You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Slash ft Myles & The Conspirators Aussie Tour 2012

Aussie wrote:

Well the Perth gig is at Metropolis City which is a large club that has capacity of apprx 2000 people, so no seats.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Ill I can see about it - is that I see Slash - and I'm thankful for what IS.

IE:  a great new album and a man currently playing at top form.

With Axl at the moment it's either about what WAS (old songs - not singing as well as previously at the moment) or what COULD BE (great line up - that never releases music).

No disrespect to Axl - I have 100% belief in Axl as a composer - and the day he wins his battle with the demons that keep him from accomplishing what he was born to do - I'll cheer louder than anyone. But as I see it at the moment - he's not in vocal form, he's playing old music, and things are stagnant as hell.

So if we're going to penis measure...I have to give this round to slash - new album and playing better than ever.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

have 100% belief in Axl as a composer - and the day he wins his battle with the demons that keep him from accomplishing what he was born to do - I'll cheer louder than anyone

He's 51 monkey: since 1993 he's had tens of millions to spend on shrinks, mystics, masseurs, managers, guitar players etc and nobody, not even the mighty Beta can seem to get him to continue accomplishing what he was born to do.

What it appears Axl was mostly born to do was obsesses over himself and his place in this world.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah. I hear that.

I dunno though.

As real as his "problems" (for want of a better term) are - that have caused the band to fall to this level, that have made his life a misery , that have caused a lot of what GITR would call "all the fucking shit" of GNR....one thing remains true to me....he's a talented motherfucker...whatever else he is....you can give me or my next door a million dollars and I can't write the songs he has...he's got that something about his brain that makes someone do something exceptional....

Now I see how things are as kind of an illness, and it's an illness that may never go away, and maybe Axl doen't even want it to, but one thing I don't count out...is that IF and it's a huge IF...but if something made him see the world different...or if he found a way out of this darkness...that man is someone that can do something powerful still....and while he lives...I have hope of this...however distant!

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

Personally I believe the man is suffering from a complex called Victimized Extreme Narcissism

Here is some blurb about it from a doctors blog:

Another way that the narcissist’s ego gets special attention is through the role of being a victim. Welcome to the victimized extreme narcissist. Most persons recognize ego as arrogance. At the same time they fail to see the subtle deception of ego when it takes the role of a being a victim. As kind and compassion-driven human beings, we easily are fooled by this form of extreme ego…..

The deception of the ego is that the narcissist can hide behind misfortune and victimization in order to shame you into feeling and believing that they suffer more than you do. They will say that you don’t care enough for them. They will make you feel that you have not done enough to help them.

The ego wants attention, control, gain, and power over others by positioning itself as a “poor and helpless” victim. It does this all the while it soaks up the attention and control over others.

In the eyes of an extreme narcissist, their situation is always right and totally justified. Instead of taking responsibility for self and consequences, the extreme narcissist tries to make others feel responsible for their plight. Because extreme narcissists are incredibly adept at the game of manipulation, they will always find a way to turn the tables on you. They will try to make you responsible and feel guilty for not helping them or taking their side and cause.

Extreme narcissists often shift gears from visible grandiosity to acting that they are better than others because they suffer more than others. You can see an extreme narcissist who hogs the limelight and credit from achievements and self-praise also getting similar recognition from milking an injury or a seeming misfortune that has occurred to them.

Victimized extreme narcissists are on the constant prowl looking for any gullible soul that will believe their version of calamity whether it is real, exaggerated, or fictitious. What they claim that makes their calamity different is that it is worse for them. Beware of this kind of extreme narcissism. It is just as selfish and manipulating as that of a pompous egotist. The moment they see that you don’t “fully” cooperate and act with extreme concern for them, serving and pampering them, they will eliminate you from their list of “loving” folks. They may even badmouth you and gossip or slander you as being selfish and uncaring. Imagine that!

It is usually the individuals who are humble, full of gratitude, and joyful who are the ones most capable of coping with their injuries and pain. Those who are selfish, moaning, and full of self-pity take much longer to heal or sometimes never heal but go further downhill in their health.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Well D, despite your noble efforts to "not start a vs thing", it has happened. Couldn't see that one coming. roll

I'll just say, it's sad that some people think so little of Axl at this point in time. Not saying it isn't warranted. It's just sad. And unfortunately the "comparisons" are inevitable, no matter how hard D tries to avoid them. wink

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think Axl thinks so little of Axl at this point and time.  He has for some time in my opinion. 

