You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

monkeychow wrote:

Myles does for Axl's parts what DJ Ashba does for Slash's.

That is - create a relatively note accurate version of the part but one that despite hitting the notes correctly lacks the particular soul, character and nuances of the author. The versions are nice in and of themselves, but to a fan of the original are noticeably lacking that X factor that made the original versions.

They tend to satisfy the average listener as it's a "good enough" version of the song to make it serviceable but frustrate people who listen in depth.

DJ doesn't have to be as good as Slash, he just has to play the song in a way that makes it workable without Slash, likewise Myles doesn't have to be as good as Axl, he just facilitates the playing of the song when Axl won't show up.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I am guessing that you didn't see my reviews of the 2011/12 tour, gibbo.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I am guessing that you didn't see my reviews of the 2011/12 tour, gibbo.

Iv got the dvds thats enough

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That is - create a relatively note accurate version of the part but one that despite hitting the notes correctly lacks the particular soul, character and nuances of the author. The versions are nice in and of themselves, but to a fan of the original are noticeably lacking that X factor that made the original versions.

They tend to satisfy the average listener as it's a "good enough" version of the song to make it serviceable but frustrate people who listen in depth.

DJ doesn't have to be as good as Slash, he just has to play the song in a way that makes it workable without Slash, likewise Myles doesn't have to be as good as Axl, he just facilitates the playing of the song when Axl won't show up.

Haven't you been reading?  DJ is better than Slash; Nobody comes within a million miles of Axl.  Don't try to inject logic into this.

killingvector

monkeychow wrote:

But Axl's voice is iconic G&R. If Myles just facilitates the playing of the song, then doesn't add that touch which elevates a song from just a rock n' roll song to an all-time classic.

As an aside, I'm not a big DJ Ashba^TM fan. I feel the new band misses Robin terribly. I'd sack DJ and bring Finck back into the fold if that were possible.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I agree Axl's voice is iconic as G+R.

Sadly i'm not sold as to if Axl has had his iconic sounding voice since 2010 either. I hope I'm wrong on that though - as he also sounded bad in 2002 and came back stronger later in 2006/10 - so I'd love to believe he'll get back there. But on 2011 shows he sounded pretty weak unfortunately.

I don't think anyone is rushing out to buy a Myles re-record of AFD...but he gets the job done...and as we all know...Axl refused to play....again.....

There's far worse versions of GNR songs around, Myles is no Axl, but at least he has the range which is more than most people who attempt it seem to have.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Of course everyone missed Axl though. It's not GNR without him. But he won't play because he doesn't respect the old members and their achievements. If he did he wouldn't have made them his employees, he wouldn't over dub Slash's parts, he wouldn't bad mouth Slash's playing past and present in the press and he wouldn't have started a new band under the name of the old band. That's what it boils down to.

killingvector

monkeychow wrote:

Of course everyone missed Axl though. It's not GNR without him. But he won't play because he doesn't respect the old members and their achievements. If he did he wouldn't have made them his employees, he wouldn't over dub Slash's parts, he wouldn't bad mouth Slash's playing past and present in the press and he wouldn't have started a new band under the name of the old band. That's what it boils down to.

You are putting huge words in Axl's mouth here.

Axl doesn't respect Slash personally.

He clearly respects the achievement of the band. Even said so in his letter. There were issues with who was inducted and broken down talks with the Hall, but this was all about his relationship with Slash and, to a lesser degree, antagonistic comments made by Adler.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
killingvector wrote:

As an aside, I'm not a big DJ Ashba^TM fan. I feel the new band misses Robin terribly. I'd sack DJ and bring Finck back into the fold if that were possible.

Wow.  You want to kill ANY chance they have of surviving?

Board footer