You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Moscow, Russia (2 Show Discussion)

monkeychow wrote:

Arguments for the Set List Remaining the Same:

1. Other bands such as AC/DC have also toured with variants of the same set list for a very long time.

2. Even if new music came out, the band will always be most famous for their classic hits, so whatever happens at a show, most of the people there would leave disappointed if the setlist excluded some of the big commercial hits.

3. In places where you would have had less of a cultural impact it makes a lot of sense to stick to classics. Lets not forget in Russia, when AFD came out the nation was part of the USSR. They probably listened to AFD in secret, or years later, not with GNR posters on their walls with Axl draped in an American flag. Sure it's decades on...but it's still grounds to demo your experimental new weird music somewhere else!

The Argument for the Set List Needing to Change:

1. It's been the same pretty much for a decade.

2. It's mostly classic hits...that the modern guys do well but are just cover artists of - they're not up there playing their own song.

3. The argument for breaking up the old band / no reunion was to establish a new vision for GNR - yet GNR's set is a rehash of the 1991 tour with the occasional nod to a recent (read 2008) song....

The Elephant in the Room:

1. How much of the setlist is dictated by problems with Axl's voice?

2. How much of the setlist is dictated by familiarity being used to reduce stage anxiety? (Sorry Baz..but I don't think Axl hits the stage late because he's in the shower. More likely Axl can't come out till he's in his rockstar mood - and he can't flick a switch and be that guy when he's probably often either insecure, depressed etc...)

3. Further to the above...why exactly does the band never "move on". I believe it's a combination of management complications having caused issues with UMG, and Axl's aforementioned situation - it's just his personality - but add in that he can't forgive the old band, get's hurt easily when people diss him in the media and or online and he's painted himself into a checkmate corner almost. Can't deal with the label, Can't reunite, Can't put out new music, it's all very hard and or scary...so he does what he can still do without overwhelming problems...and that's play this setlist.

To me the set-lists are not the "illness" they are merely the visible symptom of what may be a far deeper problem.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

As far as not playing new songs live, has anyone considered that may be because Axl and the band don't want poor quality live bootleg versions of new material circulating prior to the release of a proper studio version of said songs?

Just a thought.

Ali

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Arguments for the Set List Remaining the Same:

1. Other bands such as AC/DC have also toured with variants of the same set list for a very long time.

2. Even if new music came out, the band will always be most famous for their classic hits, so whatever happens at a show, most of the people there would leave disappointed if the setlist excluded some of the big commercial hits.

3. In places where you would have had less of a cultural impact it makes a lot of sense to stick to classics. Lets not forget in Russia, when AFD came out the nation was part of the USSR. They probably listened to AFD in secret, or years later, not with GNR posters on their walls with Axl draped in an American flag. Sure it's decades on...but it's still grounds to demo your experimental new weird music somewhere else!

The Argument for the Set List Needing to Change:

1. It's been the same pretty much for a decade.

2. It's mostly classic hits...that the modern guys do well but are just cover artists of - they're not up there playing their own song.

3. The argument for breaking up the old band / no reunion was to establish a new vision for GNR - yet GNR's set is a rehash of the 1991 tour with the occasional nod to a recent (read 2008) song....

The Elephant in the Room:

1. How much of the setlist is dictated by problems with Axl's voice?

2. How much of the setlist is dictated by familiarity being used to reduce stage anxiety? (Sorry Baz..but I don't think Axl hits the stage late because he's in the shower. More likely Axl can't come out till he's in his rockstar mood - and he can't flick a switch and be that guy when he's probably often either insecure, depressed etc...)

3. Further to the above...why exactly does the band never "move on". I believe it's a combination of management complications having caused issues with UMG, and Axl's aforementioned situation - it's just his personality - but add in that he can't forgive the old band, get's hurt easily when people diss him in the media and or online and he's painted himself into a checkmate corner almost. Can't deal with the label, Can't reunite, Can't put out new music, it's all very hard and or scary...so he does what he can still do without overwhelming problems...and that's play this setlist.

To me the set-lists are not the "illness" they are merely the visible symptom of what may be a far deeper problem.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

As far as not playing new songs live, has anyone considered that may be because Axl and the band don't want poor quality live bootleg versions of new material circulating prior to the release of a proper studio version of said songs?

Just a thought.

Ali

You are so right Ali. Oh waita minute. To use one band as an example cause it's what I do....  Not sure why U2 managed to play 6 new unreleased songs last tour. Weird how they're not affraid of poor quality live bootleg versions of unreleased songs circulating prior to the release of their new album. Funny how U2 is not the only band who's able to do this as well. Then again in the world of Guns N' Roses everything is top secret, way more difficult and way more important and valueable than anything any other band on the planet has going on. I can just see the decline of civilization now if Gn'R were to debute a new unreleased song live. It'd be utter chaos. probably worse than the rapture

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

lol usually your sarcasm annoys me but that was pretty good

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I remember a band playing several new songs that were (and were not) released 7 years later...

Once upon a time there was this band, called Guns N' Roses, they played The Blues (later released as street of dreams), Oh My God, Silworms (both still unreleased on their final formats), Chinese Democracy and Madagascar on a festival in 2001 and Riad and The Bedouins in Vegas.

Oh wait...

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yes...also a lot of UYI was played prior to release as well.

Then again in defence of it...the mobile fone video culture wasn't around back then...(then again rio3 was pro shot on TV!)...

But then a lot of things used to happen that don't anymore.

Axl used to do interviews. The band used to release music pretty often. Set list used to be unpredictable. Albums would come out. Videos would come out. There would be proper promo. Management would be professional....

I could list how different the current environment is from that era...but you already know....

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
war wrote:

didnt theire fb page allude to friday for "something you haven't had yet"?

Yep, I saw that too!

What a disappointment, just the same old same old..,

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

2010 Moscow Show:

Chinese Democracy
Jungle
ISE
Brownstone
Sorry