You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater

DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

How many shootings like this have the USA had the past four decades.
How many shootings like this have Canada had the past four decades.

Ops.

Case closed.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

Ops.

Case closed.

if only it was that simple.  It's not, and you know it's not.  Society in the US is quite different than society in Canada.  Guns aren't the reason for that.  You can't look at situations that are different in so many ways and blame one thing for one difference.  It doesn't work that way.

ppp

ppp wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am thinking I might start carrying a gun. Had someone shot back perhaps maybe only 5 die instead of 12. Since I can control what I do and not the crazies, perhaps a gun is a good idea.

I doubt that would have helped in a dark theatre with no clear view of your target, plus being surrounded by all the chaos.  More people may have been hit in the crossfire.

Guns can help you protect your home, but in public it's a bit different. Your attacker always the element of surprise.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The guy is a coward. Like every one else who does this shit, including the Columbine pussies. Firing on people who you know can't fight back. And the moment the cops show up they either give up right away or kill themselves, despite their plans of "going out in a blaze of glory."

They are cowards.  And so is this piece of shit.  End of story.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

Ops.

Case closed.

That's really poor policy analysis because we have to assume that Canada and the USA are the same except for the policy for the conclusion to be valid. A better way to judge the effectiveness of gun control legislation is to do time-series analysis, focusing on a single location that has passed or repealed, or had struck down, gun restrictions. Basically, someplace where you have 'before' and 'after' data on gun-related violence. Places that have had the same gun control laws for a long time, strict or lax, are pretty useless for this. It's observing the change that gives us some insight into the effect of the legislation.

My challenge to gun control activists is to find that data - show me the city or state that instituted gun control legislation and then had a significant drop in gun-related crime that can't be explained away by other factors. I've yet to see that. In fact, what I have seen is the data from Chicago in the last few years, where they had close to a 10% drop in gun-related violence after a hand gun ban was struck down as unconstitutional. Now, again, this tells us close to nothing: it might capture unique characteristics about Chicago that we can't generalize, the policy enforcement mechanisms might have been poor or corrupted or simply unique, the weather could've been significantly cooler one summer than the other, etc. The best case scenario (here meaning strongest conclusion) is still just about handguns. But that's the way to go about trying to discern the effectiveness of legislation. We never get to really know for sure. The tools we have to give us some idea of what to do don't provide a ringing endorsement of gun restrictions.

My hunch about America's weird attraction to guns: it's culture, not policy. That's a bit of a cop-out since I can't tell you anything about how or why that culture is the way it is. But legislating at it is an exercise in futility I think.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The bad guys will always manage to get guns or some other method of killing people.  The whole point of guns is giving people a method of protecting themselves.  The flip sice of that is it could tuen into the wild, wild west if everybody has a gun.

Actually the point of assault rifles and automatic weapons is so far from protecting yourself it's not even funny.

On the topic of gun laws because I've been seeing it pop up all over the internet but it's so frustrating to see people completely ignore the fact that strict gun laws do help. Not saying more strict gun laws can pervent these types of incidents because they can't but ask whyis  the number of gun related crimes per capita in the States is so much higher than a country like Canada? It's cause we have gun registry laws and people don't have this dellusioanl thought process that Guns protect and we don't cling to this wild wild west idea of "everyone has the right to bare arms"  You can't just geta  gun at the drop of a dime here and whether people want to acknowledge it or not that does impact the number of gun related crimes. But again how dare the government try to take away the rights of the people to "protect themselves"

Yeah, you're not getting it.  I certainly didn't endorse automatic weapons.  Frankly, I don't like guns at all.  But the bad guys will always get them no matter what the laws are.  In some cases, our gov't will give them to them.

Actually I am getting it as I clearly stated regardless of gun laws and how strict they are when crazies want to perform these acts they will. My point was the point of guns has never been for protection and high powered weapons are most definitley not for protection. Also there si no denying that countries who have strict gun registry laws do have far less gun related crime per capita. So yes I am getting it.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

Ops.

Case closed.

if only it was that simple.  It's not, and you know it's not.  Society in the US is quite different than society in Canada.  Guns aren't the reason for that.  You can't look at situations that are different in so many ways and blame one thing for one difference.  It doesn't work that way.

Better yet. Why don't you explain the differences to me? Apart from the obvious fact that your constitution and laws regarding gun control are very different, what's so different that makes shootings like this a regular occurance in the US but yet never seem to happen in Canada? It's quite normal for neighbouring countries to compare themselves to each other to better their countries and so on. We do it all the time to Sweden and Finland.

Could it perhaps be that Canada has very hard gun control compared to the US? I think Bono said it pretty nicely above.

Some people can always do harm. Some people can always find ways. The whole idea is to avoid people like this fuck getting to guns and weapons which he has done to a very successfull degree in this case.

Would he be getting these guns in Canada? No way. And that limits his options considerably.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

Ops.

Case closed.

Better yet. Why don't you explain the differences to me? Apart from the obvious fact that your constitution and laws regarding gun control are very different, what's so different that makes shootings like this a regular occurance in the US but yet never seem to happen in Canada? It's quite normal for neighbouring countries to compare themselves to each other to better their countries and so on. We do it all the time to Sweden and Finland.

Could it perhaps be that Canada has very hard gun control compared to the US? I think Bono said it pretty nicely above.

Some people can always do harm. Some people can always find ways. The whole idea is to avoid people like this fuck getting to guns and weapons which he has done to a very successfull degree in this case.

Would he be getting these guns in Canada? No way. And that limits his options considerably.

LOL - explain ALL of the differences between Canada and the US?  I don't have that kind of time.

I'll make it simple why gun laws are irrelevant: most guns used in crimes in the US are not obtained legally.  Maybe some of them were obtained legally at one point, but were stolen or sold on the street.  Some of them were never legal.  We have gun laws in the US.  Some guns used in crimes are completely illegal in the US, yet somehow they manage to be here and get used.  Our gov't is selling guns to the bad guys in Mexico and they are being used to kill people at the border.

So explain to me again how some law is going to keep the guns out of the hands of the bad guys again?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but it's about likelihood of things happening.

Sure a hardcore bad guy will always be able to get an illegal gun.

But if guys are legal those few incidents are joined by thousands of accidental killings and maimings from non-bad guys...along with all the situations where people go on tilt and do an impulse crime (eg going on a rampage when you find your girlfriend cheating) - those kinds of crimes are made worse by guns as they inherently do more damage than knives or other "at hand" weapons around the house.

And all that is supposed to be balanced by the occasional wild west situation where a psycho is stopped in his path by an armed good samaritan. But frankly...I just don't think the maths of that adds up...it's not very often that the government sends storm troupers to the house that need fighting, it's not very often that you can successfully defend against a loon like the dude who did these killings....yet every year thousands die to protect these unlikely occurrences... it's madness. It'd be like putting an  overdose of iron daily into our water supply so when I go swimming, if a killer shark eats me then it will die before it kills others. Great idea...but does more harm than good.

Board footer