You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Dublin, Ireland, May 17th

Naltav wrote:
faldor wrote:

This guys TWAT might be better too.  Hold the laughter please.

Yep! This guys TWAT is the best one so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … W2PxvLHjYg

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

Richard solo was NOT the James Bond theme and had the band backing him up.

Bumblefoot solo was also different, containing parts of Danny Boy.

There Was A Time was played. Civil War returned.

Pretty different than the shows on Russia.

I guess the band is aware they are playing for people that already saw this show (Russia didn't, only received a private show) and they are changing things up.

Also: I find amusing when people come to the boards saying "oh but Axl has been playing the same setlist since 2001". Fuck me, he's not!

2001/2002 was way different from 2006 that was different from 2010 that is different from 2012.

There are things that won't change. You won't go to a concert where GNR doesnt play Jungle, ISE, Sweet Child, November Rain (even if Axl plays only the first half 16), etc.

But the sets have changed, songs have been added, after CD release the whole album was played, some songs more often than others.

Perhaps the sets aren't changing the way we, the hardcores, want or expect, but to deny they are changing is another thing.

1) I like that new solo spot by Richard.

2) On the setlist complaints.  Obviously they haven't been playing the same setlist since 2002.  That's an exaggeration by anyone who says that.  They've added new songs or made changes each time out.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  When people complain about the setlists, they're really complaining about the lack of new material.  Playing CD songs, or different UYI tracks doesn't cut it with some people anymore.

ok, i promise that i hope this'll be the last time i get into this crap.

BUT:
since 2001 there's been on aggregate about 5 songs difference between then & now.  that TO ME is the same setlist. "way different" to '06 my backside.
i dunno about you guys, but when i go see "other bands" when they come to town for their new the tour it's usually very different. not 11 yrs of p much the exact same set. no "other band", or rather not other respectable band, a band you could die for, would be presenting the same show GnR have been doing. now of course no new album is a major cause of this, or a new album is a major cause of why "other bands" play different sets, but again the staid setlist only serves to highlight the fundamental lack of creativity @ the heart of the matter.

NOW, plz don't get me wrong - i think the setlist itself is fuckin bangin' (bar KOHD & a few covers/solo spots). my POINT is, the setlists are INDICATIVE of the general malaise that has infected the b(r)and since Axl became commander-in-chief.

what i'm 'COMPLAINING' about is the lack of vitality & passion, a lack of renewal & energy. these were things i cherished, loved & believed to exist in GnR that i simply do not see any more. when i look at the setlists i see a band playing it SAFE.

it's not about going out & playing Cornshucker one night & Down on the Farm the next, it's about the thought & creativity, or else, & even Better, spontaneity that goes into the show. & there is obviously very very little of that effort being expended these days.

now i know a lot of you, like MC, speculate on the reasons for this "playing it safe" kinda strategy, but that does not wash w/me.
Axl has always talked the talk but he's no longer presenting what he says he is, he's not walking the walk. what he's presenting is an oldies act devoid of vitality. & that, to me, is the exact image of GnR these days. THAT is why the setlists matter, because they show the naked ambition of the band & that ambition is sorely lacking anything i can support.
for want of a Better term, it's like they're going thru the motions. (now i know they still put on a good show, but it's not transcendent or even attempting to be, & that makes me a sad fuckin panda cause it's like a betrayal or a waste of a lot of what i loved about the band. there was a time............)

johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

agree to disagree....he needed a mother figure and she filled that role at a time when I think he really needed it. All the other stuff I freely admit I don't know about....

I agree with Russ. Without getting into specifics, Beta and that whole situation has been literally THE WORST thing to EVER happen to Axl. And i'll also leave it at that, because of the personal feelings involved, and the fact we do have to remain cordial to that camp in some manner, especially being she's "mom" now.

Sometimes it's better to be dead and right

Than it is to be alive and disillusioned

Trust me. Just because that guy is performing, doesn't mean he's okay. Self-important, selfish fans (no offense) just want him to perform so they can be happy, but on a human being level Axl is a fragile as a 6-year old raped child suicide bomber. And they've kept him that way, not the other way around.

When Duff said the word "sharks", this is what he meant.

i know where you're coming from & agree w/most of it but theyre not the 'worst thing' to ever happen to him. they're up there, in the top 3/5. but you have to figure he was already damaged enough to let these people into his life in the first place. (they're also prob not even the worst thing that's happened to the fans of the band, but again they'd be top 3)

they haven't helped fix him. & in fact perhaps only indulged him.

& it's prob always better to be alive than dead, y'know...

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

agree to disagree....he needed a mother figure and she filled that role at a time when I think he really needed it. All the other stuff I freely admit I don't know about....

I agree with Russ. Without getting into specifics, Beta and that whole situation has been literally THE WORST thing to EVER happen to Axl. And i'll also leave it at that, because of the personal feelings involved, and the fact we do have to remain cordial to that camp in some manner, especially being she's "mom" now.

Sometimes it's better to be dead and right

Than it is to be alive and disillusioned

Trust me. Just because that guy is performing, doesn't mean he's okay. Self-important, selfish fans (no offense) just want him to perform so they can be happy, but on a human being level Axl is a fragile as a 6-year old raped child suicide bomber. And they've kept him that way, not the other way around.

