You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GN'R to play RIR 2013?

tejastech08 wrote:

I remember reading SOAD's setlist before they went on stage and thinking "there is no way in hell they're going to play that many songs in the allotted time." Sure enough they went way longer than the allotted time. And then the deluge of rain started as soon as they left the stage.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I'll play the Devil's advocate.

Guns N' Roses Agree to Take to Rock in Rio Stage on Time -- or Pay Fine
    Posted on Apr 5th 2011 8:15AM by Julian Marszalek

Music promoters the world over are doubtless reeling after the organiser of Brazil's Rock in Rio secured the seemingly impossible -- Guns N'Roses have agreed to sign a late appearance clause ahead of their closing slot on Sunday, Oct. 2. They'll be fined if they take to the stage too late.

It has long been assumed that Devil would be skating to work before Guns N' Roses would regularly take the stage on time. Their recent tour for their -- what else? -- long overdue 'Chinese Democracy' album was blighted by a number of late appearances. As previously reported by Spinner, the band's set at the Reading Festival last year was cut short by promoters after they took to the stage an hour late, while other curfew-busting stage times have left fans without any public transport to get home.

Keen not to repeat Guns N'Roses' 2001 appearance at the festival when Axl and co. took to the stage two hours late, Rock in Rio's vice-president Roberta Mediana has put her foot down.

Speaking to Brazilian magazine Epoca [via Blabbermouth], she said: "[Guns N Roses' appearance this year was] the hardest to arrange on the history of the festival. Bands are usually on time, but Guns is a different case. Lateness like the one in 2001... can make the public feel uncomfortable and cause them to possibly start a riot".

- http://www.spinner.com/2011/04/05/guns- … late-fine/

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Those setlist were the planned sets and the extras. I remember that back then people were excited that GN'R 'were to play' like 12 songs after PC. No way in hell. Those setlists posted were the setlists and the possible alternates/fill-in additions. It's another story that SOAD were forced to play all the songs, while waiting for Axl to arrive.

BTW I still don't get why he needs to arrive to the venue only an hour before the show. Very unprofessional, even from a primadonna.

I thought the setlists posted had been followed song for song by bands prior to GNR. Obviously there was no way Guns was going to play ALL the songs that were listed. It would've been like a 5 hour show. A lot of SOAD songs are 3-4 minutes in length though, so they could obviously squeeze more in.

Who knows. It's entirely possible System was asked to play longer, but that's pure speculation. None of the parties involved have come forth with that information to my knowledge.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

SOAD began their set at around 11.30pm.

Guns' scheduled time to go on stage was at 12.50pm.

At around 12.50pm, Axl shows up. SOAD set now at around 1h20mins. With 60min set changes, earliest convenience for Guns would be 01.50am.

SOAD finishes at 1.15am. They played 1h45mins.

If it takes 60mins for SOAD & GNR to work their thing out, in order for Guns to have come out on time, SOAD could've played only 20 minutes.

But.

Leeds '02. Guns blamed The Prodigy for being tardy with their set-change.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Ok then...sounds legit about RIR....I guess it's just a boy who cried wolf senario then....like GNR has stalled many a gig...so when the promoter accused them of being late I jumped to conclusions.

johndivney wrote:

i was @ that Leeds fest gig & the schedule was actually running 20+mins or so behind schedule all afternoon & evening, like a lot of festivals are prone to do. BUT the waiting from when The Prodigy went off to when they started assembling the GnR stage was fucking painful.  & down in the pit the tension was getting cranked up to fuck. which is the way he wants it, of course!
it was the same old craic, "he's not gonna show", "or there's a helicopter flying over i bet that's just him arriving now" yada yada yada..

& then when they did start assembling GnR's rig it took forever, & then it seemed another age before the finally took the stage.

but back then it was the comeback, & y'know people were slightly more forgiving. even if they shouldn't have been. but after 8yrs of the tour that behaviour isn't as excusable.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Or we can go with this. tongue

Board footer