You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: May 19th Nottingham

-D- wrote:

Im neither negative nor a hater

I call it like I see it

big difference

If that hurts people's feelings or makes me less of a fan I'll accept it.

I think a fan's job in part, is to hold the artist accountable.

Axl is supposed to have integrity etc which is why these cash grab same ole shit tours are weird to me.

He is even wearing the same fucking clothes.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Its the fourth Chinese Democracy tour, the tensions that have broken out around the set list are inevitable.

At 50, my feeling is that Axl just can't sing a lot of his material every night so just doesn't. This cuts down his choices of material.

Mix that with a man that works through things at an astonisingly show pace and you get what you have today.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah I'm usually accused of over analysing it...but the whole thing reeks to me of a person who suffers from severe anxiety or depression....

He goes off about what people say about him in the media because he spends way too much time insulting himself that someone else doing it pushes him over the edge.

HTGTH is censored, along with the step-ford wives nature of everyone associated with GNR, because Axl is so often depressed or upset that it's been decided the best way is to let him see NOTHING that could set him off.

Nothing ever comes out because it's almost impossible for Axl to live up to his own standards, and down deep he knows the rest of the world is against  half of his actions anway, on the right day this fuels him but most of the time it just makes him sad.

Shows start late because it takes that damn long for Axl to psyche himself up to go out and deal with all the risks of failure that come from performing in public at his level.

When shows do happen they follow an order and a routine. Same set list, same breaks in the same places, same clothes, same tent to escape to, same backstage set up...same everything....

why?

Because last time he got through it, he was able to survive doing it. It went ok in that configuration. So why take the smallest risk to swap anything out.

And that's what I think it comes down to. But could be totally wrong.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The thing that bores me with the set list bitching is that it always comes with these claims of GN'Rs imminent destruction.

When this UK Tour was announced people were saying how GN'R better change everything because no one was going to be interested in the show, etc. People were saying what a failure the tour was going to be without a new album. No one could understand how they could possibly go back to Dublin.

Yet all of that is untrue. No new album, playing mostly the same sets, went to Dublin. Reviews and casual fans are all saying the shows are fantastic.

GnR's destruction already happened.  It happened a long time ago...maybe 1991, maybe 1996, maybe 2002.  Doesn't really matter when you think it happened, but it happened.  Reviews of casual fans may be great, but there are less and less casual fans every day.  I'd argue that anybody going to a GnR show on the 4th CD tour isn't really a casual fan anyway, but that's a discussion for another day.

So yes, we have a band headed by Axl Rose touring as GnR because he obtained the rights to the name.  We haven't had GnR for a long, long time.  I know what your ticket says...if you think that's anything close to what you got for your ticket in 1991, I don't know what to tell you.  Congrats I guess.

Rimov
 Rep: 10 

Rimov wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Reviews of casual fans may be great, but there are less and less casual fans every day.

Doubt about it. Actually, i'm much more casual fan then hardcore fan, and moreover i'm NEW fan. And what i saw in Moscow show - about 99% of audience looked like casual fans, and most of them was YOUNG people, 20-30 years old, so i have felt myself like quite old (37 years old).

What about myself - I have already noted it in this forum - i miss G n'R in my youth, but now I unpredictable feel that this music became very close to me right now and i start to investigate G n'R world and i am enjoing with this.

And i could suggest that a lot of people feel the same, cause old music of  G n'R became very actual now, i can't explain why.

See Bumbefoot video shots of audience after european concerts. You will see mostly young faces - not like on Iron Maiden or Deep Purple shows. That's why group return to Dublin with no new CD, with the same set list and gig as it seems was amazing.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Rimov wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Reviews of casual fans may be great, but there are less and less casual fans every day.

Doubt about it. Actually, i'm much more casual fan then hardcore fan, and moreover i'm NEW fan. And what i saw in Moscow show - about 99% of audience looked like casual fans, and most of them was YOUNG people, 20-30 years old, so i have felt myself like quite old (37 years old).

What about myself - I have already noted it in this forum - i miss G n'R in my youth, but now I unpredictable feel that this music became very close to me right now and i start to investigate G n'R world and i am enjoing with this.

And i could suggest that a lot of people feel the same, cause old music of  G n'R became very actual now, i can't explain why.

See Bumbefoot video shots of audience after european concerts. You will see mostly young faces - not like on Iron Maiden or Deep Purple shows. That's why group return to Dublin with no new CD, with the same set list and gig as it seems was amazing.

What he said.

My point is plenty of people are going to GN'R concerts, loving what they're seeing and hearing and plenty of people are going back.

They aren't "casual" fans.  Not how I would define casual at least.  Casual fans wouldn't even know there was a show unless a friend told them.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Im neither negative nor a hater

I call it like I see it

big difference

If that hurts people's feelings or makes me less of a fan I'll accept it.

I think a fan's job in part, is to hold the artist accountable.

Axl is supposed to have integrity etc which is why these cash grab same ole shit tours are weird to me.

My biggest problem with the "bitching" this time around is that YOU started this thread solely to bitch about the setlist.  In the past threads have been started for every show to discuss what happened.  Recently, since things haven't been discussion worthy for the most part, that hasn't been the case.  But you went ahead and started a thread posting the same setlist, just to point that out.  Again, we get it.  It's the same setlist.  If it's the same setlist tomorrow or the next day is there a need to start a new thread to state as much? 

Is it crazy and ridiculous that they're touring CD again?  YES.  No one is going to argue on that point.  We know this.  We don't need to go over it for the 748th time.  I'd brace yourself for much more of the same.  IF something cool happens along the way, great.  And I do think we will get some cool stuff during this run.  I get the frustration, I do, and it's totally warranted.  But we have 19 different threads going on discussing the setlists already, so there was no need to start a new one.  Because this thread was not about discussing the show in Nottingham.  You made that abundantly clear.  It was an attempt to once again start the "tired same old setlist" debate.  And you were successful, so congrats.

Board footer