You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash Apocalytipic Love album/singles Chart positions

Lomax wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Poor Riad, I've come across rotting bodies that are less offensive

You cum on rotting bodies?... You're sick...

-D- wrote:

Let me repeat that slow so someone like u can understand... I-T  W-A-S S-T-I-L-L -A- -R-O-C-K- -S-O-N-G-

unlike your boy trying to be a fake ass wanna be Trent Reznor.

It was a shit song. The hat is made of diamonds. Rock isn't inherently better than any other genre and I think Axl is as much of a fool.

I'm not playing your "your guy vs my guy" game.

I'm playing the "People not playing the Axl/Slash game VS People playing the Axl/Slash game"  game.

It's much more entertaining.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Are you about eleven?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

When I first heard Snakepit I can't tell you how disappointed I was. Meh... It's really not worth getting into, because I know this is going to start something and I don't mean it to.

It's interesting how tastes vary as that album is one of my favourites of all time. To me it was so good that I was a little disappointed with Snakepit2 at first as it's stylistically a different record. I think it comes down to what a person is expecting from the record though. I mean without Axl you don't get Axl type sounds...but riff wise Snakepit 1 has some classic Slash stuff to me.

misterID wrote:

Seriously. Axl could have felt abandoned when Slash made it clear he wasn't going to work that hard. That basically they weren't on the same team anymore.

Interesting theory. Then again it's perspective. I mean Slash has done at least an album worth of guest spots, Snakepit 1, Snakepit 2, Contraband, Libertad, Slash, and Apocalyptic Love - he also plays hundreds of live shows a year in recent years. When he isn't doing that he's promoting and making appearances. In many ways he's one of the hardest working men in rock music.

But I see what you mean. He needed to tour to stay off drugs and hence alive. So it's possible he doesn't like the drawn out tinkering process Axl has in mind. Then again - who is right about that? Nothing on the GNR records sounds like it was rushed guitar wise - yet it was all done years before Axl nailed his vocals. At the same time - CD took forever but I'm one of the few who likes the final version best.

Maybe they just have different work paces. It's not about effort or ability. Some people just do their best work over time and some people do it impromptu.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

No disrespect to anyone on this forum, and maybe it's because I'm a guitarist...but I really don't understand how people can say Slash's solo stuff sucks guitar wise.

It would be like if Axl's songs had average drumming to say he's lost his edge as a vocalist and piano player. Some of the singing in Slash's stuff isn't up to par - but the riffs are.

How can you listen to By The Sword and say that's a bad guitar riff? Or Sucker Tain Blues or Watch This!

I could understand it if you don't like GNR either - but people who like patience, and perfect crime and so on?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Dammit - had to log in twice in one day after 4 months of silence!

I don't like Snakepit (either one), and you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Slash fan than I am.  Love VR, thought the solo album was okay...not great, but much better than snakepit.

Who thought I'd be logging in just to defend ID?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

For the record I'm not in anyway questioning that ID or Buzz are fans.

I just find it really curious how people like one thing and not another.
And i'm also talking specifically about the guitar lines not the vocals or the overall songs.

My issue is I think a lot of the talk about Axl/Slash is predicated on this idea that Slash's guitar playing has decreased in standard out of GNR and I feel it's  inaccurate. The overall songs may not be as good as they lack Axl/Duff etc but Slash's own parts have improved if anything.

The solo to something like "Doctor Alibi" or "Nothing to Say" is actually superior to "It's So Easy" if you listen to just the solos. As a complete song I prefer ISE as I like Axl's voice and then general song is fun - but if you are going to stack up Slash's parts against each other alone - then I'm not sure where this idea that he doesn't work hard comes from.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I guess it all comes down to taste.

Just to me Slash has a very distinctive style. So it's wierd to me that someone would enjoy it in GNR but hate it in snakepit.

I understand hating the snakepit singer...but that's different.

But the world works that way I guess. Like i'm obsessed with women and so on like most guys, but occasionally there's a famous model or something that everyone is into and I just don't see why. And my friends will be like "How can you like girl A and B but not C" and I guess that's what I'm doing to you guys with this. I just don't understand how people can listen to My Michelle and enjoy it then hear the new Anastasia riff from slash and say "well, he's not playing great since 1992 - Axl's right that he doesn't try". No offense guys it just blows my mind how others don't see it my way I guess.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Listened to Contraband today and it still kicks ass 8 years later.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

This will get me abuse...but I miss Matt.

Sure he fucks girls and their moms but that motherfucker (lol) knows how to hit the drums.

So many good beats on Contraband, and of course shit like Locomotive. But it's the way he and duff locked into shit together.

Take Big Machine...lyrics are questionable..but Duff and Matt just pounding that intro live was amazing.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I try being objective and i try to figure out why people say Slash hasn't done anything post GNR.. so when i listen to Contraband.. i just don't get it. That CD is amazing all the way through.

I honestly like it WAYYYY better than CD. maybe cause its more aggressive and it has an AFD aggressive feel to the music.

I have a playlist when I run called Appetite for Contraband. Basically it alternates songs and CB songs get me just as fired up and adrenaline pumping as AFD songs.

of course CB isn't on THAT level but just the kick assness of it.

Board footer