You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Current member poll

PaSnow wrote:

BH.  Then myb Tommy for sticking around so long but on the other hand...

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Buckethead, Tommy, and Frank define New GNR to me.

Frank because I met him and he was super nice to me and my friends in 07 (08? Can't remember.) He is a badass drummer.

Buckethead because I love his solo work and he carried so much talent into the band.

Tommy because he's been there since the start for Axl/New GNR

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Do you really need to know what I think?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Can't possibly pick 1 as they each seem to do something, so I'm just going to comment not vote:

Buckethead: Amazing guitarist but I prefer his solo stuff. Would have loved a soothsayer moment in GNR but it didn't seem to happen. I know everyone wants him back but I'm not sure he was ever really a good fit for GNR. I know Axl loves different directions but I see buck as pulling everything everyway at once and I'm not sure you can make those fragments into a whole in a band context like GNR. I like what he plays but I just dont seem him as the lead guitarist in a band. He's an artist and a solo dude to me.

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal: Love him. Firstly amazing human being who is sweet as fuck to crazy fanjobs like me. Secondly - great fix for GNR after bucket left  - as he can seriously play anything on guitar - and also doesn't have a big ego or particular agenda to force in the band. Team player but with wordclass top level shred skills that are hard to fathom.

Paul Tobias: Didn't add much live. Apparently he wrote some of the tracks that got axl started on this journey. I respect that as I love those songs. But I think maybe he's best behind the scenes as a muse for Axl. No need to have him as an active band member.

Robin Finck: Mixed views. Never should have been made the guitarst who did the bulk of the slash replication live. He just either didn't have the chops or didn't respect the melodies enough to do them justice. I think Slash would always have been nearly impossible to replace but doing it with Robin really added to the controversy and caused a high percentage of people who otherwise might have accepted 2000 era GNR to reject it. That said...love his lead work on the Chinese Democracy songs. I personally would have hired him in a richard style roll. On slash's stuff he could be izzy while someone else did lead - but then let him break out of that rutt for his CD solos. Would have been better to my tastes. With apologies to Russ...he's an acquired taste and I think the band is better without him if the only other choice is to make him the primary soloist.

Richard Fortus: Rock solid. Never done anything that upsets me.

DJ Ashba: Stage presence drips of his influences to a point where it's almost overwhelming and thus a little odd. No disrespect to him...just has that "I want to be Slash/Mick Mars" vibe so strongly that you have to pay close attention to notice underneath the look and pose he's actually a great player and a great composer and not just a clone. Best thing to happen to GNR in a while though. DJ plays Slash properly and his writing will be great for the band. Very happy he's around. I just need to get more comftorable with his immage..but musically he's a great idea.

General Tommy Stinson: Seems to keep Axl grounded and they say he's the ringmaster so I respect that. Solid bass lines - no issues for me. Obviously I miss Duff but in a world where duff isn't the bass player for GNR then it might as well be tommy.

Chris MOTHER GOOSE Pitman: Important for Axl's vision and the production side of it. As a guitar focused dude I could mostly take it or leave it. But he was a cool guy when I met him and anyone who inspires Axl to create is a good dude. I think he'll turn out to be untra important if the CD2 tracks are as speculated - further from the traditional GNR sound.

Mr. Dizzy Reed: Dizzy is a fixture. He's great at what he does.

Frank Thunderchucker Ferrer: Best drummer GNR has had yet IMO. Perfect mix of steven/matt/brain's styles with his own spin on things. Wish he lived in my suburb and I could jam with him wink

Bryan Brain Mantia: Didn't do anything special for me. Don't miss him personally but I know some do.

Josh Freese: Same as Brain!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I'm loving the elaborations and descriptions of everyone's choices. Keep it up. Personally I choose Ron, DJ, Chris, Dizzy, and Bucket. Richard is an amazing player though and brings that GNR punk attitude which I like seeing in the live performances. Frank is the best live drummer they ever had since Sorum and listening to him on Bumble's solo stuff has been a pleasure too. I'm glad he adding his sound to some of the CD tracks. Even though I think Brain's style is quite interesting; but Frank has the drum sound GNR needs right now.  Tommy is a bad ass bass player and has helped kept the legacy alive with his backing vocals and constant support. I loved Robin's guitar solo and parts on Chinese Democracy. He was an important member of the new generation of Guns after the UYI/TSI lineups fell apart. I just think DJ plays Slash's parts better live now there is more of that Guns sound in them. I liked that Robin brought his own feel to them. No problems with any of the alumni that are still in or have left the band.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Bucket.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Plus Ron is a badass on a double neck guitar!! My man Frank The Thunderchucker Tank Ferrer. I think if these guys help the other guys with the record I think it will please die hard Guns fans as well as fans like us that stuck by every era/lineup of the band.  I'm just hoping the band comes back to the states soon and does a long show in my area!! I need to get my ass kicked by Guns N' Roses!! The show would just be amazing!!

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer