You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

misterID wrote:

I think Axl wants to write again, and he's basically stated he's not doing that until the contract stuff is finished, so he's in the right "headspace."

That might be the sticking point, funding more recordings. I'm sure Axl doesn't want to fund it himself. AndI'm sure he wants gurantees on recording costs and marketing, and the label is expecting guarantees from Axl in return. That's what I think the hold up is.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Anyone know what the regime is there now at UniversalInterscopeGeffenPolygramNBCComcastWhat?
I ask because I'm not sure how much real institutional memory there is now. Don't know how much is vendetta, agendas, or whatever (Axl, screw you!), and how much it is money in and money out and what have you done for us lately (Axel, who?).

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Maybe uni will agree to another album for a cut of the touring revenue

johndivney wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

Anyone know what the regime is there now at UniversalInterscopeGeffenPolygramNBCComcastWhat?
I ask because I'm not sure how much real institutional memory there is now. Don't know how much is vendetta, agendas, or whatever (Axl, screw you!), and how much it is money in and money out and what have you done for us lately (Axel, who?).

that is cause for speculation, no doubt.

but the evidence we see (i.e. nothing happening + the fallout from CD's release, Better vid etc) is that there is still underlying friction in the relationship. there remains this institutional memory, & rancour towards Axl/GnR & vice versa prob.
Axl's obv a pain in the arse to work w. this has never, ever changed. & therefore you don't really need memory as everything new creates fresh obstacles & problems w/him. it's ok saying, "yea the label & axl went thru some rough times way back when" but all evidence points to it being an ongoing struggle to negotiate w/him. any new people in still have to deal w/the same demands & problems as those that went before.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yes but new blood might make all the difference.

Like when someone figures out there's 3/4 or more done of a new album just sitting around on protools...that was already paid for...and that the last album went platinum worldwide....it doesn't take much logic to realise it's an easy cash-grab for the label to bang it out. Anything it makes is pretty much gravy as they've already recouped the costs on it.

johndivney wrote:

ok. but if that hasn't happened by this stage then why would you suspect it may happen eventually?
new blood hasn't made any difference, on either side of the divide, in recent history.
we've been sat facing the same stalemate for like 10+yrs now. no sign of changes, at least publicly..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's not 10 years - it's 4 years since CD came out...something clearly went wrong then with the label...ie no promo etc.....so who knows in a year or two if anyone who was there in 2008 will still be there...label A+R people come and go all the time.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Chris Piss
 Rep: 1 

Chris Piss wrote:

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's not 10 years - it's 4 years since CD came out...something clearly went wrong then with the label...ie no promo etc.....so who knows in a year or two if anyone who was there in 2008 will still be there...label A+R people come and go all the time.

it's 10yrs. more!
i'd be willing to compromise on 2006. i think it was then beta said something like, "everyone knows the record's finished" - meaning they were waiting the label's green light.
was there an album finished before bucket joined?

my point is, the people from 08 may not have been the people from '99, but they still had the same difficulties & trouble in dealing w/Axl as whoever had the privilege prior. & whoever's there currently seemingly have the same or similar issues.

the relationship is clearly damaged. that much we know. whether it's beyond repair is another matter, as is whether there has been any kind of rapprochement, we don't know for sure but from what i can see i don't see any basis for hope. sorry for being a miserable prick about it! (but it's good to be hopeless so it's not all bad!)

Board footer