You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: 20 Seconds of the new Slash Song "You're A Lie" from Apocalyptic Lov

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

As for Myles voice, nobody has been more harsh on him than me. But I recently gave Creed a second chance (now that high school is long over and I can seperate the fans from the music), and after I jumped from Creed to Alter Bridge.

I'm on the first AB album and... man... Myles voice is just something that appeals to a certain audience I guess. The songs work, but not because Myles is this "amazing" vocalist. Maybe Myles takes some seasoning, but jumping immediately from Scott Stapp to Myles is even more of a stark contrast to the ears. It makes Stapp sound better, and Myles sound even worse. hmm

I'll keep giving the guy a try. I really want to like him, if just for the fact that Slash is obviously walking into the future for a long period of time with him as HIS vocalist. hmm

I don't like Creed, mostly because of Scott Stapp's monotone, bad Eddie Vedder rip off vocals. I can't believe you prefer Scott to Myles, but each to their own.

I actually think Myles sounds a little like Chris Cornell on the first Alter Bridge album, and the band sounds more metal than the post-grunge rock that Creed seem to play.

Myles seems to allow Mark Tremonti to be more of a metal player, and he seems to allow Slash to be more of himself too. This can only be a good thing when you consider that both Scotts (Stapp and Weiland) seemed to keep their respective guitarists on a leash when it came to soloing.

Lomax wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

As for Myles voice, nobody has been more harsh on him than me. But I recently gave Creed a second chance (now that high school is long over and I can seperate the fans from the music), and after I jumped from Creed to Alter Bridge.

I'm on the first AB album and... man... Myles voice is just something that appeals to a certain audience I guess. The songs work, but not because Myles is this "amazing" vocalist. Maybe Myles takes some seasoning, but jumping immediately from Scott Stapp to Myles is even more of a stark contrast to the ears. It makes Stapp sound better, and Myles sound even worse. hmm

I'll keep giving the guy a try. I really want to like him, if just for the fact that Slash is obviously walking into the future for a long period of time with him as HIS vocalist. hmm

I don't like Creed, mostly because of Scott Stapp's monotone, bad Eddie Vedder rip off vocals. I can't believe you prefer Scott to Myles, but each to their own.

I actually think Myles sounds a little like Chris Cornell on the first Alter Bridge album, and the band sounds more metal than the post-grunge rock that Creed seem to play.

Myles seems to allow Mark Tremonti to be more of a metal player, and he seems to allow Slash to be more of himself too. This can only be a good thing when you consider that both Scotts (Stapp and Weiland) seemed to keep their respective guitarists on a leash when it came to soloing.

No one is denying that. Alter Bridge are a great great band BUT Myles doesn't sing the Slash material the same way he sings the alter bridge material.

With AB stuff he really honors the songs singing in just the right way for each song. He's good really good and AB are great.

However on the Slash stuff, he showboats needlessly. He's aware it's his meal ticket and he wants the world to see how good he is. He doesn't honor the songs, and to be frank Slash is too fucking dumb to notice it.

Slash ain't smart, he's not even kind of smart, he's made some fucking dumb mistakes, one of them being Myles. That guy is using him to make his name.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.

Myles is the first singer Slash has worked with since Axl that has a big range and is capable of those blistering high notes.

He's not show boating, he's just utilising what his gift is, it's no more showboating than when slash plays a solo, for me it's what I want them to do.

At the moment myles probably shines on the AB material, but that's because it's tailored to his voice, as is Back from Cali and Starlight, whereas the GNR covers he's doing an good job of facilitating slash playing the classics - but bottom line is they're not designed for him they're Axl's lyrics.

Also, despite that he seems to be able to hit the crazy g# or whatever it is, he seems to be an all class guy with a bit of humility about him, much respect to him from me.

Lomax wrote:

I've played people starlight and they've asked "is he for real ?" during the chorus

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Riad wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

No one is denying that. Alter Bridge are a great great band BUT Myles doesn't sing the Slash material the same way he sings the alter bridge material.

With AB stuff he really honors the songs singing in just the right way for each song. He's good really good and AB are great.

However on the Slash stuff, he showboats needlessly. He's aware it's his meal ticket and he wants the world to see how good he is. He doesn't honor the songs, and to be frank Slash is too fucking dumb to notice it.

Slash ain't smart, he's not even kind of smart, he's made some fucking dumb mistakes, one of them being Myles. That guy is using him to make his name.

I wouldn't mine making his mistakes he's probably made more $$$ then all of us put tOgether

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

"post grunge".  I don't get what that genre includes....  Nickelback, creed, hootie, matchbox 20, collective soul, limp biscuit, candlebox, default, fuel, blues traveler, sisterhazel, train.. Are all those bands "post grunge"?  They sound like just rock to me...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Or corporate rock with some pop rock. Early collective soul had some grunge motifs.

Lomax wrote:
gibbo wrote:
Riad wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I wouldn't mine making his mistakes he's probably made more $$$ then all of us put tOgether

For sure. Me neither, I do think if I were in his position though, I'd be back in GNR

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was thinking about that the other day.

When you consider that they were offered something insane a while back - like $150m or $200m or whatever adler says it was...then it actually takes a remarkable degree of character from all involved to hold onto the drama and not just take a pay day wink

As for starlight....I'll grant you riad that it's unsingable...I sing along in my head or miming or down about 2 octaves...hahah.....I love the song though.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

"post grunge".  I don't get what that genre includes....  Nickelback, creed, hootie, matchbox 20, collective soul, limp biscuit, candlebox, default, fuel, blues traveler, sisterhazel, train.. Are all those bands "post grunge"?  They sound like just rock to me...

They had a show on VH1 Classic, Metal Evolution, that explored all the different factions of Metal.  Post grunge includes bands like Nickelback, Creed, Candlebox, etc.  Not Limp Bizkit, they're nu-metal I believe.  Here's the Grunge episode, followed by Post Grunge if you want to check it out.

http://www.vh1.com/video/metal-evolutio … list.jhtml

Board footer