You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

Intercourse wrote:

Izzy actually said that Slash was just repeating what Axl said about the guitars..looking for the interview now..

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Found it..
http://www.chopaway.com/articles/musician92.php

What was your relationship to Slash?

"I don't think he really wanted another guitar player, but it was kind of a package deal, Axl and I. We had periods where we actually wrote songs together and worked out our parts. There was a little bit more interplay on _Appetite_ than _Illusion_. He was like a brother, but a brother who really wanted to be out on his own.

"On _Illusion_ I did the basic tracks, then he did his tracks, like a month or two by himself. Then came Axl's vocal parts. I went back to Indiana. I'd been around for rehearsals, learning the songs and all that stuff. I didn't really listen to the record until it was out. When I finally did hear it, it was what I expected: The guitars were basically buried."

Slash has accused you of turning in sloppily made demo tapes.

"That's not Slash talking. That's Axl talking and Slash repeating it. Axl did say the tapes weren't up to GNR standards. Well, in the beginning nobody owned an eight-track. All our tapes were made on a cassette player. Whatever, I'm credited with just about everything I wrote. I will say that Slash was much better at keeping tapes in order. He always labeled stuff."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I read once Slash had to re-record Izzy's parts. So a lot of what you think is Izzy is Slash. Don't Cry is one I think he did this on.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I read once Slash had to re-record Izzy's parts. So a lot of what you think is Izzy is Slash. Don't Cry is one I think he did this on.

I knew that.  Locomotive is an awesome example.  The thing is, he played Izzy's parts.  It seems like for whatever reason, he abandoned the interacting guitars post Izzy, which is too bad.  It's one of the things that made them so special.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

There's also an interview with either Slash or Gilby...can't remember which....

I don't have the quote around right now...but it's about when Gilby joined the band...and him about learning the records for the tour...and he tells the story of playing the songs with Slash at rehearsal and Slash saying "no..that's my bit you're playing" and they realise it's because Gilby learnt from the record and you can't actually hear what Izzy was doing on the recorded version.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I knew that.  Locomotive is an awesome example.  The thing is, he played Izzy's parts.  It seems like for whatever reason, he abandoned the interacting guitars post Izzy, which is too bad.  It's one of the things that made them so special.

Yeah, there's definitely a different vibe on the UYI records. Even the song Ghost on Slash's album. I swear, I can't even hear Izzy on it. All I hear is Slash.

That's a funny story about Gilby. smile

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy was AWOL most of the illusions sessions. Slash actually got that shit done musically. He was the conductor during that time cause Adler and Izzy were out of it and so it was mainly Sorum, Duff, and Slash. Then Axl would show up every now and then after they played shit for each other over the phone. The did right 36 songs in 36 days.

Sky Dog wrote:

You guys are spinning the Slash shit again...Izzy isn't even credited as playing on Locomotive..looking at it right now. Then, you start making up shit. Show me the quote where Slash says I re-recorded Izzy's parts. Also, if true, why would he? Maybe ego? Maybe he wanted all the glory? Fuck that...Izzy's parts are what make AFD awesome. He wasn't Slash's ape. He did his own thing. Gilby sucked and so did the Shit Incident because Gilby re-did Izzy's parts. Gilby played what Slash wanted him to. Yep, Gilby and the poodle Sorum enjoyed the paycheck and said "Yes . Sir." Which, in turn, made Axl not want to record with him or them. They were monkeys' just like the majority of guys in new guns you criticize. Izzy's songs on the Illusions are fuckin awesome and I wish we heard more of his guitar. The main reason I don't enjoy Slash's post Gnr work is that it is all Slash. He doesn't have anybody being the ying to his yang. For the most part it is just straight hairy knuckle riff rock. He certainly has his moments of subtlety but for the most part it is just Slash and a bunch of classic rock regurgitated riffs with horrific lyrics and vocals.

and ps, I know, Axl hasn't done anything either. We got it. This is more Izzy/Slash now.

and pss, I'll take Izzy's first Ju Ju Hounds record over all of Slash's post Gnr work. Shuffle It All Bitches!

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Found it..
http://www.chopaway.com/articles/musician92.php

What was your relationship to Slash?

"I don't think he really wanted another guitar player, but it was kind of a package deal, Axl and I. We had periods where we actually wrote songs together and worked out our parts. There was a little bit more interplay on _Appetite_ than _Illusion_. He was like a brother, but a brother who really wanted to be out on his own.

"On _Illusion_ I did the basic tracks, then he did his tracks, like a month or two by himself. Then came Axl's vocal parts. I went back to Indiana. I'd been around for rehearsals, learning the songs and all that stuff. I didn't really listen to the record until it was out. When I finally did hear it, it was what I expected: The guitars were basically buried."

Slash has accused you of turning in sloppily made demo tapes.

"That's not Slash talking. That's Axl talking and Slash repeating it. Axl did say the tapes weren't up to GNR standards. Well, in the beginning nobody owned an eight-track. All our tapes were made on a cassette player. Whatever, I'm credited with just about everything I wrote. I will say that Slash was much better at keeping tapes in order. He always labeled stuff."

this warrants no reaction from the Slashites? As stated, in the end and in the beginning, "I don't think he really wanted another guitar player, but it was kind of a package deal, Axl and I."

Axl and I....READ THAT AGAIN...then come forward and figure out the rrhof thing. Good luck guys! Spin some yarn....tell Izzy what he thinks.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

You guys are spinning the Slash shit again...Izzy isn't even credited as playing on Locomotive..looking at it right now. Then, you start making up shit. Show me the quote where Slash says I re-recorded Izzy's parts. Also, if true, why would he? Maybe ego? Maybe he wanted all the glory? Fuck that...Izzy's parts are what make AFD awesome. He wasn't Slash's ape. He did his own thing. Gilby sucked and so did the Shit Incident because Gilby re-did Izzy's parts. Gilby played what Slash wanted him to. Yep, Gilby and the poodle Sorum enjoyed the paycheck and said "Yes . Sir." Which, in turn, made Axl not want to record with him or them. They were monkeys' just like the majority of guys in new guns you criticize. Izzy's songs on the Illusions are fuckin awesome and I wish we heard more of his guitar. The main reason I don't enjoy Slash's post Gnr work is that it is all Slash. He doesn't have anybody being the ying to his yang. For the most part it is just straight hairy knuckle riff rock. He certainly has his moments of subtlety but for the most part it is just Slash and a bunch of classic rock regurgitated riffs with horrific lyrics and vocals.

and ps, I know, Axl hasn't done anything either. We got it. This is more Izzy/Slash now.

and pss, I'll take Izzy's first Ju Ju Hounds record over all of Slash's post Gnr work. Shuffle It All Bitches!

He may have had to record them again because he was never there to fix his fuck ups. Izzy didnt play on Civil War either.

Board footer