You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Finally

apex-twin wrote:

I love 'em.

Glorious.

Rock N Roll is supposed to be hideously stupid, you know. Anyone who disagrees is obviously not in on the joke.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I just wish they didn't waste their talent on humour.

The Dead Milkmen had a modest career out of it:

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I love 'em.

Glorious.

Rock N Roll is supposed to be hideously stupid, you know. Anyone who disagrees is obviously not in on the joke.

I couldn't disagree more. Rock N Roll is supposed to be fun and cool, not dorky and lame.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Rest, my case.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That doesn't prove anything, that's also a lame dorky song.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

You're not very fun and cool with those responses, to be sure.

Lomax wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I love 'em.

Glorious.

Agreed. Even a lot of GNR stuff is pretty ridiculous, doesn't make it any less good.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

In case I sounded overtly facetious towards Metallex,

Bands like Mötley Crue and KISS owe a lot to Gary Glitter. Girls, Girls, Girls doesn't exactly evoke impressions of great poetry, now does it? Having a good time, sex and/or various substances means you check your brain out on the way in.

Some of the stuff Axl and Guns have done (Anything Goes, Rocket Queen, Nightrain, etc.) are all lyrically very low-brow, no two ways about it. Ax later grew up a bit and has since written many poignant songs about man-passion (Estranged, The Blues), that have Real Life issues going for them, and they certainly don't tickle my funny bone.

But Rock N Roll, at the heart of it all, is simple-minded and silly. This doesn't make it any less enjoyable to me, tho.

If you take fun too seriously, you're missing out. Seriously.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting posts, I tend to disagree a little though.

Aside from Cornshucker, Used To Love Her,  and possibly You Aint the First I don't see a lot humour in GNR.

Sure some of it is quite profound (Eg Coma, Catcher in the Rye) and some of it is more direct (Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues) but I feel it all comes from a very  sincere and real place.

The fascinating thing about Axl is that both those parts of him seem to be very real. I can imagine he's capable of being a very loving and tender partner, then again, I wouldn't be surprised to learn he'd smashed up the apartment in a temper one night either.

So while some of GNR might be simple minded and some of it deep, I don't see any of it as silly, it's just that it taps into real emotions that exist in us all, from complex love and existentialism, to cold animalistic sexual appetite and pure hatred and anger. But there's nothing silly about that to me.

It's probably what puts GNR above the other bands you mention. The fact that it's very serious.

That said...I enjoy these fun bands as well. The "I like it" song is this thread is pretty fun, as is Electric Six, as is Steel Panther. So there's a place for both to me.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I disagree about Crue & GnR being similar.  There was a guy with a schtick about 10 years ago, Andrew WK, who these guys more remind me of.

Board footer