You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

Sky Dog wrote:

He also was apparently privy to some of Axl's financial documents...apparently he was involved in "three depositions" which somehow concerned Axl and money....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

He also was apparently privy to some of Axl's financial documents...apparently he was involved in "three depositions" which somehow concerned Axl and money....

And? Say some more please. 16

Sky Dog wrote:

here are the direct quotes....someone ask how the guy knows Axl isn't worth 200 million like some website claimed...here are his answers 

"three depositions and confidential tax/fs disclosures"

"you do not blow hype nor smoke around here, at all, from what I have gathered in reading your contributions. so . . . no need to express sorrow of any sort. (Although the cited site is littered with misinformation, both financial and credential in nature) - and can be laughable, e.g., Butch Vig is worth 60 mil, or only 5 mil less than Neil Young. in real life, Neil could buy Butch 10 times over.

back to Axl - he has driven a shit load of revenues, sure, but he does have not $200 mil unto himself. He has earned well, no question, but he has also squandered a fortune, and not just by paying overage/curfew fees. he is financing a pretty hefty personnel and property overhead, and despite the costs he has taken on, he really has not maxed income from touring. remember, he sat out a decade of primo years, and when he settled on a reworked line up, the draw was not at anything close to the AFD GNR outfit potential.

(the tours in 02 and 06 were plagued with all sorts of issues, and money was flushed into the toilet again and again. at one point, Merc was pumping Sanctuary $$ into the operations.)

that all said, I tend to side with those who observe that it isn't nuts nor even shitty for Axl to

a) choose how to celebrate or not celebrate his industry status, and

b) scorn how some have used the induction to try to push Axl to do that which he will never do - reunite the AFD line up. In some quarters, Axl's stance might be considered justifiable if not principled. He does not want the sort of complications that would subject him to, and that's a rationale choice.

so while it may require some firm resolve to isolate this specific matter/incident from other actions where Axl has displayed questionable judgment, try if you can;

then ask, how is Axl's stance that much different than Plant not agreeing to reunite Zep to tour beyond the Ahmet tribute gig? (or Fogerty ignoring Stu and Doug at the RRHOF CCR induction?)

Page and JPJ put a helluva lot more time into developing Zeppelin than RP did, and they had lucrative careers going well before the singer lad came along; so now is Plant an ingrate? or just someone who for reasons personal as well as business, decided to move on and work with other musicians?"

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Good point about Plant.

"(the tours in 02 and 06 were plagued with all sorts of issues, and money was flushed into the toilet again and again. at one point, Merc was pumping Sanctuary $$ into the operations.)"

Where in the world was this money going??

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've always said Axl isn't as rich as some people thought he was.

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

Good point about Plant.

"(the tours in 02 and 06 were plagued with all sorts of issues, and money was flushed into the toilet again and again. at one point, Merc was pumping Sanctuary $$ into the operations.)"

Where in the world was this money going??

paychecks for the band and crew, traveling expenses, production costs, various legal skirmishes....alot of costs there with average ticket sales. Axl is lucky to break even.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've always said Axl isn't as rich as some people thought he was.

Even if he broke even on those tours, residuals from AFD, UYI, Lies, and CD will keep him comfortable forever.

Plus he sold the publication rights to the old and new catalog over the next ten years for $20 million.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The more this comes out the less of a bad guy Merck is appearing as...

BUT....

If he was doing stuff in the merch angle with the old line up and that was getting Axl sued, that's plain stupid. If he was the cause of strife between the band and Buckethead, leading him to quit, that is unforgivable. If he was trying to sabotage things to force Axl into a reunion for the huge commission the reunion tour/merch would make, that is epic scumbag status... But understandable. 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

My 4 day odyssey is now complete.  I had some reservations along the way, but I was more than satisfied with what transpired Saturday night.  Don't get me wrong, there were some obvious negatives.  Unrelated to GNR, I haven't gotten a chance to read up on the reason for Rod Stewart's no show, but that was a bit of a bummer.  I thought the singer for the Faces was pretty damn good though.  Also, not a huge Green Day fan but I thought they did a great job opening the show and setting the tone.  Also thought they fared well with inducting GNR.  Couldn't help but crack up at Chris Rock's joke about Axl Rose either.

Anyway, as for GNR, since that's what really matters here.  It was sad in a way that they lost out top billing to the Chili Peppers.  No offense to them, because they were deserving and they did a great job as well.  It just wasn't meant to go down that way.  And honestly, I think GNR still could've closed the show even without Axl, of course I'm a little biased.  There were a few cheers for Axl, when he was referenced or shown on the screen, but the boos heavily outweighed the cheers.  If he thought the public wasn't on his side before in the US, he's in for some tough times in the future if they ever tour here again.  I mean, I guess time heals all wounds (well at least most, ahem).  But he was probably the most hated man in the building that night.  the mayor of Cleveland and governor of Ohio may have given him a run for his money, but it was close.

I felt bad for him, and I know I shouldn't.  It's all his own doing.  And I understand why he didn't want to be there.  I get it.  I really have no problem with it or his letter.  I just wish he would've congratulated the rest of the guys or something.  That would've taken some of the sting away.

Anyhow, I thought the speeches were really good, genuine, and heartfelt.  I was surprised Steven was so brief.  I have to say, I have a whole new appreciation for Myles for stepping up on Saturday.  I know he's not loved by all, but he allowed me to see Slash, Duff, Matt, Steven, and Gilby rocking out to 3 classic GNR songs that I so dearly love.  That alone was worth the 9 1/2 hour trip to Cleveland for me.  Getting to finally see Slash live, ripping up those solos was mesmerizing.  The man is a larger than life figure on stage.  I think he got the loudest ovations all night of anyone that was there.  I'm all for Myles in Velvet Revolver, not that I wasn't before.  Although, that's a discussion for a different day.  But I honestly appreciate Myles coming through when things looked so bleak.  And in the end, it probably worked out better that Axl didn't show up because then a performance may not have happened at all.

Overall, I had a great time.  And for all the shit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gets, I thought they put on an amazing show with all things being considered.  The night had all the makings of being a complete and utter disaster, but it exceeded my expectations and made the trip well worth it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Glad you had a great time, man. Awesome write up. We were all wondering what your reaction was oging to be smile

Board footer