You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

buzzsaw wrote:

I can totally see the argument if the songs sounded great and the only thing off was the booklets.  That wasn't the case.  The songs sounded like crap (forget about the fact that I don't think they are very good).  Even if your "baby" isn't quite ready for public consumption, it has to be closer than that, or at least be close enough that it can sound ready quickly.  These songs are a bunch of demos dumped in a blender instead of a mixing board. 

The guy had at least 5 years of solid time to work on nothing but this stuff and play a few shows.  If this is what he has as a result of that time period, no amount of additional time is going to fix it.  What he had wasn't very good.  I think he knew it.  He saw a chance to clear his debt and he gave them garbage.

The ONLY hope is that somehow he kept the good stuff and has actually been working on it.  Highly unlikely, but if not, CD II is going to be CD I all over again minus the interest in what Axl's vision for GnR is.

Sky Dog wrote:

exactly...the new band was in existence for 10 fuckin years. He screwed the pooch ID. The only way to get it right in my eyes would be to release it as a double with a whole new batch of Chinese session songs attached to it. And, remember, he claims to always have thought of it as a double so why not release it all together with proper artwork and move the fuck on? He isn't going to sell alot of records one way or the other so release it all for your hardcores (which he still has a good amount of on a worldwide basis).

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

In my view, the music on CD is awesome as it is.

My guess is, if there is ANYTHING Axl is not happy about with the release of CD, it's gonna have to be the artwork. As far as I can recall that is the one thing that has been mentioned. Right? Something about another version of album-art being ready but didn't make it to press or whatever.....

A re-release of CD with new artwork is gonna fly totally under the radar and will only be discussed amung the hardcore of the hardcores. THAT is no big deal to the average rockfan or critic.

A re-release of CD with new versions of the songs (wether it's totally new versions of certain songs or just slightly remixed) IS gonna make some impact. And not of the positive kind!

buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

And as a result you are part of the problem.

Nah...I'm pretty sure it won't swing Axl's decision either way.

I realized as I hit submit I probably didn't phrase that well.  The fact the people are willing to throw money at subpar effort keeps him from having to put an effort into anything.

Now that doesn't mean it's YOUR fault specifically or Axl would have put some effort into CD had you not purchased a copy.  Heck, I'm doing my part too by going to a concert I fully expect to be the same half-assed show he's been doing off and on for the past 10 years and I have 2 copies of an album I have no intention of ever opening much less listening to.  We're all guilty because we're fans of Axl and/or this GnR on some level...and he can milk that forever without ever putting forth more effort than he has since 1994.

I hear you!

Even I'm bored to death at this point. That is why I have said that this Vegas-thing or at least around that timeframe should be the end of CDI and the beginning of the next chapter!
Doesen't matter to me if it's "old" songs from the CD-sessions or new songs written by the current lineup. EVERY release from GNR have had SOMETHING that I love very much!
But it's long over due to wrap this baby up! They've toured every corner of the world multiple times since 2008.
If anything, a one month party in Vegas could very well be a perfect way for the band to do just that. Wrap it up! No stress. No travelling. A great time for some hardcores, some avarage rockfans and a fat check!

NEXT.....

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Sky Dog wrote:

exactly...the new band was in existence for 10 fuckin years. He screwed the pooch ID. The only way to get it right in my eyes would be to release it as a double with a whole new batch of Chinese session songs attached to it. And, remember, he claims to always have thought of it as a double so why not release it all together with proper artwork and move the fuck on? He isn't going to sell alot of records one way or the other so release it all for your hardcores (which he still has a good amount of on a worldwide basis).

It's only the way to go at this moment for the GNR brand and pleasing the fans!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you don't like the album, if you think it's all crap, that the mix sucks, if it's over produced, that STILL has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The guy had it planned for the artwork and lyrics to be a certain way. It wasn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making sure that future editions be the version he wanted or intended it to be. This is so insignificant, so small of an issue for ALL OF US, that it blows my mind people even care about it.

And this all goes back to jarmo's post that says if it is re-released, it would be around the same time as the next album.

No. Big. Deal.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you don't like the album, if you think it's all crap, that the mix sucks, if it's over produced, that STILL has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The guy had it planned for the artwork and lyrics to be a certain way. It wasn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making sure that future editions be the version he wanted or intended it to be. This is so insignificant, so small of an issue for ALL OF US, that it blows my mind people even care about it.

