You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Moscow, Russia (2 Show Discussion)

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

doubt it. it was not that long ago that people were complaining about no civil war or estranged. within days of getting them the bitching commenced.

gnr isn't doing anything wrong people.

we all want new music and that isn't wrong either.

the bitching just doesn't change anything.

as long as people continue to buy tickets around the world to these shows there is no real incentive for axl to do anything other than what he is doing right now.

Yep.  And I don't really believe that they're solely out to make money and have no plans or intentions of ever releasing new music.  I just think that process has always been painstakingly slow with this band and even more so over the years.  And since a new album isn't right around the corner, there's nothing wrong with going out on the road and making a few bucks.  Lots of bands do it.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

exactly

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Most of the bands that do it don't claim to be moving on from the past while reliving the same past night after night and year after year in the same countries.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i don't know that because i don't have a running count of all these bands and follow their every statement but it's gotta be frustrating for all of the musicians in the band who's studio work is going unnoticed.

never the less - it is what it is and has been that way for a long time.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Serious question;

Am I alone in saying that just a shake up would help? Even if GN'R played the same exact set list just in a wildly different order, I'm not sure why but that would make a difference to me.

I doubt it, but it would be better than the running order that hasn't really changed much in the past couple of years. At least it would give some variance.

Even to see some different covers, perhaps some Nazareth, or some other influence apart from AC/DC. Something obscure they could put their own style on. These guys are all good players, and can turn their hand to any tune. Hearing another brick in the wall again as an interlude, yeesh. Surely they can add something different to mix it up, even if its instrumental while Axl gets some air and a hat change.

It's the fact that it is so static and scripted that bugs me, tour after tour, year after year, as Buzz said. There is no spontaneity at all, and that is frustrating for such a talented group.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Most of the bands that do it don't claim to be moving on from the past while reliving the same past night after night and year after year in the same countries.

Yes and no.  I've seen plenty of bands over the years that play static setlists despite having new albums out or new music on the horizon.

But yeah, it is a little different in this scenario.  When we're told over and over that it's time to move forward.  And I agree with Russ about band members saying how awesome it is to not have a standard setlist.  It may not be as standard as some bands, but you certainly have a pretty good idea at what is going to be played at each show, and in what order.

One big change so far in the set tonight.  DJ played Mi Amor instead of Ballad Of Death.  And you guys said they never changed it up. 17

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

His move on comments were directed at people who only want the reunion, we all know that. He's not going stop playing his music.

I'm kind of torn on hearing new music live for the first time. It worked well in 2002, but the songs ended up being much different on the album. And I think we've been kind of spoiled on the leaks and getting a crappy quality of a live version would suck.

But I'd still listen to it smile

faldor

faldor wrote:

There's no problem playing the old hits, but it is time to MOVE ON.  In the sense that the band needs some sort of identity of its own.  They're not getting that the way they're conducting business right now.  So I think they'd be better off not pushing the "move on" mantra down our throats until it's really time to move on.

I'm with you on the new music.  Like I said before.  I'd prefer not to have them play a bunch of new songs, only to not see them properly released for seven years.  If/when they do play new songs, I hope that means we are close to the next album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Agreed.

Board footer