You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

In the end, neither Slash nor Axl (or Izzy for that matter) have written anything solo that comes close to matching what they did in Gnr. Tejas, now you are just getting me pissed! 16

haha, that's exactly my point though. Their solo material is proof of how much better they were together than apart. Slash is in fucking denial if he thinks his guitar work on Apocalyptic Love is better than his guitar work on Estranged or November Rain, those two ballads that he supposedly hates. Likewise, Axl is in denial if he thinks CD is anywhere near as good as the 4 classic GN'R releases. He's also in complete denial if he thinks ballads like November Rain and Estranged would have turned out to be so memorable without Slash's beautiful guitar work.

Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Black Leather
The Garden
Dust N Bones
Breakdown
Locomotive
November Rain
Double Talkin Jive
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Aint It Fun
Coma

a current mashup of uyi and si on my ipod.....those 14 songs SHIT all over Chinese Democracy.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Black Leather
The Garden
Dust N Bones
Breakdown
Locomotive
November Rain
Double Talkin Jive
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Aint It Fun
Coma

a current mashup of uyi and si on my ipod.....that album SHITS all over Chinese Democracy.

No doubt. Also shits all over Apocalyptic Love for that matter.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Black Leather
The Garden
Dust N Bones
Breakdown
Locomotive
November Rain
Double Talkin Jive
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Aint It Fun
Coma

a current mashup of uyi and si on my ipod.....those 14 songs SHIT all over Chinese Democracy.

Just your opinion.

5 of those shits over most Chinese songs, the rest does not. My opinion.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

these last few pages were awesome.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For my part, I didn't mean to be implying Slash is a saint.

I was talking about Axl's problems post Chinese, and I was saying to me it's clear that there's a pattern with him that started in GNR era and still goes on.

It's also true of slash. Note how Snakepit 1 and 2 are both entirely new bands. How VR can't agree on shit anymore.

They both have certain character traits that have persisted into the rest of their lives.

The only thing I would say in Slash's defence - is as much of a jerk as those interviews make him out to be - to an extent he had a point in wanting the next GNR record to be guitar based like the previous ones were - how is he supposed to be excited about making a NIN / Synth record where he'll basically do nothing? It's not him trying to change the band into something new. Likewise I'm sure some of the assholish "just sing this" and not letting axl re-write it was because he didn't want to wait forever - look at Axl's time frames - 2 years for UYI vocals after instrumentals - only sang on SOME tsi tracks - then 10 years for the next album. It's still fuckheady of slash to try and boss Axl around musically - but to an extent I can see maybe he just wanted to get on with stuff.

Unlike you guys I think their solo stuff is as good - it's just it's not together. The guitar on slash's solo is as good as UYI era, and the lyrics on CD are as good as Axl's previous works. Reason you guys don't like most of it is because each one of them is only half the formula that made GNR great I guess.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

and by recording over/drowning out alot of Izzy's guitar parts on UYI. There are alot of references on the subject but unfortunately I don't have them at my fingertips. If you guys don't think Slash was on a powertrip as well, then you are as much in LA-LA land as the Axlites. You should re-read Axl's side of the story sometime in the online chats. He has some very good counter punches to your arguments about the breakup and the name issue. While I think he exaggerates some, there clearly was a major major power struggle going on between him and Slash from 94-96. Slash didn't give a shit about Izzy being gone. It was more power and control for him. Gilby did whatever Slash wanted and that is why SI sucks and Snakepit sucked. But, I digress....

To continually put your Slashite blinders on in every single situation, is just as lame as what you guys criticize on a daily, hourly basis. It takes two to tango and Slash, in my eyes, is just as big a prick as Axl. He is just better at hiding his prickness. 21

I ain't putting any blinders on, I just wasn't aware of the Izzy leaving because of Slash, and wanted to hear the back story to it.

As for the re-recording of Izzy's guitar parts by Slash on UYI, even Axl admitted Izzy's takes weren't up to par, because he didn't put the effort in, or something about him submitting demo-quality recordings, when both Axl and Slash were aiming much higher than that.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Unlike you guys I think their solo stuff is as good - it's just it's not together. The guitar on slash's solo is as good as UYI era, and the lyrics on CD are as good as Axl's previous works. Reason you guys don't like most of it is because each one of them is only half the formula that made GNR great I guess.

You're free to think that, but I think it's a delusional position to take. Axl's vocals, lyrics, and melodies on CD aren't anywhere near as good as his effort in the original GN'R, and Slash's guitar parts lately are nowhere near as memorable as the all-time classic material he came up with in GN'R.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's delusional at all.

There is nothing on any of the back catalogue that is as hard to sing as those high screams in twat.Likewise, slash in 1987 outright would be unable to play the songs in his current album.

The only reason the old stuff is better is because of BOTH of them being there - but that shouldn't be used to think that either of them has slipped.

Ask yourself this:

Imagine if some of the old stuff was written later. How would it sound?

If slash's Civil War music was given to Rod Jackson in 2000 to compose lyrics and sing for - what would have happened?

If Axl's Estranged composition had been given to Robin to add guitar parts what would you get?

Both slash and Axl compose on the same level or better than they always did, what you are hearing is the absence of the other.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is weaker vocals and certainly weaker melodies by Axl in addition to far weaker guitar hooks by Slash. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, Slash has done lately is anywhere near as catchy as the SCOM intro, the PC intro, the WTTJ intro, the SCOM solo, the NR solos, the Estranged solos, the DC solo, the Civil War riffs/solos, etc. Axl being there wouldn't fix the lack of catchiness in his guitar parts these days. He plays with a more "modern rock" sound instead of the classic blues rock sound that he had back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Board footer