You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Superman Thread.

RaZor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Saw it and liked it. Russel Crow's Jor-El was bad ass, and I liked how they retold the rest of the origin in flashbacks, so it wasn't so bad watching "another origin story".

The action was awesome, but I agree the final fight sequence was way over the top. 

I like what they did with Lois, in fact it's my favorite version of the character.

Hidden Text:

The fact that she figured out Clark Kent is Superman right off the bat, this women IS an ace reporter, not an airhead that is fooled by a pair of glasses. I also like the fact that they didn't have to make her a bitch to she that she is a strong female character.

But I wasn't to happy with Pa Kent.

Hidden Text:

Maybe you should have let them die to keep your secret identity?  That's kind of odd from the character that was supposed to give superman his moral guidance. I wished the dialogue would have been "no, you did the right thing helping, but you shouldn't have let them see you". Him operating in hiding would have still made sense and it would have been truer to Pa Kent's character.

And I'm a little confused on the ending.

Hidden Text:

Did superman have to kill that family when he snapped Zod's neck?  My wife and I debated this after the movie. I thought he saved them, and cried out because he had to take a life to save the innocent. My wife thinks that the direction Superman snapped Zod's neck had Zod's heat vision slice the. In half, witch is why he cried out, because he had to kill the innocent to save the rest of the world from Zod. The didn't show the family on scene afterwards, and the scene happened so quick that I'm not sure.

Anyway, aside from my gripe about Pa Kent, really enjoyed the flick. Hope it continues to do well so we can see a sequel sooner rather than later.

I know a sequel is going to be even better and tweak some elements of this film.

As for your thoughts

Hidden Text:

I personally thought the upset Superman crying over himself killing Zod represented how he now believes there is no of his race that he can turn to or try to confide in now. His planet is gone and the only Kryptonians left are murdering psychopaths. Superman had to stop them because this is before he learns about the proper ways to use the Phantom Zone (besides the drive plans he learned from Jor-EL's blueprints given to Lois) and in most canon, Zod would eventually find a way out and try to wreak havoc again. Zod had reasons for wanting to rebuild even though they were out of line and were going to sacrifice the population of an already stable planet. I noticed in the movie that before the final battle begins, Zod while being furious and vengeful, you can almost see some tears coming across his eyes. His plans have failed and in his mindset he thought he was doing something for the greater good of the Kryptonian race.  Superman after the battle realizes that he must defend Earth and try to set an example; so this problem and amount of destruction doesn't happen at the same amount again. He's the last son of Krypton and from looking at the end scenes trying to be reasonable & friendly with the U.S. government. Will be the symbol of truth, justice, and the American way! In a different fashion though from the comics or earlier film/media canon. Which I think will get more in depth with the character when the sequel rolls around. Perhaps with Lex and Brainiac or another villain all together.

Overall I love this movie and want to see it a second and maybe third time. Just wish movies would lower their costs nowadays and I could plan things together more conveniently.

Hidden Text:

It totally makes sense that part of the grief over killing Zod has to do with Kal now being that last Of his people. I took his grief in the scene to be because it was the first time he's ever had to kill a person. Something like that weighs heavy on any rational, moral mans conscience. But my wife thinks that the grief was because he had to sacrifice that innocent family in order to safe us from Zod.  I kind of want to watch the movie again to see what direction Zod's head turns, and of she's right. I'd be shocked if she was.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
RaZor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Saw it and liked it. Russel Crow's Jor-El was bad ass, and I liked how they retold the rest of the origin in flashbacks, so it wasn't so bad watching "another origin story".

The action was awesome, but I agree the final fight sequence was way over the top. 

I like what they did with Lois, in fact it's my favorite version of the character.

Hidden Text:

The fact that she figured out Clark Kent is Superman right off the bat, this women IS an ace reporter, not an airhead that is fooled by a pair of glasses. I also like the fact that they didn't have to make her a bitch to she that she is a strong female character.

Hidden Text:

Maybe you should have let them die to keep your secret identity?  That's kind of odd from the character that was supposed to give superman his moral guidance. I wished the dialogue would have been "no, you did the right thing helping, but you shouldn't have let them see you". Him operating in hiding would have still made sense and it would have been truer to Pa Kent's character.

