You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

metallex78 wrote:

Sounds like a "modern rock" radio song. Undecided until I hear it in full, but I'm not hearing anything amazing yet.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Sounds like a "modern rock" radio song. Undecided until I hear it in full, but I'm not hearing anything amazing yet.

That's exactly why I'm not really digging it. Slash is way more talented than the garbage on rock radio these days, so it's disappointing when he chooses to play along those lines. I much prefer the more soulful stuff from him, whether it's classic GN'R or "Starlight."

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

If i like it everybody should damn it!!!

I agree with u dude.. I do have a problem with that... no idea why i am that way. glad u guys tolerate me anyway! smile

-D-

-D- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

That's exactly why I'm not really digging it. Slash is way more talented than the garbage on rock radio these days, so it's disappointing when he chooses to play along those lines. I much prefer the more soulful stuff from him, whether it's classic GN'R or "Starlight."

I'll say this:

Slash is an Indy artist at this point. He has to play the game somewhat, has to sell records or he has no career.

Unlike Axl, he is having to build a brand from scratch essentially. not easy for a non singing guitarist to build a successful career... So in order to do so, u kinda have to do some dumb shit :Grammy's,Super Bowl etc.. but look at all the exposure u get from that.

So I sometimes give Slash a pass cause he is at least out there using his own name and doing his best to be a success.. If that means he has to do some formulatic radio friendly songs here n there.. I am down with it.

I'm sure, Like the Van Halen album... u will have an entire album full of kick ass rock but a few hit type songs mixed in.

Slash has to do what he can.. i respect that.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yer am just glad he releasese an album ever couple of year then wait ever 14 years

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'll say this:

Slash is an Indy artist at this point. He has to play the game somewhat, has to sell records or he has no career.

Unlike Axl, he is having to build a brand from scratch essentially. not easy for a non singing guitarist to build a successful career... So in order to do so, u kinda have to do some dumb shit :Grammy's,Super Bowl etc.. but look at all the exposure u get from that.

So I sometimes give Slash a pass cause he is at least out there using his own name and doing his best to be a success.. If that means he has to do some formulatic radio friendly songs here n there.. I am down with it.

I'm sure, Like the Van Halen album... u will have an entire album full of kick ass rock but a few hit type songs mixed in.

Slash has to do what he can.. i respect that.

While he has done a good job in terms of creating a brand with a new generation of music fans, I don't really think you have to "sell out" to do it. My favorite artist at the moment is the Civil Wars. Love the fact that their album and touring are completely stripped down. No bullshit. Just good old fashioned acoustic guitar with great vocal harmonizing.

And they are building a fanbase with absolutely zero major label support. The more people that hear their stuff, the more people are being turned onto it. They aren't having to "sell out" either. They recently did a song with Taylor Swift and somehow managed to make her sound good for the first time ever, and they did it by having her sing with them over an acoustic guitar. They made a song that fits the Civil Wars' catalog, but not necessarily Taylor Swift's catalog. I think the Civil Wars just have the golden touch. 16

-D-

-D- wrote:

yeah but its a completely different dynamic.

Slash is going from being world famous in an all time great band to a solo artist.

Much easier starting from scratch in some respects than constantly being in the shadow of something so huge.

Think about it: Name another Non Singing guitarist that has had the success Slash has had. I'm sure there are some but it has to be a short list.it is something to be credited imo.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

yeah but its a completely different dynamic.

Slash is going from being world famous in an all time great band to a solo artist.

Much easier starting from scratch in some respects than constantly being in the shadow of something so huge.

Think about it: Name another Non Singing guitarist that has had the success Slash has had. it is something to be credited imo.

I actually think Slash is under less pressure than Axl, who chose to cheat by getting the GN'R name and then putting out a bunch of music that isn't really GN'R. The pressure of having that name is one of the biggest reasons he needed 15 years to even put something out. Would have been better off if he did like Adler said and named his new band "W.A.R." or simply gone by Axl Rose. I wonder how many times he heard classic GN'R songs over the years and had an epiphany, "Son of a bitch, there's no way I can match THAT." 14

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I thought it sounded alright. It's only 20 seconds though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't mind if the chorus is radio rockish like that. To me it's just modern in the way like slither is modern. Myles has a radio rock voice always has. The key is will it contain enough slashish elements as well as being radio rock, and are there some classic rock moments to go with the radio. For example does myles hit some crazy high notes like in starlight somewhere....and more importantly...does slash rip us a new ass with a solo....

I'm hoping the second half of this track features a killer solo and outro like "vengance is mine". Then it would be the best of both worlds...modern and radio friendly..but bad ass in that way that slash is!!!

Board footer