You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

Sky Dog wrote:

how spooky is that fax?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Again, why does Izzy get a free pass? The original 4 with Myles would have been even better.

Because a lot of people think the 1992 Tour lineup was just fine and dandy. I tend to be one of "those" hardliners who feels GN'R died in 1991 when he left.

You both are correct.

And, no.. Izzy does NOT get a pass with me. Even though the performance was awesome.. I meant what I said.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Aussie wrote:

So potentially  the shit hit the fan after the statute of limitations expired?

SO IF Slash signed the renegotiated contract in 1992 where Axl fucked him over for the name too, did Slash leave around 1996?

SOL can be tolled if a lawyer successfully argues that harm was not discovered until some time after the contract was signed. Again, this avenue was open to S&D but never pursued. They chose to say that Axl left the band in 94 and did not exercise his right to take the name with him.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

So was Slash strung along until after the statute of limitations?

Sky Dog wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

10-30-1996

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

Nothing here is Subject To Change
                Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION
                Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

and you can't say Axl didn't stick to his word.:haha:

killingvector

Aussie wrote:

So was Slash strung along until after the statute of limitations?

Axl exercised his right to take the name and drew up papers making Slash an employee of G&R. Slash was in no hurry to sign them and never did.

But remember, it is not the responsibility of the contract holder to remind or expedite the interests of others based on a SOL.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Again, why does Izzy get a free pass? The original 4 with Myles would have been even better.

Because a lot of people think the 1992 Tour lineup was just fine and dandy. I tend to be one of "those" hardliners who feels GN'R died in 1991 when he left.

agree Nov 1991 was the end for me....

Same here.

killingvector

He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the

This is the day that Axl exercised his right to take the name.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

10-30-1996

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the

Nothing here is Subject To Change
                Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION
                Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

and you can't say Axl didn't stick to his word.:haha:

I remember reading a scan of this fax on mtv.com in 96. Then, reading a lot about it on Dust N' Bones mailing list and on HTGTH and thinking: This "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic" refers to Slash (already off) or Duff? Is Matt still on?

There was a LOT of rumours back then, God, nowadays being a GN'R fan is so boring 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

a really great post from an industry insider at the Velvet Rope on the Hall issue and the name issue......

"right" or "justified" depend entirely on whose ox is being gored. Axl is entirely justified in telling the Hall how he wants to be inducted. and whether the ceremony will include him.

again, his method of doing so may sit not well with others. to a large extent, so what? I respect the guy for not bowing to what others think is "best" - and if no other reason than that many of those same people shit on lesser artists all year long.

so, for once, an artist can tell them to go to hell, do it his way, or leave him alone.
and they cant buckle him.

that's a rarity, and I wish more did it. if for no other reason than that Jann has made that Hall a fucking museum of his own personal preferences, not merit. i mean, one of Axl's biggest musical influences, Alice, has to share the induction date w/ first ballot inductees from RHCP and the Beasties. - a real cornerstone of rock music corralled in with MTV drivel.

(imo, while I might lean closer to Mike D's outlooks on life than the Coop's - as artists, these are not equals.)

Originally Posted By: GoodGodyou surely must also know some of the ridiculous demands Axl has put on everyone who has worked for him, in the legal department or not, dating back to the time they exploded.

fair enough but still, one thing about that. I assure you that one of the smartest things Axl did, was to approach ill-guided acts and was clever enough to talk to bands who WISH they had acted to protect themselves before it was too late. While Slash and Duff and Steve were out doping on tour, Axl solicited insights from his elders, and then used their experiences to shape his own so he didn't go through the meat grinder and come up unprotected.

he also smelled bullshit a thousand miles away and as soon as he could, he bid those sort of people adieu. of course, in doing so, you offend people, and then reputations get besmirched, and the rationality of what one is doing is called into question. you need a thick hide to suffer that, and Axl is equipped with such a hide

Originally Posted By: GoodGodWhy should Axl be so special in this case? Can you name a precedent for this demand at any induction to date?

he is sui generis in many respects, and by not following the herd, he has pissed many off, but he also has maintained a lot of integrity in the sense of, he does he he wants, and you know that going in with him.

this is why you have no difficulty recognizing he is consistent. he does not give a shit about anything other than what works for him. and he would rather fail on his own terms than cave to the machinations of others.

I'd like about 1500 other artists like that to emerge any day now.

Originally Posted By: GoodGodAnd we know there was more than money involved in him getting the name. Every one of them involved has told the story, in books yet, except Izzy, who speaks volumes by saying little or nothing...as well as leaving at the beginning of the "Use Your Illusion" tour.

my take on that is he saw these other guys becoming weak in ways that destroy a band. many precedents for that staring them in the face, and he has and had too much pride to give away his juice, or let others water it down.

so he jumped in to protect himself. and that isn't speculation. that is exactly what he was faced with and how he chose to deal with it.

Tommy Stinson doesn't suffer many fools, and in the right moment, will tell you that Axl did what the Mats wish to have done and wanted to do - be successful enough to be left alone and pursue whatever it is that fancied them, and the day they forgot that, was the last day they had any fun as a band.

that's an important perspective often lost in these musings.

Originally Posted By: GoodGodAnyone who thinks GN'R is entering the R&R Hall of Fame based on Chinese Democracy and the current touring unit is batshit. Or sorely deluded.

that's not the question to me. the question is "has Axl rightfully earned and positioned himself so that he can dictate to others, especially when they have their own ideas of what he should be content to accept?"

my answer is, yep, he has. and that is admirable. because very few ever get there, and those in position to do so, often fail to nail it down when and while they can. then live to regret it later.

Jesus... These are amazing posts, thoughts, insights. I want to know who this guy is.

Board footer