You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

monkeychow wrote:

I've wondered if maybe they're just different people types and can't understand the way the other thinks.

For example:

Axl is focused intently on achieving his vision for a song and in order to achieve this sometimes does things that are unusual and could offend. For example: Replacing Slash the iconic lead guitarist's parts on a track parts with a non-famous guitarist without consultation. Recutting the work of another all time famous player brian-may into a solo that he doesn't recognise. Keeping the work of previous lead guitarists on the album when adding new players. Or the general division of labour between guitarists especially when some of them such as bumble and bucket are under-utilised for their level of ability. Axl doesn't seem to notice these things might bother some people. Meanwhile he's also mood driven himself.

Then you have Slash. He doesn't seem to like confrontations. He seems to get awkward and shy pretty easily with people. I think he fundamentally doesn't quite understand Axl's moods. So slash is easily able to get offended by Axl, but unlikely to directly confront him on it, and will probably resort to passive aggressive moves or just hope things work out - but when they don't he can't deal with it and bails.

They also have different priorities and schedules. Slash lives to tour - recording is secondary - important but it's the first step in a big picture. Axl also enjoys touring - but it's much more important to him to have the definitive version of a song recorded - see the CD revisions and how he was going to retire if he couldn't get NR recorded correctly. Slash is kinda shy but he likes to be busy and active and get about. Axl is nocturnal and values his privacy. This then strains communication even more.

It's notable how he tells the story of quitting GNR when Axl and He couldn't look each other in the eye anymore. I don't think it's an incident so much as they just can't understand the other's feelings properly and the small resentments build up.

Meanwhile it doesn't heal because Slash is always asked GNR questions, generally he's nice about it, but sometimes he slips ups and mentions things Axl does that bug him like come on late. In doing so he's aggravating one of Axl's pet issues: What the media says about him. This makes axl want less to do with him - which makes slash feel more awkward and less inclined to make an approach.

It could all probably be resolved by a third party mediating it. Except for one problem: The things Slash needs in a reunion are no late starts, and decent respect for his talent level and original contribution to the band in terms of not being an employee. But these are the two things Axl can't give him. I strongly believe the late starts come from Axl's moods that are essentially beyond his control. Meanwhile - in a life where you have moods out of your control you need to establish security so those moods don't get you fired or worse - and that's done by having control of the band. So axl can't risk giving up control of the band and can't guarentee he'd always be on time. Meanwhile slash can't really be expected as one of the greatest players of all time to play in the band he helped found as an employee, especially when he lives to tour and if there's a strong chance the tour will derail and his own tour won't.

Thus there will never be a reunion. Or thus is my theory having never met either of them!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

A curious sidenote to the story came to play when Sorum (of all people) introduced Axl to Robin in early 1997. Apparently, everybody (sans Axl) thought it'd be the best of both worlds to introduce Axl to an avant-garde guitarist, who could play rhythm and also, would stand apart from Slash. This way, Paul Tobias could be dismissed and Slash reinstated.

But Axl wanted Robin to play lead. I still wonder whether Slash would've voluntarily returned to be a contract player, which he most certainly was during his last year in the band. But the story goes like so, and, without anyone ever asking the right questions, we may never know.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Seems like I struck a nerve..

Maybe the truth hurts???

Just think about it.. put your fandom aside, hero worship aside and think about it.

Duff,Izzy etc have been welcomed back with open arms? WHY? cause john q public  could care less about them

Its always been about Slash and Axl. Slash is the ONE guy as iconic and famous as Axl and i think that pisses him off.

I don't see what is so inflammatory about that comment.

Axl keeps talking how "Slash" tried to take over the band.. AND? Isn't Slash apart of th gband also? So he is mad at Slash for trying to do the same thing as he is doing?

Axl thinks he is GNR.. but no matter how many years go by, no matters what he does. he cannot get that shadow or monkey off.

that pisses him off.

Slash outsold Axl with Contraband. out hit him with Slither,FTP, out grammied him.

u damn right that would cause some jealousy and envy. Slash in the meantime won the public battle and every one is on his side.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Seems like I struck a nerve..

Maybe the truth hurts???

Just think about it.. put your fandom aside, hero worship aside and think about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Having no idea about the situation, I'd say probably no one has clean hands.

-D-

-D- wrote:

U guys have to understand..... I like conspiracy theories.. like throwing different scenarios out.. nothing worth getting pissed over...

I post on message forums to converse and to get a bit of entertainment.

end of the day, i drive or workout with GNR full of blast and could care less about all this BS.

I just think its fun to follow the drama..

Hell GNR are the ONLY one of my fave bands I post about and follow like this.

I don't post on Bon Jovi forums, don't post on Prince or Chili Pepper or Kiss forums.

GNR is like reality TV.. if they ran like normal bands.. i couldn't be bothered to post.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

But Axl wanted Robin to play lead. I still wonder whether Slash would've voluntarily returned to be a contract player, which he most certainly was during his last year in the band. But the story goes like so, and, without anyone ever asking the right questions, we may never know.

Great point. There's that interview with Slash from circa 96-97 where he says he just had dinner with Axl and they sorted it all out and he's finally back and ready to do the album and so on. So I think in some respects at that stage he would return as a contract player - but he couldn't work with Paul and Axl and he already didn't quite get each other.

I suspect even if he was paid as a contract performer from a creative point Slash needs his partnership to be valued. He's spoken before about having to fight to get his riffs (incliding Slither) used in VR and it was obvious he didn't appreciate Axl having paul step on his toes on Sympathy for the Devil.

I think slash would have gone back with Axl owning the profit but not if Axl is telling him what he can and can't play on a song. These days I doubt he'd be a contract player at all. He's proven he can have a career on his own where he doesn't have these problems. Perhaps if his solo shows started to tank then maybe...but that's not going to happen it seems.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I was watching the CBGB's interview from 87, before Lies came out...
There was a CLEAR tension between Axl and Slash back then (Axl, at some point, while Slash speaking over him almost ask him to shut up and goes like "now you just blew it all") and Axl seemed to have all the way to Illusions tracked on his mind.

He talks about "an acoustic ep" (LIES), "a double album, we wanna release 40 songs we're confident in" (UYI) and he was damn confident that was the way to go.

I think, to this day, that once Illusions came out, the back-then "Vault" was cleared and - TO ME - it always felt that was made on purpose. It always seemed to me that Axl knew things were gonna burst between him and Slash and that he wanted to release all they had (instead of an album every two years) and start over.

And I'm pretty sure he wanted Slash onboard but not as a writer, only as a collaborator as in Estranged or November Rain. I think Axl hates Slash because Slash never shared Axl's vision or wanted to, at least, give it a try.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

axl knows cd woulda outsold contraband if they were released at the same time

-D-

-D- wrote:
war wrote:

axl knows cd woulda outsold contraband if he would've released proper singles,got off his lazy ass and properly promoted it,released some videos

Fixed it

Board footer