I think Axl's issue isn't that his ego is so big; I think it's quite the opposite.  I think he has so little confidence that he tries to hide it by appearing to have an ego.  Axl reminds me or me actually.  I am very self confident, but as soon as something happens that shakes that confidence, I suddenly start to question everything.  I become scared of making decisions and afraid of making mistakes to the point that I can't get anything done.  I get paranoid that the next mistake is going to be my downfall. 

I'm completely self-aware of this, but it doesn't matter, and it only happens on important things...it's not like it happens regarding fantasy football or something like that.  I don't care if I'm wrong on stuff like that.  But I've seen it happen at work, I've seen it happen playing poker/gambling in general (something I consider important), relationships, etc.  Rarely I can recover, but the only way I can is to start all over from scratch...once it starts snowballing, I cannot save it even though I recognize it's happening while it's happening.

I think I'm hard on Axl because I think I understand him better than most do.  I think I can relate to him, and not just his music.  I'm either in, or I'm out...there's little middle ground for me.  I see Axl the same way.  At some point he just gave up on CD because he started questioning himself.  I don't believe for one second that he ever intended things to go the way they went, but I think at some point because of his makeup it was unavoidable.  I don't know how to fix it, I don't know that it can be fixed. 

Coming up he had that confidence.  He was bold and strong.  When it all fell apart, he lost it.  He tried to regain it, but never could.  I (unlike some others) think he tried really hard to regain it, but when he gave up, he completely gave up and on the surface it would appear that he never tried at all.

I've generally stayed away from analyzing Axl for a few reasons.  One is I don't think it's fair because I'm assessing based on the little bit I know and what has happened instead of really knowing him.  Another is that I knew I would be exposing my issues to everybody as well if I ever gave my real feelings on the issue, and I'm a pretty introverted person (believe it or not).  It's also certainly possible that we are nothing alike, but the end result ends up similar by coincidence. 

This is all my opinion, I'm not stating anything (other than the things about me) as being fact, and I'm not judging the guy.  We all have our demons.  This is probably the most heartfelt post I've ever made and probably will ever make, and it's very personal, so please don't attack it.  Feel free to disagree, but there's no need to rip it to shreads...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Good post Buzz, I will now analyze your every move and compare with "what would Axl do" when we hang out two weeks in Atlanta!

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

Hey Buzz,
Very honest and insightful man. I
have to say that I wasn't just simply stabbing Axl (although I plead guilty on that charge many times). Narcissism is a mental disorder that has made people do unbelievable things. Its not simply about being an arrogant dick, its a case of when the ego and sense of self gets ill.

For me, its my personal emotional history with the band, him and their music. Their impact on me was massive and influenced the course of my life for almost two decades. That emotional part of me so wants all of those glory days of old GNR back so badly that I get frustrated that he won't give that to me, especially when I believed for so long that he could. That's my bad. Its also tied to the fact that my music career failed and if I had 10% of Axl's abilities and never ending lucky breaks, I would have devoured them, not sabotaged them like he did.

That said, people say Axl tried so hard. However when I read that insane story about his hunt for the Nirvana drum sound and the fact that he wouldn't even leave his house to come down to the studio to deal with the problem says to me that the man was plain lazy. He just got used to paying people to deliver him whatever he wanted, including GNR II.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

My opinion is that Axl's gifts are not suited to being in charge.

He analyses things very deeply.

As a key part of a team - like in old GNR - this is great - his stage moves are thought out, his lyrics crafted, his technique well placed - he can bring the songs up a level with his abilities. But someone else wrote the guitar, he's only one of 5 working on structure - other choices are made by people and there's compromise.

But as head-honcho analysis at his level  becomes a weakness - there's just too much for him to obsess about - the drum sound, the guitar arrangements, the synth, the structure, samples, bass - it becomes simply too much to analyse and takes too long for him to be in charge of every single musical choice...then add in that he's also the CEO of the brand and business side....and I think his strentgths turn into a weakness....

Board footer