You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater

misterID wrote:

^^

Yeah, that guy has been right on.

I have no problem with strict gun laws. I own guns, I have no problem with that. But Buzz is right, this isn't as easy as people think.

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a Violence aspect to this in America with a direct link to our Civil War that touches every aspect of American life today, from psychologically, to drugs, to economics to our political system, that outside countries just will not understand, and why this is so difficult to control.

I'm not saying that to be a dick but this is a much more complex issue than just putting in a bunch of gun laws or even trying to ban them. This a state by state problem (which is a big part of the problem, ie: States Rights run amok), and is tied to our political system with lobbiests and special interst groups. There's so many hands in the kitchen that it's a complete mess to try to get a grip on. So yeah, different states have different gun laws, and some states have very low crime rates while others skyrocket.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^

Yeah, that guy has been right on.

I have no problem with strict gun laws. I own guns, I have no problem with that. But Buzz is right, this isn't as easy as people think.

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a Violence aspect to this in America with a direct link to our Civil War that touches every aspect of American life today, from psychologically, to drugs, to economics to our political system, that outside countries just will not understand, and why this is so difficult to control.

I'm not saying that to be a dick but this is a much more complex issue than just putting in a bunch of gun laws or even trying to ban them. This a state by state problem (which is a big part of the problem, ie: States Rights run amok), and is tied to our political system with lobbiests and special interst groups. There's so many hands in the kitchen that it's a complete mess to try to get a grip on. So yeah, different states have different gun laws, and some states have very low crime rates while others skyrocket.

I wasn't even going to get into that part of it.  Having lived in the south for about 8 years now, I can safely tell you that there will be another civil war if the gov't tries to tell them they can't have their guns.  States in the south will be dropping from the union like crazy.  Now I would move back north if that happened, but that's how seriously people take their guns down here, and if you think I'm exaggerating, you're dead wrong.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am thinking I might start carrying a gun. Had someone shot back perhaps maybe only 5 die instead of 12. Since I can control what I do and not the crazies, perhaps a gun is a good idea.

Here are highly trained men with guns, see how well they did in this incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cKPe7E … e=youtu.be

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

By the way, who the fuck takes six year olds and babies to see <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Batman</a>???

I'm not saying you can fix it, you can't. You need a total cultural revamp for it to happen. The stage is set. There will be shootings and they won't stop.

And then Canada won't have any. smile

It's silly. The south will probably go to war for them, and then people shoot politicians in the head and babies in a movie theatre and they still think it's a good idea.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Gun contol:

How many shootings like this have the USA had the past four decades.
How many shootings like this have Canada had the past four decades.

Ops.

Case closed.

if only it was that simple.  It's not, and you know it's not.  Society in the US is quite different than society in Canada.  Guns aren't the reason for that.  You can't look at situations that are different in so many ways and blame one thing for one difference.  It doesn't work that way.

Right, even more reason to have stricter gun controls in the USA as we are much different than other countries. We're obviously producing more crazies and thus a higher probability of one of them doing shit like this. The more difficult it is to obtain a weapon, then less opportunity these losers have.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'll make it simple why gun laws are irrelevant: most guns used in crimes in the US are not obtained legally.

Except for this crime of course.

I'd also like to see something to back that statement up.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Because it's going to happen anyway.

It just happened and the argument is that if people had been armed then a crisis could have been averted or made less severe. However the bad guy obtained the weapons legally, so can't we also conclude that we'd have a much lower chance of something like this happening with stricter gun laws?

Lax American guns laws surely didn't save lives in this case, or when Giffords was shot in Arizona (very pro gun state) either. The default answer always seems to be "If everybody had guns then..."  Why not simply explore the other side and say "If everybody did NOT have guns then...."

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Cramer wrote:

The default answer always seems to be "If everybody had guns then..."  Why not simply explore the other side and say "If everybody did NOT have guns then...."

Exactly....what do u need a gun for anyway....its not 1860 anymore

How the hell did he get a gun in anyway?

And wtf is wrong with people in Colorado? Why are they always having shooting sprees....

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It just happened and the argument is that if people had been armed then a crisis could have been averted or made less severe. However the bad guy obtained the weapons legally, so can't we also conclude that we'd have a much lower chance of something like this happening with stricter gun laws?

Lax American guns laws surely didn't save lives in this case, or when Giffords was shot in Arizona (very pro gun state) either. The default answer always seems to be "If everybody had guns then..."  Why not simply explore the other side and say "If everybody did NOT have guns then...."

LOL - because that is NEVER going to happen no matter what laws you pass.  I live in this thing called reality.  It's not always good, but it is what it is.  The US will break apart before guns are banned.  Period.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

LOL - because that is NEVER going to happen no matter what laws you pass.  I live in this thing called reality.  It's not always good, but it is what it is.  The US will break apart before guns are banned.  Period.

But you can control and avoid a lot. You can't go completely blank, but you can hinder and control. Welcome to the rest of us.

In the United Kingdom in 2009 there were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, about 40 times higher, and for Germany 0.2

Board footer