You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

-D- wrote:

Good for Steven.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Bumblefoot on Twitter:
"<< Steven Adler Calls Guns N' Roses Lineup 'Hacks' >> I'm just glad Neil Peart didn't say that, then I'd be bummed out.... lol."

Not sure exactly what he means...

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah my post was intended as kinda a light hearted joke, with a small element of comedically rubbing in my point, but re-reading it, it probably came off as plain bitchy or obscure.

Getting off the "Is it Izzy or Axl" thing for a moment. Yesterday I happened to re-watch the "behind the music show" on GNR or whatever that VH1 thing is they do.

During it I was thinking about what this situation must be like for Axl. Like from his perspective, he's worked pretty hard to fight on as GNR, there's been legal battles, finding new band members that will stick around, all of the various issues and dramas. Now even if some of this is his fault, he's still weathered it all and come out the other side....so from his POV the sudden increase in pressure to reunite just cos an external body like the RRHOF says it's time must be very annoying.

Like reuniting is surely up to him and the guys and is something they could do in their own way, but why just cos a third party wants to have a ceremony because it's been 30 years or whatever - I dunno it seems sort of an artificial way for a reunion to happen because it's on the hall's timeline not their own. While as a fan I obviously want to see it, I can see why if I was Axl I'd tell them to fuck the hell off.

It's cool, man.  It didn't come off as bitchy at all.

Ali

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think Neil is a virtuoso drummer like bumble is an extreme guitarist.

So i guess maybe because it's obvious on technical skills that Neil is a better drummer than steven, it's just a casual dig back at him in terms of who is a hack and pointing out the stupidity of steven's comments.

I just view Adler's comments as coming out of hurt though. His life dream was to be in a band like GNR, now it went wrong, and so he looks at those who replace him with the same kind of anger you view the next guy that fucks your ex-girlfriend...he's just irrational and bitter.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Ali

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but a lot of what adler says is coming from his place of hurt.

The guy was introduced to heroin by Slash and Izzy and then thrown out of the band for it, and Slash is his childhood friend etc. His whole life since then has been about wanting to go back there and not being able to.

It's chicken and egg with him. He knows they're not going to reunite and that kills hiis dream and so he runs his mouth. But I'm pretty sure in a world where Axl and Slash had made up and given a public announcement that they'd play - Alder would only be giving quotes about how much fun it will be.

Adler was the first casualty of the band's excess. But his behaviour these days I see as a  symptom of the Axl/Slash war and not a cause of it.

Yes, I'm sure it's coming from a place of hurt.  That's obvious.  But, it's also idiotic.  He wants Axl to agree to a reunion tour and then he goes and insults Axl's friends and bandmates?  Does that sound like a sound strategy to get Axl to want to do a reunion?

Also, it's just plain horseshit.  Steven is no Mike Portnoy, so criticize some else's playing ability, calling them hacks, is a bit much.  I honestly don't think Steven is any better than Frank at the end of the day.

I think if Axl sees this quote, Steven just ensured things are going to be more awkward roll

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think Neil is a virtuoso drummer like bumble is an extreme guitarist.

So i guess maybe because it's obvious on technical skills that Neil is a better drummer than steven, it's just a casual dig back at him in terms of who is a hack and pointing out the stupidity of steven's comments.

That's exactly what it is.  BBF had a good response 9

Ali

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well it's an idiotic comment from steven because it's plainly false.

Like anyone who understands guitar can see that bumblefoot is one of the foremost technical guitarists in the world - so steven's chosen bumble's absolute strength as a place to attack him - which makes it an inane attack.

Agree or Not, but at least steven would have grounds to say that the new band "isn't GNR", or that people like frank and bumble are only famous because they ride on the legacy of people like steven. For the record I'm not saying I support that view, but there's at least rational grounds to argue it. But attacking bumble on his technical skills is just plain stupidly false.

I also agree things like this don't help a reunion. But that's because Adler's basically heartbroken he doesn't think straight and talks with his heart of his sleeve. On one hand I suspect he loves Axl for the times they had together keeping the band alive on the streets, on the other hand, he probably hates his guts for throwing him out of the band, blocking a reunion and keeping on as GNR without any other AFD line up guys left. Which response you get from him would change by the second because they are both true to him.

This is the rock n roll version of drunk dialing your exgirlfirend and saying something like "I fucking love you, I need you, but you left me you fucking whore bitch cunt, why can't you come back and love me you bitch. Who would love you anyway you fat fuck, awww, baby come back to me".

Illogical and unhelpful to his cause, but comes from the fucked up place he's in.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I also venture something may have happened behind the scenes.

Maybe they just gave up hope.

It's notable that in the past week Slash has change from "Don't Know" to "It's Not happening" and now Steven has gone on an upset tirade.

Maybe the reality that his dream of finishing what he started  isn't going to happen has hurt him bad.

In some ways I can see why Axl doesn't want to reunite. But i also think from a celebrating the past POV - this is almost like a college graduation or something for a guy like Adler - most people grow up wanting to be rock stars and don't end up in the Hall - he deserves his moment in the sun - so I must say if I was adler I'd want to play the show - with or without Axl.

I do think the old guys should play instrumentally. Just as Axl has the right to protect his new brand, they have the right to go "we wrote these songs you all love" and play them.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well guys, this is how you destroy any chance of a reunion gig at the HOF happening.

Board footer