You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Slash ft Myles & The Conspirators Aussie Tour 2012

She Builds Quick Machines, The Last Fight, Fall to Pieces, and a few other cuts from either VR or GNR would be nice!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

She Builds Quick Machines, The Last Fight, Fall to Pieces, and a few other cuts from either VR or GNR would be nice!

SBQM is a terrible song. One of VR's worst to my ears...:ummm:

Me_Wise_Magic

Okay. everyone has their own music tastes! I just love Slash's solos on the track! Music video was badass too even though Scott looked like a douche!

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, each to their own. I just hated that song, riff wise, vocal melody, lyrics. Aside from the ok solo, it was REALLY bland to my ears...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm looking forward to sunday!

Only thing I don't get is "Beggars & Hangers-On" - Slash has always pushed this track hard - but there's so many better songs on Snakepit 1 that he totally ignores.

Also "falling to pieces" is by far my least fav VR song - way prefer something like suckertain blues...which is at least a possibility.

For me though I'll be happy to cop the new songs this time around - want some anastasia, hallo etc

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Just a quick write up on tonight's show in Sydney before I go to bed.

Fucking awesome!!!:mosh::slash:

The new stuff kicked ass, and so did the classics. Slash didn't talk much at all at the gig until the very end, the band just went straight into every song after another with barely a break in between.

No surprises in the set list, no guest appearances, but the band was tight as fuck, and with all the cameras around, they happened to mention that they were filming the entire show. They didn't say where it would be shown or when it would be released, but THEY FILMED THE FUCKING SHOW!!!
How awesome is that?!?!??!!!:beer:

The crowd was great too, the standing floor section was completely full, and everyone was way into it. I was in the first seated elevation area, and lots of people around me standing up and singing and dancing along.

I will also say, the Apocalyptic Love tracks kick so much ass live, so much more punch, and intensity. All of them were performed great, but Halo, Anastasia and Not For Me were highlights.

Myles seemed so much more confident this time around too, and the entire band were grinning ear to ear for the whole show. Slash seemed kinda shy, but he was really into his performance and playing.

And I know all bands usually say this after a show, but Slash said "seeya next year" at the very end, so I'm REALLY hoping that means they'll be back in Australia for Soundwave festival in 2013.

August 25th, Sydney Entertainment Centre, Sydney, Australia
Halo
Nightrain (Guns N' Roses)
Ghost
Standing in the Sun
Back From Cali
My Michelle (Guns N' Roses)
Beggars & Hangers-On (Slash's Snakepit)
Not for Me
Rocket Queen (Guns N' Roses)
Doctor Alibi (Todd Kerns on lead vocals)
Out Ta Get Me (Guns N' Roses, Todd Kerns on lead vocals)
No More Heroes
Starlight
Crazy Life
Blues Jam / Guitar Solo / Godfather Theme
Anastasia
Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
You're a Lie
Slither (Velvet Revolver)
Fall to Pieces (Velvet Revolver)
Paradise City (Guns N' Roses)

Me_Wise_Magic

Glad you had a rocking time man!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Went to the melbourne show last night.

Actually the 9th time I've seen slash live (inc GNR/VR etc) and as usual he sure didn't disappoint and I left the venue with that feeling that you have been privileged to see one of the greats.

I would actually say this is slash in his prime too, while he doesn't have the running around energy of his youth, his zest is still obvious and sobriety along with an additional few decades at his craft have improved both his technical prowess and his ability to capture emotion with his playing. Modern slash would mop the stage with his former self.

The setlist was the usual mix of classic and modern Slash tracks, the AL tracks sounded superb live - with myles really coming alive. While I've been vocal about my love for Duff and Matt and their strange absence from this project - I have to give props to Todd who really does a killer job of backing myles' vocals and nails the Lemmy track. Meanwhile Brent smashed out the drums in amazing form, the sound ppl had given us a really great drum mix with the tom drums being prominent - so songs like brownstone and ghost really came alive!

Last few times I've seen slash it was in relatively small intimate venues, that sort of promoted shoving and violence from being over packed, so the change to an arena show made things a little more subdued but it was still clear that the audience was involved and loving it.

As well as the obvious GNR hits - it was notable to me that several of the 2010 hits also got audible pops from the audience - especially "Back from Cali" that got a huge cheer with it's opening strums. While obviously slash will always be slash and people love that GNR back catalogue - it seemed a lot of the fanbase has really adapted and embraced his new era - there were a lot of 2010 tour shirts around and the interest seemed consistent no matter the track.

There's obvious moments of greatness in the current show -  the added solos in rocketqueen - the fact that slash now pretty much improvises over some of the themes in all the solos - for example Dr Alibi - he plays the studio solo but with added grace notes and a few little twists - he's one of those few people that really plays better live than in the studio these days.

If I had to pick a moment - I'd say it was the blues Jam that really won me over. Wasn't expecting it but the band broke into a 12 bar blues jam sort of piece for 5 mins or so where slash built up from mild to frantic blues soloing. It was so expressive and emotional - that it makes you realise that while he's known for his rock chops - slash is also a master in the blues field and could easily have tailored his career to focus on that and been a SRV or a Clapton - he's really right up there with the best of all time.

While the show was huge from the get go - mid way through
Slash nailed us with a triple hit - the blues jam, going into the godfather solo then coming out of that into Anastasia - which likewise has had its outtro extended into the realm of the true guitar god territory.

Buz will call this an emotional response. But the feeling I got was really that Slash must be the greatest living guitarist. There's other more technical guys I love too like Mustaine/Bucket etc - but slash just channels something on a whole other level to what people do - he's got amazing chops now in his own right - but above that - the emotional vibe he puts into the songs is downright spiritual now...there's a ton of bands I love...but you watch a show like this...and it's like having seen hendrix in his prime or something like that - it's not just good for today - it's good compared to all of time.

Me_Wise_Magic

Awesome Monkey! Always a pleasure to hear praise about the man with the top hat and guitar in hand! I agree from the past footage I've seen online, Slash is playing better live then he has in years and it shows he always improves his technique.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Great review Monkey, and yeah, I agree with all that you wrote.
Especially about the solo material getting huge cheers from the crowd in Sydney too. I recall Back From Cali getting a huge cheer at the intro as well.

August 26th, Hisense Arena, Melbourne, Australia
Halo
Nightrain (Guns N' Roses)
Ghost
Standing in the Sun
Back From Cali
Mr. Brownstone (Guns N' Roses)
Beggars & Hangers-On (Slash's Snakepit)
Rocket Queen (Guns N' Roses)
Not for Me
Doctor Alibi (Todd Kerns on lead vocals)
You're Crazy (Guns N' Roses, Todd Kerns on lead vocals)
Crazy Life
No More Heroes
Starlight
Blues Jam / Guitar Solo / Godfather Theme
Anastasia
Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
You're a Lie
Slither (Velvet Revolver)
Nice Boys (Rose Tattoo cover, with Angry Anderson)
Paradise City (Guns N' Roses)

Board footer