You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

-D- wrote:

I know the morning of the launch i spent hours upon hours listening to KRock streaming and they were full blown pro GNR until they played it and every caller slammed it then it quickly disappeared.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I am worst at what I do best and for this gift Im blessed

/thread

u can't fuck with those lyrics

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Complete fallacy, but believe what you want to believe.

maybe "nothing" to do with quality is a bit of a stretch but other than that I stand by my statement. Since you added nothing to "prove" my opinion is a fallacy I will continue to believe so. Thanks for your permission though. Very big of you.

Revisioniist history at its best

DUDE every radio station was chomping at the bit to play this new GNR song. Played it on the hour every hour

but no one liked it cause it is mediocre so they stopped playing it.

Slash doesn't even have a fucking label and hit number 1.

I never said the song wasn't given a fair shake.  In fact, I've said much the opposite.  I agree that most radio stations and critics alike were fully prepared to accept GNR with open arms when the single/album finally came out.  Evidenced by playing the single every hour on the hour, streaming the album in its entirety before its release, playing songs from the album on Sportcenter and other shows.  I NEVER said anything disputing any of that, but if you want to go ahead and make things up as you go along, be my guest.

The willingness to accept CD was short lived though when Axl refused to come out of hiding.  If HE wasn't willing to fight for it, why should anyone else? 

Slash can succeed with label support because he works his ass off, and he's a tad more likeable than Axl.  Come now, I shouldn't have to explain this. 

If Axl had played the game, CD would've fared better as a single AND an album.  Both did well out of the gate, but they couldn't sustain that level of success due to a variety of factors.  One MAJOR factor was Axl being non existent. 

You can go with your line of thought that the song sucked all you want, but that seems like a very simplistic way of looking at things.

Songs tend to slowly build.  CD sort of did the opposite.  It charted high initially and then began its descent.  Again, if it was worked properly BY AXL, it could have been a different story.

-D-

-D- wrote:

singles are lightning in a bottle.

CD is a good album track but a terrible single

would've been like putting Right Next Door To Hell as the first single over YCBM.

Ask Kid Rock what singles can do for your album

Remember his Rock N Roll Jesus album? Thing was a tank job unil "All Summer Long" hit the radio  then it exploded.

CD is a good old school front to back album.. but as far as individual singles, it isn't a singles album. nothing wrong with it but in 2008, people don't buy albums especially when u release one of the least commercial songs as the first single. people were curious, heard it, hated it, moved on.

fair? of course not
reality? Yes

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

maybe "nothing" to do with quality is a bit of a stretch but other than that I stand by my statement. Since you added nothing to "prove" my opinion is a fallacy I will continue to believe so. Thanks for your permission though. Very big of you.

Revisioniist history at its best

DUDE every radio station was chomping at the bit to play this new GNR song. Played it on the hour every hour

but no one liked it cause it is mediocre so they stopped playing it.

Slash doesn't even have a fucking label and hit number 1.

I never said the song wasn't given a fair shake.  In fact, I've said much the opposite.  I agree that most radio stations and critics alike were fully prepared to accept GNR with open arms when the single/album finally came out.  Evidenced by playing the single every hour on the hour, streaming the album in its entirety before its release, playing songs from the album on Sportcenter and other shows.  I NEVER said anything disputing any of that, but if you want to go ahead and make things up as you go along, be my guest.

The willingness to accept CD was short lived though when Axl refused to come out of hiding.  If HE wasn't willing to fight for it, why should anyone else? 

Slash can succeed with label support because he works his ass off, and he's a tad more likeable than Axl.  Come now, I shouldn't have to explain this. 

If Axl had played the game, CD would've fared better as a single AND an album.  Both did well out of the gate, but they couldn't sustain that level of success due to a variety of factors.  One MAJOR factor was Axl being non existent. 

You can go with your line of thought that the song sucked all you want, but that seems like a very simplistic way of looking at things.

Songs tend to slowly build.  CD sort of did the opposite.  It charted high initially and then began its descent.  Again, if it was worked properly BY AXL, it could have been a different story.

