You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

monkeychow wrote:

I guess i'm just different to you guys.

I could take or leave izzy's stones inspired stuff. It's cool in it's own way. I don't hate it or anything. But to me it's just equal to the stuff that inspired it. Whereas Slash is better than aerosmith now, and I like Axl's elton john stuff more than actual elton john....

What was amazing about GNR was Axl's voice/lyrics/melodies and Slash's once in a generation style emotive riffs and solos.

So for this reason Izzy's projects are equal to Duff's solo projects to me. Cool  but not really what it was about GNR that I liked. And I put Axl and Slash's solo works, along with their collaborative efforts amongst my absolute favourite music of all time.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I guess i'm just different to you guys.

I could take or leave izzy's stones inspired stuff. It's cool in it's own way. I don't hate it or anything. But to me it's just equal to the stuff that inspired it. Whereas Slash is better than aerosmith now, and I like Axl's elton john stuff more than actual elton john....

What was amazing about GNR was Axl's voice/lyrics/melodies and Slash's once in a generation style emotive riffs and solos.

So for this reason Izzy's projects are equal to Duff's solo projects to me. Cool  but not really what it was about GNR that I liked. And I put Axl and Slash's solo works, along with their collaborative efforts amongst my absolute favourite music of all time.

We basically get to the same conclusion but on opposite ends.  I listen to a lot of Axl and Slash's stuff and think, Wow they really miss what Izzy and Duff brought.

I like Izzy's stuff the best, and it's really not even that close.  That said, I'd rather listen to the Stones or the Ramones than Queen or Elton John.  I don't dislike them, but it's not where I go first. 

I'm also not really an 80's hair rock fan.  I obviously love GNR.  Some Motley Crue is great but a lot of it is shit too.  Most of the rest I'll cherry pick a song here or there, but I'm really not into it as a whole.  Plus, more often than not, I like solos that flow like a melody line much more than shredding type stuff. 

All of that has its place, just not what I like the best.  I'm one of the people who wanted GNR to take The Stones' place as the greatest hard blues band in the world.  Nothing else in that time slithered the way GNR did.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

We basically get to the same conclusion but on opposite ends.  I listen to a lot of Axl and Slash's stuff and think, Wow they really miss what Izzy and Duff brought.

I like Izzy's stuff the best, and it's really not even that close.  That said, I'd rather listen to the Stones or the Ramones than Queen or Elton John.  I don't dislike them, but it's not where I go first. 

I'm also not really an 80's hair rock fan.  I obviously love GNR.  Some Motley Crue is great but a lot of it is shit too.  Most of the rest I'll cherry pick a song here or there, but I'm really not into it as a whole.  Plus, more often than not, I like solos that flow like a melody line much more than shredding type stuff. 

All of that has its place, just not what I like the best.  I'm one of the people who wanted GNR to take The Stones' place as the greatest hard blues band in the world.  Nothing else in that time slithered the way GNR did.

I just typed out this exact post word for word then realized you had already done it so I just quoted you instead.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

FYI, slash and Axl are huge stones fans too.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I like Duff's stuff more than Izzy's. In fact, I like Gilby's Cure Me Or Kill Me more than the post-GN'R Izzy albums combined. I think his only decent work was the JuJu Hounds record. That's a 6/10. Other than that... a good song here and there, but mostly uninspired bland stuff. Life's too short to listen that.

On the other hand Axl and Slash are still bringing what I loved the most in GN'R, but their music is missing the other guys' input to be really GN'R.

Board footer