You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Niven says Stage Fright Causes Axl's Lateness

Bono wrote:
sandman wrote:

anyway, i really think Axl's stage fright is PART of the problem. i think him coming on late gives him a feeling of control, which he really needs to be able to perform well. i think he needs that control in part because of stage fright,but also just because he's a perfectionist. i think he puts too much pressure on himself and being "in control" helps with the anxiety he creates for himself. .

14 Whatever. Axl is NOT a perfectionist. The production on CD is a prime example of that. Also a  perfectionist shows up on time, they show up for rehearsals, they make sure the sound tech guys have shit down before hand not left to work out the kinks during the main event because the so called perfectionist didn't show up for soundcheck. It's hilarious to see in 2012 how many people continue to make up dellusional bullshit excuses for Axl Rose. Bottom line is perfectionists do things perfectly. They don't use being a perfectionist as an excuse for constantly being anything but perfect.

-D- wrote:

Dont agree

any dude that can get up there in his tighty whiteys ain't afraid of shit.

16 So fucking true!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Sandman is on to something that going on late gives him a sense of control.

On the perfectionist thing, that it would make him go to practice and record a certain way... Look at Howard Hughes. A complete germaphobe, but lived in utter filth. He did things no one could understand, mostly alone, but it made him feel in control.

It doesn't help Axl that he keeps giving out lame excuses why he does things, but at the same time, it could be embarrassing, and perhaps he can't accept some of his problems. I don't know, I don't like playing psychologist.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think Sandman is on to something that going on late gives him a sense of control.

On the perfectionist thing, that it would make go to practice and record a certain way... Look at Howard Hughes. A complete germaphobe, but lived in utter filth. He did things no one could understand, mostly alone, but it made him feel in control.

It doesn't help Axl that he keeps giving out lame excuses why he does things, but at the same time, it could be embarrassing, and perhaps he can't accept some of his problems. I don't know, I don't like playing psychologist.

Yeah, I agree with sandman too.  Axl may not be a "perfectionist" by the true meaning of the word.  I think it's more like sandman was saying, he likes to be in control.  So everything has to be perfect "to him".

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

he`s certainly not appearing late for the sake of it. too many dollars at stake for that... the late night fees seem to lessen the band`s salary by a good chunk

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah, I agree with sandman too.  Axl may not be a "perfectionist" by the true meaning of the word.  I think it's more like sandman was saying, he likes to be in control.  So everything has to be perfect "to him".

Ok in that sense I can understand it. Not perfect but on his terms. I get that.

Still think he goes on late just for the fuck of it. Wasn't there a show a few weeks back that started like the minute after a college football bowl game ended. Gee I wonder what was going on there.

If you told Axl he had a start time of 5 pm he'd be on stage by 6:30pm. If he had to be on by noon he'd be on by 1:30pm. He just does it because he does it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Dont agree

any dude that can get up there in his tighty whiteys ain't afraid of shit.

big_smile I lol'd at that...but I actually think you're wrong about it.

I think there's soft romantic Axl who writes November Rain and tried to win back his woman on a horse, then there's angry Axl who writes Get in the Ring and pushed a grand piano out a glass window. They are the same guy.

Likewise I suspect there's timid home Axl, who we got a little glimpse of at that basketball game, he doesn't like the media attention, is high critical and analytical of himself and everyone else. Probably sees the things we see that's wrong with GNR and sees them 10 times worse. Then there's axl the rock god with no fear who will take on an entire crowd in his undies and fight the guy in the front with the camera. Also the same guy. The key is getting which one you need on which day you need it.

The whole tent off stage thing and the retreats from stage is also consistent with an element of a security blanket, as is only adding 1 new song to the setlist a year...you know you can do that show cos you survived it last time.

Also - like u say - make it 5 and he goes on at 6.30 - you could say it's a diva, but I can say it's just further proof that it's not the actual start time that's the problem - it's the actual act of going on stage at all at any predetermined moment.

I think there's been a lot of excuses over the years, partially cos of perspective and partially cos it's not exactly rock and roll to come out and say you have anxiety.

Apologies to Axl if I'm off base here, but this theory really seems the most plausible to me. Seems to explain a lot of prior events, from the late starts, to the way major shows often are the ones that go wrong, to the stagnant set list to the reclusive behaviour before and after gigs and to the wall his handlers keep him behind.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

On the perfectionist thing, that it would make go to practice and record a certain way... Look at Howard Hughes. A complete germaphobe, but lived in utter filth. He did things no one could understand, mostly alone, but it made him feel in control.

that's exactly what i meant. and maybe perfectionist isn't the right word. although if you really think about it, everyone has a different definition of what makes someone a perfectionist. it's not really the actions that make someone a perfectionist, it's more their state of mind.

maybe a better way of describing it is Axl puts way too much pressure on himself cause he worries too much about how his performance is percieved.

but in alot of ways, he does strive for perfection. and like i said, that's perfection in HIS mind, not ours. the guy had one of the most legedary guitarists come in and record for a few days and didn't use his stuff. we all thought May's work was better. he didn't. and the fact that he didn't use it says alot. i mean don't you just put it on there out of respect to the guy (not to mention the added credibility it would have brought)???. it wasn't THAT different. but it wasn't what the song needed in his view. there's some ridiculously high standard in his mind that he is trying to live up to.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Well, I often get the feeling that Axl doesn't give a shit and hates the shows, but he's an energy vampire, and as soon as the audience's anger and hatred got high enough after the long wait, he gets his junk and he's swirling out on a tornado as an ancient evil god who rules the fn' jungle.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

stage fright would cause a person to not want to go on stage

but it wouldn't cause them to avoid wearing tighty whitties or perform well.

once you get him on stage he's a mostly uninhibited version of himself.

i definitely believe there is substance to the claim of him having stage fright and that it has caused reluctancy to perform at many times over the years.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Naked on stage? Not many rock singers have sported less clothes than Axl in his whities, so what's the deal with that?

I don't deny he's suffering from stage fright, I'm sure he does and I'm sure it's PART of his lateness.

But it's never ONE single reason for his lateness. It's a combination of everything from stage fright to perfectionism to just simply being a prick.

Niven shouldn't be questioned in that, if he says it I believe it. But I don't belive it's the single reason.

Board footer