U just made my point. it charted HIGH cause the initial curiosity factor.. people hated it thus the huge descent. Has nothing to do with Axl. if it got a positive reaction, stations would've continued playing it. it didn't, so they stopped. simple really

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You're walking in circles, D.

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash and a bunch of others (to start)  are better than Cobain. Now, I would say Cobain is one of our greatest american "hard rock" songwriters.

Hell, what about Hendrix for fuck's sake? I dig Cobain...lyrics and guitar playing. Like Jimi, he was a one man gang. But, he wasn't Hendrix. 22

well what i think i actually said was kurt was the greatest american songwriter this side of dylan. he definitely belongs in the same class as HW & Woody & a few others like i said before. but what i shoulda said was he was the greatest this side of Townes, cause he's the really the only guy worth mentioning in the same breath.

in terms of Jimi. well, Jimi's a talent apart.
i don't think his talent necessarily resided in his song-writing, tho he wrote a bagful of great songs. but he was just as brilliant if not better an interpreter of other songs & elevating them, as well as being a riff-master & guitar hero. Jimi exuded & embodied that rock n roll gypsy soul better than anyone cause he captured it in his sound better than anyone, rather than just his lifestyle. but he didn't craft as many Great songs as the greatest songwriters in his time. Kurt did.

re: apex twin, i purposefully didn't mention neil, or joni, or robbie robertson for that matter, cause they're not American american, y'know? Neil IS prob the 2nd greatest guy ever in rock n roll, whatever way you wanna cut it as a songwriter or rocker or even guitarist. but he's canadian so he doesn't count in this regard.

Sky Dog wrote:

Just to name one, Machine Gun is better than anything Cobain ever wrote. A perfect song for the Vietnam era accompanied by a complete masterpiece of an instrumental.... Maybe the greatest guitar virtuoso display of all time. I consider the instrumental part of the songwriting process....especially when the guy sings and writes the lyrics and music like Jimi and Kurt. Hendrix has a ton of original songs that are drop dead classics...just skim through his 3 classic studio albums.

np: If 6 Was 9......I'm gonna wave my freak flag high! 19

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If 6 was 9 is my favorite Hendrix song. 9

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash and a bunch of others (to start)  are better than Cobain. Now, I would say Cobain is one of our greatest american "hard rock" songwriters.

Hell, what about Hendrix for fuck's sake? I dig Cobain...lyrics and guitar playing. Like Jimi, he was a one man gang. But, he wasn't Hendrix. 22

well what i think i actually said was kurt was the greatest american songwriter this side of dylan. he definitely belongs in the same class as HW & Woody & a few others like i said before. but what i shoulda said was he was the greatest this side of Townes, cause he's the really the only guy worth mentioning in the same breath.

in terms of Jimi. well, Jimi's a talent apart.
i don't think his talent necessarily resided in his song-writing, tho he wrote a bagful of great songs. but he was just as brilliant if not better an interpreter of other songs & elevating them, as well as being a riff-master & guitar hero. Jimi exuded & embodied that rock n roll gypsy soul better than anyone cause he captured it in his sound better than anyone, rather than just his lifestyle. but he didn't craft as many Great songs as the greatest songwriters in his time. Kurt did.

re: apex twin, i purposefully didn't mention neil, or joni, or robbie robertson for that matter, cause they're not American american, y'know? Neil IS prob the 2nd greatest guy ever in rock n roll, whatever way you wanna cut it as a songwriter or rocker or even guitarist. but he's canadian so he doesn't count in this regard.

I get grilled a lot for saying what I'm about to say but I truly believe it to be true.  Cobain has been extremely highly overrated since his death.  If Cobain was alive today he would not be so higly praised.  Thus Nirvana are overrated because of his death.  Pearl Jam were and are way better than Nirvana ever were.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that Nirvana completely sucked.  They were good and Nevermind was a good album.  But they were not superior to the rest and Nevermind is NOT the greatest album of all times.  Matter of fact I'm not sure it would be in my top ten or even top 20.

Board footer