You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

buzzsaw wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I'm guessing with the Lebeis' snouts most likely in the trough now to some degree, Im Betting there is probably a good chance of a new album. I will bet they will move heaven and earth to try and make it happen if it means it puts another buck in their personal coffers.

They've shown no indication of doing this.  The record company has to agree to put it out, and if it isn't much, much better than CD, it
s not coming out.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In a sick way to me the whole thing is becoming a fascinating case study in human behaviour.

I'm curious to see just how deep some of these people will go.

In Jarmo's defence...it would have been a tough choice when he first started his propaganda mission. He gave up his credibility, renounced his VR fandom to do what he now does on his site, minimise the old band, encourage people to bash past members, and stay true to team brazil regardless of events, no matter if logic, facts and common sense dictate otherwise. But towing that party line gave him incredible access and privileges a hardcore fan growing up like him could only dream off. It would have been hard not to sell out.

But today the cards are on the table. He'll sell bumble down the river along with do anything else that he thinks will keep his position. No Honour and No Shame apparently...but a wonderful photo journalist none the less.....

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I'm guessing with the Lebeis' snouts most likely in the trough now to some degree, Im Betting there is probably a good chance of a new album. I will bet they will move heaven and earth to try and make it happen if it means it puts another buck in their personal coffers.

They've shown no indication of doing this.  The record company has to agree to put it out, and if it isn't much, much better than CD, it
s not coming out.

i agree it primarily rests w/the label when & if there is a new album. but i also agree w/aussie's thinking, that now they're more invested the lebeis's could theoretically help get an album made & ready.

i also don't know whether quality is an essential criteria to the label releasing the album. even if they could make an album w/12 SCoM's on it, i'd suspect the label would have reason to keep it back. there's just too much nonsense, business bs & money, traded between the label & GnR/Axl for it to just be, "ok it's good enough, let's release it & go". what im saying is, there's more to the label's decision than just whether the new album is 'good enough'.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

In a sick way to me the whole thing is becoming a fascinating case study in human behaviour.

I'm curious to see just how deep some of these people will go.

In Jarmo's defence...it would have been a tough choice when he first started his propaganda mission. He gave up his credibility, renounced his VR fandom to do what he now does on his site, minimise the old band, encourage people to bash past members, and stay true to team brazil regardless of events, no matter if logic, facts and common sense dictate otherwise. But towing that party line gave him incredible access and privileges a hardcore fan growing up like him could only dream off. It would have been hard not to sell out.

But today the cards are on the table. He'll sell bumble down the river along with do anything else that he thinks will keep his position. No Honour and No Shame apparently...but a wonderful photo journalist none the less.....

no mate. for a hardcore fan it would have been easy to call them on their bullshit. that's because true, hardcore fan's care. they care about the band & who follows it. jarmo & these guys care about themselves.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

So Buzz....

your theory is the label will block any album that's not a reunion album so they can keep GNR under contract just incase there is a reunion?

Makes a lot of sense.

But I do think there's some wiggle room:

1. Someone times labels do things against their long term interest for a short term cash flow pay day. CD2 would do reasonable numbers globally (yes poor compared to hay-day figures..but still good compared to other acts that have deals like buckcherry etc) - if the label is having a poor enough quarter  they may take the lesser cash of sure small sales vs an intangible asset of a reunion that could never happen.

2. If their problem is they want to keep a reunion album. Work around that - agree to an extension - so you can put out CD2 and they still have an album owed to them that they can use for reunion. Or maybe buy the rights to non-original line up albums from them - but letting them keep the rights to any album with original members....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

no mate. for a hardcore fan it would have been easy to call them on their bullshit. that's because true, hardcore fan's care. they care about the band & who follows it. jarmo & these guys care about themselves.

I hear ya.

But I just always feel it's easier to judge until you've been in that situation.

I mean jarmo started off running a fan site, then now he rolls with Axl and tours the world living the rock life vicariously.

I think what he did at HTGTH was fucked, beyond fucked....but I dunno...if in 2000 or whenever someone had given me the chance to work for GNR's "family"...i dunno what I'd do...I like to think I'd be true to what I actually like...let alone concepts like truth and so on....but then again....he does have quite the lifestyle now....I can't guarantee I'd be any better than him as much as it all sickens me.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So Buzz....

your theory is the label will block any album that's not a reunion album so they can keep GNR under contract just incase there is a reunion?

Makes a lot of sense.

But I do think there's some wiggle room:

1. Someone times labels do things against their long term interest for a short term cash flow pay day. CD2 would do reasonable numbers globally (yes poor compared to hay-day figures..but still good compared to other acts that have deals like buckcherry etc) - if the label is having a poor enough quarter  they may take the lesser cash of sure small sales vs an intangible asset of a reunion that could never happen.

2. If their problem is they want to keep a reunion album. Work around that - agree to an extension - so you can put out CD2 and they still have an album owed to them that they can use for reunion. Or maybe buy the rights to non-original line up albums from them - but letting them keep the rights to any album with original members....

1) There's not enough money in album releases for them to worry about making a quick buck on whatever small amount of units this band moves now that people know to expect substandard material in every sense of the word.  It's all about risk management in business.  Make whatever small amount they make selling 100K copies over a few years or hold onto the only thing they currently have capable of making them millions?  I'm pretty sure they'll take the gamble unless things become dire.  If it gets to the point that things are that dire, the label isn't going to put anything into CD II like they didn't into CD and it has zero chance of moving units.

2) The record company would be negotiating with people that have no idea how to negotiate.  Their idea of negotiating is here's what we want, meet it or get nothing.  They will then turn around and tell Axl the record company is being too difficult when that ploy goes nowhere.  You can't expect anything positive to come out of negotiations from people that have only had any success in life through manipulating people.  The record company isn't about to do Axl any favors either.  It's business, but beyond that Axl has pissed some people off there and they aren't about to do anything to help him out.  When you add personal issues to an already questionable business decision and I just don't see anything happening there.

Sky Dog wrote:

they will sell alot more than 100,000 units worldwide....most likely between 1 and 2 million. However, I do agree on Team Brazil not being capable of closing a real deal.

I still believe Uni will release another album one way or another. They would have dropped Axl like a bad habit after the final Chinese negotiations otherwise.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I still believe Uni will release another album one way or another. They would have dropped Axl like a bad habit after the final Chinese negotiations otherwise.

Why?  They aren't paying him anything.  There's no reason for them to do anything.  Either Axl delivers something they feel is worth putting out, Axl agrees to a reunion, or he sits there forever and rots.  Either way, there's no reason for the record company to do anything, and they certainly won't drop him so he can take that chip somewhere else.

For once someone has Axl by the balls and I don't think he likes it. More importantly there's nothing he or his band of merry men can do about it.

Chris Piss
 Rep: 1 

Chris Piss wrote:

Axl will have dragged the gang out to play every nouveau riche wedding from Alaska to Zanzibar and back again before the label feigns any interest in a new album.

Board footer