You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: GN'R to play RIR 2013?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

So Rock in Rio is not held in Rio anymore?

As long as there's a river nearby I guess it works..

johndivney wrote:

some yrs ago it was held in Lisbon as Rio couldn't afford it i think. don't think that's such an issue now tho..

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

The RIO thing is weird, didn't SOAD go on way late and wouldn't get off the stage when they were supposed to and then there was a rain delay? I thought GN'R (at least the crew) pulled it together pretty well, considering. The performance just wasn't good.

Yeah I don't really get the backlash about GNR going on late THAT night.  SOAD's set ended late and it began to downpour before GNR took the stage.  I think the "delay" was warranted in that instance.  Now their performance (namely Axl) obviously was not top notch. 

It makes sense to me that the organizers of Reading and Leeds wouldn't want Axl back, after having to pull the plug on him AFTER warning him about breaking curfew.  But this Rio thing, I don't really understand.  I think if push comes to shove, they'd gladly take GNR back.  Not that they need help with ticket sales for the event, but GNR is still larger than life there.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

He's going back with a whole bunch of new songs....:haha:

We can dream, can't we?  To usher in a new album with Rock In Rio, a few dates in India, maybe a US tour.  Ah, if only this band operated like a normal functioning unit.  But alas, they are anything but that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's chicken and the egg though.

Did SOAD play just play late of their own volition? Or did their set run long because they were being told to keep it going cos Axl wasn't ready? Or...as I suspect from something I read back then...they THOUGHT axl wasn't ready (even if he was) because they couldn't find/get in touch with him.

Much as  I love GNR, look at it from face value from a promoters POV:

Gnr's show started over 2 hours late and then when they did go on - the performance was one of the worst GNR have ever given.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Watching the show live, I remember that SOAD just wouldn't stop playing and a downpour started that ruined the stage.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah from what I recall, SOAD played the entire setlist that was posted by event organizers that night. Nothing extra. So I don't see the "stalling for Axl" line of defense. The rain REALLY began to pick up prior to GNR's set. Again, in this ONE instance they didn't appear to be at fault for the late start. If there were other factors we don't know about, fine. But we can only go off of what we know.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Fair enough.

Just the promotor said "Axl came very late and did not respect the public."

Then Axl's people's defence mentioned: "Anyone who was there knows that System of A Down did not leave the stage until close to 1:15 in the morning. System's extensive stage production did not finish coming offstage until 1:45 a.m. GNR's production was up and ready to go at 2:15 a.m. Axl got to the venue before 1 a.m. and he came ready to go onstage."

So it seems SOAD  came off stage basically 15 mins after Axl arrived at the venue...which does make me wonder if they would have been pulled off earlier except the promotors were afraid to do that with Axl not present.

I think all of the issues that happen happen because of the lack of communication between Axl and EVERYONE cos he's kept in seclusion.

Did the promoter realise Axl would come at 1 and be 100% ready to go instantly with no prep time? Put yourself in his shoes. Do you pull SOAD at 12:15am to allow the GNR crew to set up shop - when Axl isn't on campus yet ???

Yes the fault was the rio schedule, the weather and SAOD....but I think a big part of the reason it went down that way was Axl's seclusion and the fear that he might not turn up causing the organisers to make bad calls.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Those setlist were the planned sets and the extras. I remember that back then people were excited that GN'R 'were to play' like 12 songs after PC. No way in hell. Those setlists posted were the setlists and the possible alternates/fill-in additions. It's another story that SOAD were forced to play all the songs, while waiting for Axl to arrive.

BTW I still don't get why he needs to arrive to the venue only an hour before the show. Very unprofessional, even from a primadonna.

Board footer