You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Americans oppose health care law despite supporting it

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

I trust my gov't with my healthcare. We're all pretty healthy here compared to you, check the numbers if you want.

Your gov't probably hasn't proven itself to be completely incompetent.

Aren't all of them incompetent? You are basically the world leaders in most areas. Where exactly did you go so wrong? You look to be doing alright all things considered.

I survive in spite of my surroundings not because of them.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

I trust my gov't with my healthcare. We're all pretty healthy here compared to you, check the numbers if you want.

Your gov't probably hasn't proven itself to be completely incompetent.

Weren't you the one who told me you "lived in reality?"

We have successful government run healthcare programs for our seniors, vets and poor people. Strange is that I don't see any old people marching in the street and protesting their Medicare. I wonder why that is? Likewise my wife chooses VA over her HMO since it provides superior care. Furthermore this is not, as you portray it, a government takeover of healthcare. Not even close.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think this was a huge step forward and that's why some corporate politicians are scared. And they should be. I'm telling you right now, the face of healthcare will change.

They are terrified for one reason: Obama would have actually addressed our healthcare concerns in this country while they did not.

As time goes by and aspects of this new law help millions upon millions of Americans they will remember who, and which party, did this. More importantly they will remember who fought it every step of the way.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

This is going to be one of those times I wished I was wrong, but wasn't.  I am stunned that some of you think what you think.  Stunned.  You guys are letting your compassion for humanity blind you to the reality that this just doesn't work financially.  All the good intentions in the world don't change that fact.  Eventually you have to pay up.  I am 100% (and I mean 100%) behind true healthcare reform that is fiscally responsible. 

Let's talk in a few years.  You won't even have to tell me I'm right because it will be proven by then.  I just want to see how your point of view has changed as we go further and further into debt.  I don't care that much since I don't have any kids that I am screwing over, but if the nail wasn't already in the coffin for the next generation, it is now.

This is absolutely the gov't attempt to take over healthcare.  They know private industry will not be able to compete with what they can do financially.  They are letting private industry set up the framework, then they will take it over when private industry can't compete with the prices the gov't charges with their lower premiums being subsidized by your tax dollars.  They will then hire the people that know how to do everything from private industry as those companies fail (or takeover those companies leaving them there as a shell owned by the gov't).  Once the competition is lower or gone, prices will go up as the tax subsidy is lowered due to public pressure to not use tax dollars on it. 

Save this post for future reference.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Never mind.  I give up.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

LOL

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/survey-on … 00262.html

One in 11 employers is planning to drop health insurance coverage for workers over the next three years because of the high expense, according to a report from consulting firm Deloitte.

While Deloitte's 2012 survey of employers -- conducted before the Supreme Court's ruling in June to uphold health reform -- showed that 9% of them planned to stop offering health care coverage, 81% of companies polled said they would continue providing the benefit as a means to attract and retain employees.

That's good news for more than 160 million people -- more than half the U.S. population -- who currently get health insurance directly through their employers.

[Related: $1 Billion in Health Insurance Rebates: Taxable or Tax-free?]

Another 10% of employers polled in the Deloitte survey indicated that they hadn't yet made up their mind.

Among those employers who indicated that they wouldn't dump health coverage, most plan to make workers pick up more of the cost associated with it through higher premiums, co-pays and deductibles.

The survey also showed that smaller businesses -- those with fewer than 50 employers -- view health insurance exchanges more favorably than bigger companies.

Under health reform, states are mandated to set up health insurance exchanges -- online marketplaces where consumers can buy subsidized health plans -- by 2014.

These exchanges are geared toward making health insurance affordable to underinsured and uninsured individuals.

By 2014, companies with 50 or more full-time employees must start providing health insurance or face penalties.

For most small businesses, that means a new way to shop for less-expensive health insurance on the exchanges where they can buy plans for their workers.

Deloitte's online survey, conducted between February and April, polled 560 randomly selected companies with 50 or more workers that offer health.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

BREAKING NEWS:  Deductables have been going up anyway (doubled in the last three years) and were going to go up no matter what the Supreme Court says. Also, office visit co-pays and annual deductible (the amount the insured person / family must pay before the insurance kicks in. And this does NOT include office visit co-pays) have doubled in just 2-3 years.

THIS CURRENT SYSTEM will not last. One of the Colorado shooting vicims medical bills is 2 million dollars. That is ridiculous. It can't stay like this.

But your post is a great argument for a single payer system, or a public option. It is going to happen.

And we need to start capping the medical and pharmaceutical industries prices. People need to accept that, no matter what their "free market" ideology that supports the cartel monopolies is, it has to end. Health insurance should have never been a "for profit" industry, to begin with.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Your last sentence says why we cannot have this discussion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yes, because it's worked out so well for us, eh?

We spend twice as much on healthcare and rank near the bottom in actual care.

Americans life expectancy is 42nd in the world, behind Japan, France, Germany, UK, Chile and Cuba.

Infant Mortality in the America is 50th in the world, one of the worst in the entire industrialized world.

We're the only wealthy industrialized country in the world that lacks some form of universal health care.

A 2004 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report said: "The United States is among the few industrialized nations in the world that does not guarantee access to health care for its population."[14] A 2004 OECD report said: "With the exception of Mexico, Turkey, and the United States, all OECD countries had achieved universal or near-universal (at least 98.4% insured) coverage of their populations by 1990."[15] The 2004 IOM report observed "lack of health insurance causes roughly 18,000 unnecessary deaths every year in the United States."[14] while a 2009 Harvard study estimated that 44,800 excess deaths occurred annually due to lack of health insurance.

All the other nations that do what i suggested are kicking our asses, not only in medical care and coverage, but medical affordabilty, because they don't allow corporations to dictate who has a "right to life." The United States was number 1 in terms of health care spending per capita but ranked 39th for infant mortality, 43rd for adult female mortality, 42nd for adult male mortality, and 36th for life expectancy. Yeah, big LOL.

Board footer