When Duff said the word "sharks", this is what he meant.

I lie in the soil and fertilize mushrooms
Leaking out gas fumes are made into perfume
You can't fire me because I quit!
Throw me in the fire and I won't throw a fit

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dead and right? Uh, no.... It's better to be alive and wrong. There's millions of people who save their lives and put them back together through religion and they become total heartless assholes afterwards... Thing is, when you're alive, you're allowed to change and evolve. When you're dead, you're not. That's it.

The worst thing to happen to GN'R was success. Not Beta. Before Beta there was Yoda, and then whoever else was in Axl's life. If it wasn't Beta it'd be someone else, probably someone seriously nefarious ... like Eugene Landy. I think at worst, Beta is an enabler and a pot stirrer.

Beta and Fernando act like fools, but that has nothing to do with whether they were good for Axl or not. And at the end of the day, all the bad decisions Axl has made goes back to him. Nobody else.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:

Damn! That looks fuckin' nasty!!!

@axlrose: 50 Shades Of... Purple!! http://t.co/oa6R2vdp

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ughhhh... That is nasty.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:

Looks like they will stream the gig in London on 31 May!

Hopefully we'll get a good quality TWAT out of it!  smile

http://livebeats.com/event298

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

ok, i promise that i hope this'll be the last time i get into this crap.

BUT:
since 2001 there's been on aggregate about 5 songs difference between then & now.  that TO ME is the same setlist. "way different" to '06 my backside.
i dunno about you guys, but when i go see "other bands" when they come to town for their new the tour it's usually very different. not 11 yrs of p much the exact same set. no "other band", or rather not other respectable band, a band you could die for, would be presenting the same show GnR have been doing. now of course no new album is a major cause of this, or a new album is a major cause of why "other bands" play different sets, but again the staid setlist only serves to highlight the fundamental lack of creativity @ the heart of the matter.

NOW, plz don't get me wrong - i think the setlist itself is fuckin bangin' (bar KOHD & a few covers/solo spots). my POINT is, the setlists are INDICATIVE of the general malaise that has infected the b(r)and since Axl became commander-in-chief.

what i'm 'COMPLAINING' about is the lack of vitality & passion, a lack of renewal & energy. these were things i cherished, loved & believed to exist in GnR that i simply do not see any more. when i look at the setlists i see a band playing it SAFE.

it's not about going out & playing Cornshucker one night & Down on the Farm the next, it's about the thought & creativity, or else, & even Better, spontaneity that goes into the show. & there is obviously very very little of that effort being expended these days.

now i know a lot of you, like MC, speculate on the reasons for this "playing it safe" kinda strategy, but that does not wash w/me.
Axl has always talked the talk but he's no longer presenting what he says he is, he's not walking the walk. what he's presenting is an oldies act devoid of vitality. & that, to me, is the exact image of GnR these days. THAT is why the setlists matter, because they show the naked ambition of the band & that ambition is sorely lacking anything i can support.
for want of a Better term, it's like they're going thru the motions. (now i know they still put on a good show, but it's not transcendent or even attempting to be, & that makes me a sad fuckin panda cause it's like a betrayal or a waste of a lot of what i loved about the band. there was a time............)

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-set … ?year=2002
2002 Average setlist
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
Think About You
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
You Could Be Mine
Sweet Child O' Mine
Out Ta Get Me
Robin Finck Guitar Solo
Madagascar
Axl Rose Piano Solo
November Rain
Buckethead Guitar Solo
Rocket Queen
Street of Dreams
Chinese Democracy

My Michelle
Patience
Nightrain
Encore:
Robin Finck Guitar Solo
Paradise City

2006 http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-set … ?year=2006
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
Robin Finck Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Instrumental Jam
Better
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
You Could Be Mine
Street of Dreams
Instrumental Jam
Richard Fortus & Robin Finck Guitar Duet
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Out Ta Get Me
Axl Rose Piano Solo
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
My Michelle
I.R.S.
Madagascar
Patience
Nightrain
Encore:
Chinese Democracy
Paradise City

2012 http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-set … ?year=2012
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
You're Crazy
Rocket Queen
Estranged
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
(Paul McCartney & Wings cover)
This I Love
Motivation
Used to Love Her
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Street of Dreams
You Could Be Mine
Instrumental Jam
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Axl Rose Piano Solo
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
Don't Cry
Civil War
Nightrain
Encore:
Instrumental Jam
Better
Madagascar
Instrumental Jam
Instrumental Jam
Patience
Paradise City

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'll grant you the setlists aren't radically different over the last decade.  But they have added different songs each leg of the tour, which as was stated, most bands do.  All this with only releasing one album along the way.  That's where the ridiculousness lies.  Not in the setlist repetition.  It's the lack of new material.  The setlists have changed as much as they can considering the amount of material we've gotten and the fact that there are certain songs they have to play.  I've seen them 3 times, 2002, 2006, and 2011.  Each show offered something different.  Multiple songs in fact.  I've seen other bands over the years whose setlists change far less than that. 

GNR is no Pearl Jam, U2, or Prince when it comes to shaking things up.  But they're not AC/DC, Def Leppard, or Van Halen either.  They change the setlists up enough.  What they don't do is release albums frequently enough.  That situation is still as laughable as ever.

Board footer