You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater

buzzsaw wrote:

If someone is going to go nuts, they are going to go nuts.  If they can't kill people with a gun, they will build a bomb or stab/slash people to death.  That's the hole in all these gun law freaks...people are going to do what they are going to do.  If guns were the only way to kill people and you could prevent the bad guys from getting them, I might agree with them.  Unfortunately, that's not the case and history is full of examples. 

I want to be clear:  I don't own a gun.  I don't want a gun - I'd be more likely to shoot myself by mistake than be able to pull the trigger when it's aimed at another human being.  I certainly don't think people should have access to automatic weapons.  I do think people should have the right to own a gun if they want to.  Our country was founded on that right.  I'm not sure I agree with carrying said gun around, but if people want to protect their own property with it, I am all for it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So if this guy had gone nuts with a knife how many people would he have killed? I bet it would be less. Why not let people have nukes. If they're going to flip and push the button they're going to flip.

No disrespect just doesn't make any sense to me.

But my country was founded as a prison...so I guess I'm more about sociological evolution than sticking to things that were a good idea hundreds of years ago in an entirely different world.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So if this guy had gone nuts with a knife how many people would he have killed? I bet it would be less. Why not let people have nukes. If they're going to flip and push the button they're going to flip.

But my country was founded as a prison...so I guess I'm more about sociological evolution than sticking to things that were a good idea hundreds of years ago in an entirely different world.

The guy rigged his apt with explosives.  He could have blown up the whole theatre.  It makes total sense.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So if this guy had gone nuts with a knife how many people would he have killed?

I'd rather ask: If arms were outlawed, would he not have been able to get a gun?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So if this guy had gone nuts with a knife how many people would he have killed?

I'd rather ask: If arms were outlawed, would he not have been able to get a gun?

Yes, that is the better question.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's so impossible to discuss gun laws with so many Americans, and buzz keeps doing those classic arguments I've heard so many times before, while a guy like monkey comes with the rest of the western worls opinion.

That argument that crazy people gets hold of shit no matter what.

Guess what, they don't. They only do it in America because the country is massive platform of weaponry.

People go nuts, but fact stands, if they wanna go nuts, it's a lot harder to get to a gun in Australia than in the US. I wouldn't even know where to turn to get a gun.

And that's again why you get these repeated performances of crazy people in the US. They get to guns. People in Australia or Canada don't. There's just as many wacos in Australia, but yet they don't find they ways to guns so easily and then you avoid perhaps 7 out of 10 nut jobs with guns. Some will always get to them, but it's all about preventing it.

After 22/7 in Norway, we instantly saw that our extremely heavy gun control laws were not heavy enough, and they immediately put in measures to prevent people getting to fire arms even more than before. And what do they do in America when it happens again and again? Keeps silent, says it's a tragedy and move on. Until next time when the same thing happens. I wonder how many decades of this will have to go on before they change their mind. Never?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Because it's going to happen anyway.  I know it's the same argument because the argument is valid and can't be overturned.  If somehow someone can't get a gun, they will blow shit up or stab people or burn people.  Are we going to ban matches and lighters or knives? 

Sporks for everybody!  And no matches or lighters should help out our healthcare issue by eliminating a lot of smoking.

If people are going to kill a bunch of people, the gun isn't the problem; the person is the problem.  All removing the gun does is change the method.  The sad reality though is that they will still get guns even with them banned.  I don't know where to get them illegally in the US either, but people do it every day. 

And you're talking to me like I'm a gun fan.  I'm not.  I would have thought I made that perfectly clear.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Great point. I honestly have no immediate comeback for this line of thought.

Well, first of all it's taking it to an extreme that isn't (currently) possible, so there is no response to the nukes comment.

As pointed out, the real question is would have been able to get a gun anyway.  And even if he couldn't, it's clear he knew explosives well enough that he could have blown up the theatre if he wanted to.  All gun laws do is keep the guns out of the hands of the average citizen.  The bad guys still get them; the (mostly) good guys still get them (cops).

Guns are used because they are effective and easy to get.  Very true.  You're assuming that changing the laws is going to make them harder to get for the bad guys.  I'm not.  It would take 100 years of raids to get all the guns in circulation in the US off the street.  So while everything you say in theory sounds great, the application doesn't look like it would go very well. 

Let me know how the war on drugs is doing for getting all the drugs off the street.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer