You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

-D- wrote:

Label will never release another GNR album unless they can renegotiate that contract

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Monkey, you just seem to be taking this wayyyyy too personal,

You're right 16

I just find it frustrating because I honestly like both Axl and Slash's works solo and together and when acts like this happen I think the controversy just distracts from that.

Think of it this way. I'd like Axl to be acknowledged as someone who can write a song as beautiful as Madagascar or Catcher in the Rye....but no...he's going to be remembered..I think Axlin put it best in wrestling terms...as the #1 Heel of all time.

I'd like to be able to play a slash song to my friends and have them say something other than axl is an asshole. I'd like to be able to play a Chinese track to my friends and have them say something else too.

You know what would have been nice. Have Axl and Slash shake hands - agree that the other is talented but just say they did all they could together and move on at peace. Then you could have slash play a new album song with myles, Axl play a CD era song with DJ, maybe jam together with an all star version of all the bands on Paradise City. And we could all be nostalgic of the past but excited for the creativity of the future.

I can accept old GNR isn't going to reform if they don't see eye to eye musically, but I don't see why it can't be honourable and civil - but instead we get all the nonsense we get.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's the reason I'm pissed with Izzy over it to be honest.

Axl not going was fucked, but in his defence, given his anger at slash, his rebuilding of the new band and his affirmed goal to die before a reunion - he was kind of painted into a corner by other people and has good reason to act like he did from his point of view and his interests.

But there's really no good reason Izzy couldn't have come and jammed with Slash and Adler and Duff. It's just fucked up and in a way devalues the  event more than anything.

the FULL old GNR playing without Axl would have been acceptable because we've always known Axl was trouble...but damn...make us listen to 3/5 of GNR for no reason...way to be ungrateful Izzy. He gets to be a travelling nomad because the public loved his works - wouldn't
have hurt him to give something back by showing up once.

Agreed. Axl was put in a real tough spot. Don't even think there's much precedence for it. In the end I think he made the right choice for himself, and long term probably also for his fans. His somewhat warped sense of integrity is one of the things that keeps me rooting for him.

When it comes to band activities, plans and schedules Izzy is far worse than Axl. The reason he doesn't get any stick for it is because he took the manly route when he realized this and went and did his own thing with no promises he knew he couldn't keep. Izzy is very much a man of principle, and while it might not be apparent to outsiders I think his history shows that when the man makes a decision it's for good honest intentions. He didn't want to compromise himself and for that I respect him immensely. We really have no right to question that. He never led anyone on, and neither did Axl for that matter.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Re getting released from the lable, just had a thought maybe Axl wants this to occur before he would ever consider a reunion. I don't see a reunion happening although Axls cryptic letter did kinda leave the door somewhat ajar.

Anyhow my point is not about whether it will or won't happen, but rather hypothetically if it was going to wouldn't it make sense to be out of his contract before even going down this path. He then has the whip hand and is free to choose who they get into bed with etc. more importantly I'm sure they would be able to make much more money as they could negotiate a much better deal.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axl and Slash will bury the hatchet the day Buzz and Ali do. Not going to give in, just standing their ground, waiting for the other guy to admit their wrong. Just times that by 16 years 16

That's not fair.  I don't hate Ali.  If I was guilty of something and needed a lawyer to get me off on a technicality, he's the first person I'd call.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

-D- wrote:

Label will never release another GNR album unless they can renegotiate that contract

Not true at all. There will be negotiations about production costs paid by Axl for the second disc, perhaps money that fell under the umbrella of Chinese, and negotiations over promotion costs.

But UMG will not renegotiate their record deal b/c there is nothing for either side to gain by doing it: more albums for less label support? who would agree to that?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

My thing is this: Like Axl, Izzy has been this way from the start. Nothing is going to change them. The HOF really seems to be meaningless to him.

I'm positive they all love and appreciate their fans, but in their own ways with their own limits. This was about the band, not the fans last night. Despite what anyone thinks. If Axl wasn't going to be there, what was the point of Izzy going. That totally made the entire event meaningless, especially if Izzy didn't put much creedance in it anway.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Think of it this way. I'd like Axl to be acknowledged as someone who can write a song as beautiful as Madagascar or Catcher in the Rye....but no...he's going to be remembered..I think Axlin put it best in wrestling terms...as the #1 Heel of all time.

Actually I don't think so at all. As time fades and memory stales all that will be left is his musical legacy. His contributions will continue to make fans for a long time to come. Just check out various youtube videos, he is still considered a "god" to those that like his music. Both young and old.

Very few people are remembered for being dicks. As time goes on that shit just loses importance. What is left are the good things. His amazing songwriting ability, his stage presence, vocal prowess and enigmatic character.

I wouldn't worry. Either way we still have the music.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Actually I don't think so at all. As time fades and memory stales all that will be left is his musical legacy. His contributions will continue to make fans for a long time to come. Just check out various youtube videos, he is still considered a "god" to those that like his music. Both young and old.

Very few people are remembered for being dicks. As time goes on that shit just loses importance. What is left are the good things. His amazing songwriting ability, his stage presence, vocal prowess and enigmatic character.

I wouldn't worry. Either way we still have the music.

I agree, but the problem is that doesn't happen until they are completely off the radar...I mean, it didn't change in the time between TSI and CD.  Axl may be dead before we get to that point.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah - long term you guys are probably right and any "asshole" ways will probably just be a footnote.

Like how you might say Telsa was a mad scientist who invented great stuff. Or maybe someone like Mozart or Beethoven was an eccentric genius....

Although some people are remembered for the wrong reasons. Henry the 8th - was he a good ruler? All I know is that he had fucking 6 wives or something wink

I dunno there's just tmes when the "team sports" way people as fans suport only axl or slash frustrates me, and thinks like not being able to have a civil RRHOF celebration is one of the catalysts for that kind of thing.

Board footer