You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bobo
 Rep: -7 

Re: Mar. 12th, 2012 - House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA

bobo wrote:
russtcb wrote:
bobo wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My deal is this;

I personally think Robin Finck was the best guitarist in the history of GN'R. I don't have to make up wild shit and claim it's opinion to think so, you dig?

robin WAS the best lead guitar player in guns n roses

Do you see what I fixed for you up there?

You get a few more posts like this tonight before you sit in the corner. And just to make things 100% crystal, you're going so far as to piss off possibly the most pro-R  o  b   in mod in the history of GN'R forums. Calm it down, or you're sitting out for a day or two.

sit in the corner? how do you know i'm pissing robin fans off? i'm a robin fan. duh. axl said "take shit from no one" and i'm telling it how i see it. i don't let others influence me. i don't follow the crowd. i don't roll over

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I will say this

U can compare CD solos to AFD/UYI solos

now i won't agree, but at least u have some tangible listenable arguments...

outside of solos..... Riff wise.. this album just don't have them..

Sorry, i can't see anybody arguing straight riffage.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Karma Russ. That guy was a clown. I like Robin(aside from stage presence) and in my opinion he has some of the absolute best moments on CD yet Bobo's posts were ridiculous and it was absolutely transparent what he was trying to do here.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bobo wrote:

second, finck is more than important on chinese. robin is the lead guitar player on the record like slash was on appetite

I know I said I'd let this go, but I can't decide if you're baiting us or legit can't tell the difference...so one more time....

I don't think anyone said he didn't play an important role on the record.

It's just slash was the sole lead player on an album of mostly guitar rockers. Robin is 1 of 3 lead players on an album of mostly ballads.
Totally different situation.

bobo wrote:

third, dj ashba isn't a good live guitar player. dj doesn't sound good on studio tracks.

What's the basis for this? What don't you like about his live playing? What's not good about his studio work?

i don't see a new record coming

Me either. Best guess for me is 2014.

hopefully this time dj ashba leaves and robin comes back to the band fulltime for the nostalgia classics!

I dont think a one of cameo means this will happen. Just as as Duff playing a show didn't mean tommy quit.

Bringing Robin in for the classics is an idea that I guess Russ would like but I'd say it's not the mainstream view.

I'd settle for 2006 axl though.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Opps. Just saw he's gone! Shocking that someone called Bobo happened to be a clown wink

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:

Im starting to come around to the idea that people can have different opinions than me. i just can't understand/comprehend how someone can think a solo is better than SCOM or NR.

Honestly, i just don't

hell even the KOHD solo Slash does is so underrated.

We haven't even mentioned his Estranged guitar stuff etc etc etc etc

For me Robin's version of SCoM was "take it or leave it". I don't know if I've ever posted this on a GN'R board, but I'm not that big of a fan of the song to begin with. So either solo is good by me but I'd probably lean toward to studio "iconic" version of the solo if a gun were to my head.

But that second solo in NR and the Patience solo are an entirely different story for me.

See, for me it's Robin's SCOM solo at RIR3 that's the definitive version.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:

those solo spots Robin did before SCOM had to be to purposely troll GNR fans.

worst shit ever.

That's one of the points the people at my show were grumbling. Crap.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Not to be controversial, but I remember I enjoyed his solo spot at the 2006 melbourne show..it was quite a bluesy guitar piece.

He's an interesting guitarist I'd say, because he has a unique "voice" on the guitar, as distinctive style of playing it that's unusual, and I see some value to that.

My issue with him was solely in relation to the slash solos. Like i'm tolerable on guitar and one of the joys of watching famous guitarists like slash is to go "wow, I can't really do what slash does, that's special" even when you can play the notes there's the feel and the touch. The problem with Robin was I was listening to those solos going "I can't do what Slash did, and I don't think you can either". Sorry to guys like russ who liked it. But to TBH i actually found it quite shocking that it was being allowed to happen - as note for note the renditions were just so inaccurate that it sounded unprofessional. Although i guess accuracy wasn't the point.

But that said. I think Robin does add a value to the band. He has that unique style, and he's clearly written some great stuff, and he's a very watchable player, the mistake to my mind was putting him in the role of a slash replacement, as he's sort of out of his depth there, well, it's not even that, it's just it highlights the wrong sides of his technique for the wrong reasons.

If GNR was my band I'd have had him as rhythm guitarist who plays the occasional solo, and then someone with incredible chops like bucket/bumble as the primary lead player. That way slash fans and guitar nerds who followed GNR for the guitar parts would have someone with chops up front that they can look up to an be awed by, but you'd also get the benifit of Robin's stage act, his writing, and the times - such as the CD solos - where he really added something cool - but without the afd solos that offended people like me.

I know it's harsh...but I honestly think the combination of axl's 2002 hellium voice and robin's versions was what put off the average punter from getting into the new GNR. I know it happened that way with my friends. Thought process was like:

1. Oh it's a new version of GNR, i'd prefer the old but I'll give them a listen on this rio boot...
2. Why does Axl not sound like Axl?
3. Why are the songs being played wrongly?
4. Why do they look so odd too?
conclusion: This is not GNR.

Myself I stuck around cos songs like Madagascar seemed beautiful. But that was the key with the 2002 band to me - the new music sounded great - but the classics were not. And that's something that the average listener can't handle.

It's no coincidence that this band gets a lot more positive reviews since DJ joined...and it's not about DJ being better than Robin or anything...it's simply about giving people (like non hardcores) what they expect to hear...

Board footer