You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If Axl didn't still make them money UNI would have dropped GN'R already. If we're going by what BUzz says, and I understand what he's saying, there's zero reason to keep him on the roster. They should have dropped him 4 years ago.

So he can market himself around with the reunion chip in his pocket to other labels?  Why would they do that when they control everything?  Keeping him costs them nothing.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

They are trying to stonewall Axl and force a reunion.  That's why CD got fucked over.  If Best Buy hadnt been dumbasses we prob still would be waiting

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My opinion: current "management" will never, ever be responsible for new music being released. Ever.

Well, I disagree. The Brazil Team's luxury living is based on Axl's income, and even if they're making more money off touring than any possible album now, they'll need a new record to sell the next tours. They just can't sell this same show nostalgia trip anymore in the US and I think that they'll have more and more problems with selling it in Europe, too. The world map is getting smaller and smaller for them.

I'm sure that at one point the Lebeis family will convince both Axl and the label to negotiate a new contract. With more 'Guns N' Roses' albums secured, Uni will release the new stuff till the 'Big Reunion Pay-Off' comes (till hell freezes over) and Axl can tour years with the CD follow-up(s), so he (and his new family) will win time to live their luxury life without being forced into the reunion. GN'R albums will still sell relatively well, based on the name alone, and if next time it's quality music, than that's even better. With a new contract none of them can lose, just win.

(It's another question though if Axl's able to finish any new material in his lifetime, but he still has some old BH/Finck/Tobias stuff in his vault.)

Great post this sums up my thoughts on the situation too. They will convince Axl to drop another album so the tour cycle and therefore the dollars can continue.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If Axl didn't still make them money UNI would have dropped GN'R already. If we're going by what BUzz says, and I understand what he's saying, there's zero reason to keep him on the roster. They should have dropped him 4 years ago.

So he can market himself around with the reunion chip in his pocket to other labels?  Why would they do that when they control everything?  Keeping him costs them nothing.

They'll be opening themselves up for a lawsuit and trouble with the AARC, if that's the way they want to go; intentionally not doing anything with him and refusing to release any recordings, but resting their hopes on a reunion. There are rules/laws against that now and I'm sure any entertainment lawyer worth his salt would have looked out for this during contract renegotiations, among other clauses. Which might be where they're at in negotiating a contract for the next album, going by what MSL said.

And a reunion doesn't exactly benefit the label. A reunion will only help a tour. I haven't heard of too many reunion albums actually being big sellers, to make them put all their eggs into one basket. This all depends on what they're willing to fund for the next album, whoever is a part of it, imo. CD made them a lot of money. Another album will make them a lot of money. A reunion album will make them a lot of money. But there is nothing saying that, even if they do reunite, there will be an album with the original line up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Exactly....

Reunion album = huge cash outlay needed with massive potential to become a "development hell" album (Axl took 10 years for CD, and 2 Years for UYI vocals), not to mention the band does not get on enough to do anything (Including turning down hundreds of millions from live nation to tour, and not playing their own RRHOF induction) and hasn't agreed on musical directions since maybe 1991 but probably 1987.

No guarantee anyone on the line up would stick around long enough for even the recording phase.

VERSES

Chinese Democracy 2 = an album where recording is already significantly completed and the label paid for some of it, and only needs minor expense to finish where it will sell a decent amount on the name alone regardless of the songs.

Sure - reunion could net them more money -  but that's tour money - and it's doubtful they have a 360 deal with the label given how long ago it was done - so from the label's pov - "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

The reunion album would be better but it's got like 95% percent chance of not happening or imploding before it happens but after the label has paid for it. While CD2 is already paid for, the artist already wants to do it, and is far less likely to implode in the scheme of GNR implosions.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Monkey, reunion album would have to be done like uyi was where Axl and slash exchanged ideas over the phone. Etc. keep them far apart and let the music talk. It could work.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hey I'd love a reunion album.

I'm just saying what about the status quo makes it look remotely possible from the label's POV:

- Slash has successful solo career and is over bullshit.

- Axl says death before reunion and is crazy enough to stick to that no matter what.

- Slash can not agree on musical directions with other GNR alumani even in Velvet Revolver.

- Axl has not been interested in Slash's musical direction since somewhere in the early 1990s

- Even when they did co-operate, with songs that they'd written together organically, recording took years and thousands of bucks - ala UYI.

That's a lot of problems that need to be solved to make this theoritical album happen - vs - something they've already paid for with Chinese 2 and would make nothing but profit on (seeing as the best buy thing cleared the debts).

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If Axl wanted to do something, you guys might have a point.  The fact that he's been inclined to do nothing but tour for 4 years says the label has nothing to worry about.  You guys act like Axl is trying to release music..the reality?  Not so much.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Maybe if the label thinks a reunion with the original lineup and new album is just too slim, then they negotiate for reissues of the back catalogue.  Boxsets, remasters etc etc.  All the shit we want but can't have.

Axl can then be released to do his CDII on his own, funding it himself and reaping the benefits (if any) himself.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Almost feel like label is fucking with axl now

like he told them what was what when he was on top.

now they are kicking him while he is down

Im a bit shocked label didn't try to renegotiate a lower contract

if GNR are paid 13 million per album... they didn't pay THIS band that contract

now CD has failed

they will never give Axl another however many millions he is entitled to when he releases an album.

Board footer