You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

metallex78 wrote:

I think it's simple:

Guns N' Roses are being inducted.

Axl believes that HE is Guns N' Roses.

So I think he'll show up just to claim the honor for himself.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am willing to bet that Axl and Slash have met quietly already, probably via Duff. Axl seems waaaay too calm and content these days and seems happy about this impending ceremony. This is not the behaviour of a man who is famously, notoriously easy to disturb, disrupt and shut down. He even bombed his own comeback album because he was pissed with Azoff so I have no doubt he would toss this ceremoney just as easily....

Remember how agitated Uncle Ax got people that disturb his peace..I'm thinking the '02 rants about the old band, I'm thinking back as far as Warren Beatty and Kurt Cobain, I'm thinking the Slash rants and Get in the Ring.

The guy is just far too calm at the moment.. I think he and Slash must have spoken or met and have decided that the war is over. I think Axl may have had this and some other issues laid to rest as part of some personal breakthrough. He's coming back to play in Dublin to make up for the last mess..that's not the Axl I rememeber..

Anyway, I hope they make up just to see what the little snakes in HTGTH have to say!!!

Intersting. I never considerd that. Would be cool if you're right.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

They're basically playing for a new crowd every night. I'm not sold that everyone is watching these streams. And as I've said before, the reviews have been stellar, even fan reviews.

Theyre playing the songs the fans want to hear. I'd love for them to play TWAT, ITW and IRS. If they were playing brand new songs would that make me see the band more than once? Probably not. ABout as much as if they played Perfect Crime or Yesterdays. I'd like a good boot for any new music. I'd really like them to release a new song in recorded form first. But, I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over it.

There are some signs that they might bust something new out on the Euro tour. Maybe they won't. I doubt the crowds over there will care, or be that heartbroken if it doesn't.

I'd think he'd want to roll out any new music the right way.

As just an  example and not a "vs" thing that some might take it as.... I can tell you for a fact I go to multiple U2 shows every time they tour BECAUSE the show is different every time. People always ask me why I'd keep going to see the same show and I always tell them it's never the same show and that's the truth. Saw them 9 times on the 360 tour and I sure as shit would not go to see the same show 9 times. I've seen U2 16 times total and not a single show was the same.  I've seen U2 on back to back nights twice and I was so appreciative that the shows were different and by four songs each time. And you know what... Every time they still managed to play the songs people wanted to hear.  Varying your setlist makes a huge difference whether people want to admit it or not. Changing things up is what keeps people coming back again and again.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^

Pearl Jam is like that, too.

With GN'R its a bit different, in that they can only vary it up so much. U2 and PJ have lots of great material to make it a different show every night.

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^

Pearl Jam is like that, too.

With GN'R its a bit different, in that they can only vary it up so much. U2 and PJ have lots of great material to make it a different show every night.

Pearl Jam is the epitomy of it for sure. I don't belive Gn'R is lacking material to switch their set up at all.  What's so hard for Gn'R to toss in Yesterdays, Dead Horse, DTJ, ITW, Sorry, Breakdown, Used to Love Her, Bad Obsession, DDM, Dust n' Bones here and there?  That's 10 songs right there. Easy. Set list switched up.

Really the ONLY songs that NEED to be played are Jungle, PC, SCOM, Nightrain, NR, YCBM  that's about it really. Everything else could easily be substituted on a nightly basis and it would be cool as fuck. Gn'R have a lot of material to choose from. There's no reason why Gn'R can't switch the set up by about 4 songs every night.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd LOVE to hear Yesterdays again. I could live without the other stuff off UYI. But there's no reason not to play IRS. One of the new songs he sounds best on live, imo. I'd love it to be a staple.

I guess Axl has a setlist and likes to stick to it 16

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

i don`t think it`s really appropriate to bitch about the setlists anymore...  first time i saw gnr was at rock am ring and they played 17 songs, 8 being from appetite and it was a fantastic show. now they`re playing almost 10 more songs, including a lot of chinese democracy stuff, don`t cry, civil war and estranged! i personally can`t wait for that! axl getting in a better shape would be appreciated though...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I never said everyone is watching these streams. But clearly the arena shows were not selling out. In the case of the fanbase, their attendance becomes much more important when the rest of the nation fails to show up.

G&R have been exclusively playing these hits since 2001. I don't know if you are sincerely going to argue that they can get away with a nostalgia tour every four or so years, but I certainly will argue that the band will continue to be in stasis mode, selling 6000 tickets or less per venue if this trend continues.

I think you truly underestimate the effect a new song can have on a tour. Especially a good one. Especially one tied to a movie and a single. Most bands tour on something, and not simply the past. G&R seem to feel different. Perhaps that is why their numbers have been so poor. Look at what Van Halen is doing right now.  Hell, even AC DC back when whispers of Chinese were in the air. It is possible to sell out based on a few decent new tracks and a solid catalog.

Well, my panties are in a bunch b/c Axl doesn't have another 20 years to figure this out. He is approaching the twilight of his career yet we have exactly one album of material since the old band busted.  Tours like this keep the porchlight on, produce poor attendance numbers, and pay salaried band members. And not much else unless you like to hear this band wail through Appetite's greatest hits yet again.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think YOU have more faith in this lineup than I do.  I don't think this lineup can do much better attendance wise, whether they have a new single, album, video, the ghost of Jimi Hendrix on lead guitar.  Okay, so maybe that last one could make a difference.

I think this lineup's potential is capped to where it is, in the US.  Maybe it could go up slightly.  But I don't foresee ANYTHING making a huge difference.  People have made up their minds that THIS isn't GNR.  A new single they like isn't going to change that fact.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see things.

Kinda agree...

There's a good posibility that THIS is as big as this version of GNR is gonna get. They are playing stadiums and huge arenas around the world. And the US has proven that they can't play the sort of venues they play in South America.

So this is where we're at. I don't mind and for all we know the band doesen't mind.

Some of you seem to be upset about the fact that the band isn't a MASSIVE hit.

The band hasn't played in New York since 2006. There's 8 MILLION people living there and the band is playing 3 or 4 small club gigs. And the band seems to be having a blast!

Being upset about the fact that they COULD do better if this and that happened doesen't seem to apply to enough people that it's gonna cause ANY sort of drastic change in ANY direction.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I guess Axl has a setlist and likes to stick to it

I bet its cause he won't get off his ass and relearn any more old tunes.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am willing to bet that Axl and Slash have met quietly already, probably via Duff.

+1

Board footer