dupped by hard rock for years and should probably throw out half my music collection. Whatever dude.  roll

Funny how you mention Muse too as though they are one of my favorite bands which is not even remotley close to the truth they wouldn't even rank in my top 30. I don't even know they'd rank in my top 50 bands so.... Thanks for clarifying my musical taste for me though and how one dimmesnional it is all because I'm not a fan of Corey Taylor or Slipknot.  roll

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

ur welcome

sorry if i offended, wasnt my intent, was just stating that ur musical tastes appear, to me anyway, of a softer side of things as opposed to metal etc

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I really dig this Stone Sour song. Plenty of passion behind what Corey's singing, even if it does come across a bit Nickelback-ish...

Yeah that's the kind of the one that stresses me..it's a passionate beautiful song, but just something about his clean tone that's soooo Nickelback-radio....but that said he's def got talent and I always pick up new Stone Sour releases.

I'd be more interested in what he could do with this anger with Slash. As I like scott, but all of scotts songs are very pretty melody wise - and one thing Axl has is the pretty tunes but also the moments of screaming or other intensity.

Corey is no Axl, but some of the stone sour songs like "Come Whatever May" have a bit of intensity with the way he yells...so now I think about it it could be pretty fun in velvet revolver.

I was just worried he's kinda a 2 trick pony and no where near as musical a guy as scott...but he does come in handy.

Board footer