Hidden Text:

Did superman have to kill that family when he snapped Zod's neck?  My wife and I debated this after the movie. I thought he saved them, and cried out because he had to take a life to save the innocent. My wife thinks that the direction Superman snapped Zod's neck had Zod's heat vision slice the. In half, witch is why he cried out, because he had to kill the innocent to save the rest of the world from Zod. The didn't show the family on scene afterwards, and the scene happened so quick that I'm not sure.

Anyway, aside from my gripe about Pa Kent, really enjoyed the flick. Hope it continues to do well so we can see a sequel sooner rather than later.

I know a sequel is going to be even better and tweak some elements of this film.

As for your thoughts

Hidden Text:

I personally thought the upset Superman crying over himself killing Zod represented how he now believes there is no of his race that he can turn to or try to confide in now. His planet is gone and the only Kryptonians left are murdering psychopaths. Superman had to stop them because this is before he learns about the proper ways to use the Phantom Zone (besides the drive plans he learned from Jor-EL's blueprints given to Lois) and in most canon, Zod would eventually find a way out and try to wreak havoc again. Zod had reasons for wanting to rebuild even though they were out of line and were going to sacrifice the population of an already stable planet. I noticed in the movie that before the final battle begins, Zod while being furious and vengeful, you can almost see some tears coming across his eyes. His plans have failed and in his mindset he thought he was doing something for the greater good of the Kryptonian race.  Superman after the battle realizes that he must defend Earth and try to set an example; so this problem and amount of destruction doesn't happen at the same amount again. He's the last son of Krypton and from looking at the end scenes trying to be reasonable & friendly with the U.S. government. Will be the symbol of truth, justice, and the American way! In a different fashion though from the comics or earlier film/media canon. Which I think will get more in depth with the character when the sequel rolls around. Perhaps with Lex and Brainiac or another villain all together.

Overall I love this movie and want to see it a second and maybe third time. Just wish movies would lower their costs nowadays and I could plan things together more conveniently.

Hidden Text:

It totally makes sense that part of the grief over killing Zod has to do with Kal now being that last Of his people. I took his grief in the scene to be because it was the first time he's ever had to kill a person. Something like that weighs heavy on any rational, moral mans conscience. But my wife thinks that the grief was because he had to sacrifice that innocent family in order to safe us from Zod.  I kind of want to watch the movie again to see what direction Zod's head turns, and of she's right. I'd be shocked if she was.

Hidden Text:

actally, here's an Artie that answers my question: http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19 … ial-ending

Looks like I was right and my wife was wrong.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

RaZor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Hidden Text:

Hidden Text:

Hidden Text:

As for your thoughts

Hidden Text:

Hidden Text:

Hidden Text:

It's probably both reactions from where I was getting at too. I like this movie because people are asking questions and thinking of the decisions after the movie which is always a good thing. Discussion! smile Hope both you two get your way in who's right. The movie itself makes you think. I respect that. Yeah..Superman always tries to do the right thing and in time he finds other ways to stop powerful forces from overcoming his human side; but in this case Zod gave him no choice and loss in whatever form in never easy to let go.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Fuck I still need to see this. Been so swamped with work. Hopefully this week.

Me_Wise_Magic

dude..you are going to love it! smile Hoping this week works out in your favor.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It opened on Thursday in Australia, and saw it on Friday night. I thought it was epic, and a really great film, but not without it's flaws either.

I'll wait until everyone has seen it here to discuss it in more detail, but I highly recommend anyone to see it.

Me_Wise_Magic

metallex78 wrote:

It opened on Thursday in Australia, and saw it on Friday night. I thought it was epic, and a really great film, but not without it's flaws either.

I'll wait until everyone has seen it here to discuss it in more detail, but I highly recommend anyone to see it.

Feel free to discuss on the film dude! It's cool! I'm hoping to catch it again this week for a second viewing.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Feel free to discuss on the film dude! It's cool! I'm hoping to catch it again this week for a second viewing.