And this all goes back to jarmo's post that says if it is re-released, it would be around the same time as the next album.

No. Big. Deal.

It does have something to do with it.  He had plenty of time to make it the way he wanted it - that goes for the music, the artwork, the booklet.  All he had to do was turn down the BB deal to make it the way he wanted if he felt after a gazillion years it still wasn't ready.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Here is my issue:

If Axl believes in CD so much, and doesn't wanna just let it go cause of all the work put in to it, why self sabotage by doing NOTHING for the album?

Now, you are playing almost as many cover songs as songs off the damn album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Here is my issue:

If Axl believes in CD so much, and doesn't wanna just let it go cause of all the work put in to it, why self sabotage by doing NOTHING for the album?

Talk about speculating, where to start?

Who knows.  He obviously wasn't happy with the label and the way they handled things leading up to the release, so by all accounts he washed his hands clean and went into hiding for nearly a year.  Maybe a case of, why should I work to make YOU money when you're not pulling your weight?  Who knows what goes on in Axl's mind.  But I think that's where the main basis for his absence in promotion lies.

Add in the fact that Robin jumped ship and they apparently didn't know his official status.  A guitarist who is all over the album isn't available to promote, if people cared about hearing from him, which is highly debatable.  This would be less of a concern obviously because the only one anyone cares to hear from is Axl himself.  Still though, the timing of Robin leaving didn't help things I'm sure.

A more jaded outlook, maybe Axl knew it was impossible for the album to succeed and reach any realistic goals people may have had in mind.  Therefore, why put in the work?  It was destined to fail, even if everything fell into place perfectly.  At least with all the anticipation that had been created over the years.  So, maybe he figured he'd leave everything out to dry and he could always pass blame elsewhere.  Which is basically what happened, and seems to always happen.

As for a re-release, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I know it seems ridiculous and obviously it wouldn't be sought out by anyone but the hardest of hardcores, but if that's how Axl wants to play it, so be it.  If he's NOW ready to push the product 4 years later, that's fine with me.  He's actually been doing so ever since this tour started 3 years ago.  Yes, the amount of CD songs played has dwindled a bit over the years, but they're still making an effort.  And who knows, maybe a re-release would be the final chapter of this CD saga and then he can finally move forward and on to newer and better things.  Maybe it NEEDS to happen.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Axl did't even pretend to be proud of CD. He did absolutely nothing to promote it. he didn't talk about it, he didn't say what the songs were about, he did NOTHING. Regardless of the business side(which is such a cop out for so many who argue in Axl's defence as though no other bands have business issues) the fact is he didn't even pretend to care about his own album.  After 10+ years he let the business side get in the way of promoting his decade's worth of work. Something we're to believe he poured his heart and soul into? Yeah ok. My guess is Axl never liked the album to begin with. I'd wager a guess it's not even close to how he heard it in his mind. Unfortunately he didn't have anyone that was capable of bringing his ideas to fruition. Am I speculating? Sure but I'm tired of people saying Axl spent all those years making the album then bailed on it cause of his business integrity and not wanting to work for the man. .

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Axl did't even pretend to be proud of CD. He did absolutely nothing to promote it. he didn't talk about it, he didn't say what the songs were about, he did NOTHING. Regardless of the business side(which is such a cop out for so many who argue in Axl's defence as though no other bands have business issues) the fact is he didn't even pretend to care about his own album.  After 10+ years he let the business side get in the way of promoting his decade's worth of work. Something we're to believe he poured his heart and soul into? Yeah ok. My guess is Axl never liked the album to begin with. I'd wager a guess it's not even close to how he heard it in his mind. Unfortunately he didn't have anyone that was capable of bringing his ideas to fruition. Am I speculating? Sure but I'm tired of people saying Axl spent all those years making the album then bailed on it cause of his business integrity and not wanting to work for the man. .

In fairness, he did talk about the album and songs in pretty great detail through the online forums.  I know that's not what you were talking about, but that shows he didn't hate the album.  At least as far as I'm concerned.  I do think he'd be the first to admit that there were a lot of things that surrounded the album that he hated.  The "music" though, I don't think that's the case at all.

Board footer