You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Bumblefoot on new GN'R album

Well I think the problem is that Axl wanted to credit the main players on the album; so he got each of their "feel" and style on the record. Especially since alot of Bucket's and Ron's leads and solos are pulled from various takes. You can tell that by the rhythm tracks that are mixed up and combined from sessions with Paul Tobias, Richard, Ron, and others. I think the main hub of the rhythm guitar sections are Paul with Richard adding some flavor. With Ron sounding the stronger of the others. Even Axl has some guitar too on TWAT and Madagascar or it's just credited!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bumblefoot on new GN'R album

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

That line about Axl chopping and changing parts from guitar solos is interesting. I wonder if the guitarist then goes in and lays down a version of Axl's solo from scratch. Hell, I wonder if Axl's ever cut together a solo that's actually physically impossible to play.

Ron has lightening speed on guitar, so as long as Axl doesn't start doing layers of the solo and overdubs that would require 6 hands then it should be possible for ron to make almost any jump around on the neck. Although doing it in one pass can make it slightly clunkier. In my opinion the shacklers solo is a little that way...Ron does it fine live but the jump between necks and general feel of it are a little clunkier - and not at all because of any issue with ron - -i think it's just a very unnatural sound to achieve on the guitar - fretless and all that.

It does interest me as a concept though as it shows that Axl is very much "producer" of these songs regardless of who he has working for him in the band. It's quite interesting creatively too though - as it seems the other people do get to venture a lot of takes first. So in some ways there's a lot of creative input from people who arn't Axl - like the 20 versions of the solo Ron might give him - but in other ways the end vision is very much Axl as it's him who chooses what happens or creates a new take out of the options.

I'd be curious to know how ron structures the solos in his own work. If he plans them, if it's all improvisation, if he does several takes and chooses the best. From what I've read slash normally does solos in one take and just goes with feel.

Myself on my home-brand recordings I like to play a solo pretty much as a one-take "feel" approach but then I'll re-listen and if there's melody ideas that I liked but something I don't like about the track, or if there's parts that are flat and bland and nothing exciting happens, I'll redo the solo but try and play certain parts the same...so i can see why Axl might be into that approach - you can make each solo into a complete journey.

Board footer