You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

Intercourse wrote:

As with most things involving Axl, I don't get this. So what is he saying? That a former member (Izzy) of his own (Axl) band made a deal with his own (Axl) managers to get paid to come out and play a few songs with his old (Izzy) band? And on top of that he (Axl) and Guns N' Roses knew nothing about it ahead time? And that was "probably for the best"?

Huh?

This is passive /agressive characters at their best.. The full quote from the Del article is below. He is literally strioking Izzy with one hand and slapping him with another. And for a man notorious for using a teleprompter, walking off stage and going on late; his comments in the first section about relying on Izzy are hypocrisy in its extreme...

"The Izzy bit was fun- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Does it really matter? I guess he sees it as playing a gig, we don't know how much he's actually getting, anyway. But he shows up a lot. Izzy doesn't tour a whole lot, or release a whole lot of music, and wanting to be compensated isn't that big of a deal to me, anyway. And it really doesn't show or prove that he disrespects anyone, or any legacy, or anything like that.

Didn't Axl have to pay Slash to do the solos for Estranged and November Rain when he refused? Does that make the solo's or songs any less meaningful? Does it change your perspective of Slash? It doesn't hurt my view of those songs. Estranged is still my favorite, the NR solo is still one of my favorite guitar solos ever. And knowing Izzy gets compensated for playing multiple shows with GN'R doesn't change my view of him.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I remember Slash paying Axl one night on the UYI tour to open the set with a different song, I think it might have been Nightrain? Lol

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Getting expenses covered, sure, getting paid in addition, I would tell Izzy to fuck off.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

ID, they were in a band together then.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I remember Slash paying Axl one night on the UYI tour to open the set with a different song, I think it might have been Nightrain? Lol

There you go... At the end of the day, it doesn't even matter.

SG, when you're in a band you shouldn't HAVE to pay someone to do something. So, this isn't any sort of new territory for these guys.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Really, cause in the nfl, the QB often pays the oline for saving his ass.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

There's no way anyone is going to fly all over the world to do a few songs a show on their own dime. That's not reality. GN'R has a touring expense account, like every other band, and it makes since for them to fork out airfair and hotel rooms for Izzy, if that's what they're going to do.

From the backstage footage in 2006, Izzy looks to be having a blast with the band. I don't see anything other than these guys wanting to play with each other.

This just says it's not simply a matter of buddies getting together on stage to have some fun. It's a business deal. You said it yourself nobody is flying all over the world on their own dime to doa  few songs. Had Izzy been in New York and Guns been playing in New York maybe but in this case it's pretty damn clear Izzy was paid and paid well no doubt. Such a  PR stunt by Guns after the whole RRHOF thing. It's clear as day this is all about money and you admit it in your post, yet you try to pass it off as something else.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Really, cause in the nfl, the QB often pays the oline for saving his ass.

That isn't even the same thing, dude. Buying dinner or gifts for doing your job well ain't even the same thing.  They're supposedly working together. You shouldn't have to pay someone to change up the setlist or perform the solos on songs.

If your analogy is correct, Slash should be paying him for writing those songs!! 14

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

If your analogy is correct, Slash should be paying him for writing those songs!! 14

I guess by your theory Axl should be paying Slash for all the solos and riffs he wrote then cause Axl sure as fuck didn't write them. You put the smiley face as though Slash rode Axl's coattails straight to the bank. your inability to be objective is getting worse everyday.

Board footer