Yeah, I just don't want to give away any spoilers for those yet to see it. But then I can always use the spoiler button can't I!

Hidden Text:

Henry Cavill is a GREAT new Superman, and there were times he strongly resembled Christopher Reeve, (who I consider to be THE Superman) in both looks, and character.
And I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the scene where he's under the beam, before flying up into it to destroy it, his face is distorting, and it distorts to appear exactly like Christopher Reeve. A few other people have picked that up too!

Hidden Text:

Amy Adams is smoking hot, and a great Lois Lane. I just thought the relationship with Supe was kinda rushed. But I thought they left it off nicely with Clark starting at the Daily Planet

Hidden Text:

The more alien like spin on Krypton was cool, including the Avatar-esque flying creatures, alien technology and rough terrain of the planet and it's inhabitants. Definitely very Snyder

Hidden Text:

I liked the subtle links to the greater DC universe (Bruce Wayne Enterprises on the satellite), as well as setting up Lex Luthor by featuring Lexcorp on vehicles throughout the film

Hidden Text:

The action scenes while great, I thought they went over the top and dragged out at the end. Two Super people battling it out while not really harming each other and destroying everything while they fought seemed kind pointless to me. And for Superman, who is supposed to have a huge moral conscience, I thought it was odd that he'd destroy half the city while fighting Zod as well

Hidden Text:

Also, I didn't really feel a connection to the Daily Planet girl who got caught under the rubble, and found it strange that we're supposed to give a shit about her about to be killed, while the rest of the city is being blown apart to shreds.

Hidden Text:

I found the camera to be unnecessarily shaky throughout the film, too, and that was off putting at times.

Hidden Text:

Michael Shannon was great as Zod, although I wish I hadn't seen the trailers, as the "I WILL FIND HIM!!!" would appear to be much more menacing than they were

Me_Wise_Magic

Hidden Text:

I personally thought the overall romance between Supes and Lois was better than it was portrayed in the first film (which she falls in love with him within the first encounter while in this film there is that comes near the middle of the film; but it feels better paced as character development)..and Thor where there was hardly all that much chemistry during the first few conversations between Thor and Jane. Still a good movie though none the less. As for this movie it can only get better and fleshed out with a sequel where it should deal with the Lois & Clark dynamic. smile

Hidden Text:

I'm seeing the movie again with the some of the points of shaky cam and other things taken into account since I may of caught a few scenes doing it; but I've seen other films do it that it kind of doesn't affect me as a viewer all that much anymore. Like the Hunger Games and a couple more; but I can understand why it pisses people off. There were a few signature lens flares added for effect that Snyder and JJ Abrams do.

Hidden Text:

Oh yeah Shannon was fantastic. Totally forgot he was in the Runaways film too which he was really good in as well. Yeah I agree that the trailers especially with that particular quote didn't put him in the best light; but the actual film and his other scenes show him as a force to be reckoned with; but you understand where he is coming from.

Hidden Text:

I absolutely adored this version of Krypton with the new designs and ideas. Kind of missed the crystal tech of the original mythos; but this was satisfying. Especially the chrome metallic future interface used for the computers and design that helps shape it. 

Hidden Text:

As for the Wayne industries Easter egg, Snyder did say he would love to do Batman & Superman once this film succeeds (which it did) and a sequel after that to get more development and modern lore established. I hope Braniac with Lex serving a role; but not as massive as him being the main villain like in the original films. Sort of support for the lead baddie and messing with Superman to overcome the main plot. Something like that. I don't think a trilogy is necessary though. A sequel, spin off and hopefully JLA where WB gets their shit together some more. The problem is Reynolds said he wouldn't do Green Lantern again. I can see why cause that film was a mess.  Depends..him, Bale or Levitt may have a change of heart.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

I'd rather have Reynolds as the Flash, he has the perfect look and personality for Wally West. Always thought he was miscast as Hal Jordan. And on that note, I wish they had made a Flash movie instead of a GL movie. GL is one of my favorite characters, but he's so cartoonish I can't see them being able to pull a serious movie off with him. The flash on the other hand could be epic, because he can run close to the speed of light, you can introduce elements of general relativity and time travel.

Board footer