You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

buzzsaw wrote:
killingvector wrote:

As an aside, I'm not a big DJ Ashba^TM fan. I feel the new band misses Robin terribly. I'd sack DJ and bring Finck back into the fold if that were possible.

Wow.  You want to kill ANY chance they have of surviving?

Not sure what you mean here.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think he's saying Robin's interpretation of Slash's parts angered the majority of fans.

killingvector

monkeychow wrote:

I think he's saying Robin's interpretation of Slash's parts angered the majority of fans.

Oh that old debate.

I rather enjoyed Robin in the sum total of the performance.

Sky Dog wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My point is this; it's ludicrous to suggest that no one missed Axl from the ceremony and/or wasn't talking about him.

When Billie Joe mentioned Axl, the crowd booed and Billie Joe supposedly told them to "shut the fuck up. He is one of the greatest frontmen to ever walk the earth."

Nuff said.:cool:

Sky Dog wrote:

I'll take Robin over DJ too. Just personal taste.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Axl is indeed one of the greatest frontmen of all time. Also one of the greatest songwriters.

And as I've said before, I think his "turbulent nature" is probably what gives him the edge that makes his work so damn impressive creatively.

But I also acknowledge that it was his taking control of the band that caused the end of the original line up, and that under his leadership the band is neither as successful (compared to peers like Metallica, U2, Bon Jovi - all of whom used to look up to GNR), nor as productive (one album in 15 years vs the whole back catalogue in under 10).

It's very sad that he can't put these disputes aside for one night to honour what as a group they did for the history of music, but I think he can't because it means too much acknowledgement of the facts in the previous paragraph.

So i think it's bad form. Same from Izzy. Whatever his reason. This was about more than the individuals.

Axl can redeem himself in my eyes by pushing his great new line up onwards and releasing new and awesome music. I have no doubt he is capable of it. But I'm sure he'd be the first to remind me he doesn't work for me or owe me anything and that I can go fuckmyself...so it is what it is.

I'm a fan of his, but I have to call the bad moments in GNR history what they are...and this was another in a long list.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My point is this; it's ludicrous to suggest that no one missed Axl from the ceremony and/or wasn't talking about him.

Good point.  They greatly missed him for sure:

A RCHP show, Kid Rock doing the Beastie Boyz, Slash doing the SCOM intro licks.  Sorry, but Axl Rose is yesterdays news, proof of which was Chinese Democracy.  Aside from a coupla dozen of message board posters nobody cares about him anymore.  & realistically 90% of the population probably didn't even know there was a RNR HOF event last night anyway, so again, nobody cares!

It's over.  AFD was lightning in a bottle.  UYI was good, but infighting in the band led to too much bad filler songs rather than another epic album.  It ended after that. Thanks for the memories guys. Take care. PASnow, out!!

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

After seeing this it just shows what a total dick move this was by Axl. He should have been a man, been humble, showed up, thanked his fans, played a few songs and ultimately be thankful for it all.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Axl can redeem himself in my eyes by pushing his great new line up onwards and releasing new and awesome music. I have no doubt he is capable of it.

The problem is he doesn't need to redeem himself in your eyes; he needs to redeem himself in the record company's eyes.  There will be no second record if that doesn't happen.  They aren't about to release him from his contract so he can make money for someone else (or himself).  It's going to take one hell of an album for them to give up on what they know is the real cash cow.  They won't allow him to move forward with mediocrity, and I don't think Axl's capable of delivering elite material anymore for a variety of reasons (and his talent level isn't one of them). 

Everybody thought the BB deal freed Axl, but what it really did was free the record company.  They don't have to give Axl a dime and have no intention of doing so for anything less than a reunion.

Hidden Text:

The above is all just my opinion.

killingvector

ut I also acknowledge that it was his taking control of the band that caused the end of the original line up, and that under his leadership the band is neither as successful (compared to peers like Metallica, U2, Bon Jovi - all of whom used to look up to GNR), nor as productive (one album in 15 years vs the whole back catalogue in under 10).

This goes to the heart of the break up and is much more complicated than you are prescribing it.

Personally, I don't believe the old line up would have been successful if they continued on their course. There was a difference in fundamental philosophy on the direction of the band would take in the post-UYI years. Slash was not on board with Axl's ideas and Axl was not on board with Slash's ideas. There was no middle ground as egos on each side would not permit compromise. The thermostat broke at that point.

Now, you have your opinion about the success of Axl post old partnership. I don't agree entirely but I admit it has been underwhelming. However, I don't believe Slash's post-G&R legacy has been stellar by any means. In fact, not only have I expected a lot more from Slash but I am shocked he has never solved the lead singer problem after more than a decade.

If it has to end, the partnership of Slash and Axl, I'd rather them to split up on top then to muddle through a series of terrible albums and die a slow agonizing, unerasable death.

Board footer