You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: 12 GN'R shows in Las Vegas

otto wrote:

I went on two concerts in 2010 and did NOT get:

Estranged
Civil War
Catcher In The Rye
There Was a Time
Don't Cry
The Seeker
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy
Don't Let It Bring You Down

Also, there was no Motivation or Glad To Be here / Objectify so, to me it would sound a little bit different although I'd probably NOT go see GN'R again unless new NEW songs are being played.

But to imply it's the same show as 2010 (or 2006 or 2002) is not pretty accurate. There's almost 1 hour of songs that weren't played in 2010. If you'd compare with 2006 or 2002 there'd be way more since only 3 or 4 CD songs were played and now it's on an average of 7/8.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think we should all give them credit for playing a very long set. Probably 25 songs per night, which is great. 5

On the other hand it's clear that Dizzy and Tommy are so out-of-the-loop that their word means nothing. They can promise, lie or guarantee anything, Axl will decide and he's been is safe mode for a decade, except some Asian dates a long ago. I still can't understand why they can't mix up the setlist at least, and how can not give a damn about those who went to see them more than once in Vegas, cause they sets were stable. Anyway, this is the Guns N' Roses we get, and we'll get in the next years, so we'll better get used to the low ambitions.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sure it's not identical...

2010:

Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
Better
Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
Jam
This I Love
Rocket Queen
Dizzy Reed  Solo
Street of Dreams
You Could Be Mine
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Axl Rose Piano Solo
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Whole Lotta Rosie
Nightrain
Don't Cry
Madagascar
Paradise City.

But it's damn close. As I said...great show...
Should not have been marketed as never before seen setlists etc...as the changes are very minor IMO

Sky Dog wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think we should all give them credit for playing a very long set. Probably 25 songs per night, which is great. 5

On the other hand it's clear that Dizzy and Tommy are so out-of-the-loop that their word means nothing. They can promise, lie or guarantee anything, Axl will decide and he's been is safe mode for a decade, except some Asian dates a long ago. I still can't understand why they can't mix up the setlist at least, and how can not give a damn about those who went to see them more than once in Vegas, cause they sets were stable. Anyway, this is the Guns N' Roses we get, and we'll get in the next years, so we'll better get used to the low ambitions.

Tommy doesn't say shit and has not talked at all about setlists.....recent quote from a article in Las Vegas...

Bass player Tommy Stinson has now been in Guns N’ Roses 15 years (longer than his original stint in The Replacements). In all those years, G&R has mostly been a touring unit.  Backstage before the Friday night show, he tells The Daily Beast of the current band: “We know all the old stuff as good as we are going to get it. We’ve been playing a lot of the old stuff for years and years and years.” These old songs aren’t delivered in the sloppy Stones style the original players made famous, but with a wallop on a sonic canvas worthy of Rose’s ego. There are moments the grim metal can overpower the sleazy pop charm of early material. Still, there is no arguing the band is monumental to experience live. This is the best wall-of-90s-sound band ever to pound out the hits of the ‘80s.

Stinson is happy to concede that the residency is essentially the same show fans have seen for years. Still, he notes, “I think there was an effort to make the show interesting in different things like the flying piano.” Rose plays the piano on "November Rain" while sailing briefly over the audience.

And, just to make sure the crowd stays pleased, after the more-spartan early shows, dancers were added to writhe to some of the hits. Asked about them backstage, Stinson allows an awkward pause, sips his drink and finally just says “Yup.” He then admits his 4-year-old burst out laughing at the sight of the gyrating hotties on stage with dad’s band.  Stinson clearly thinks the dancers add nothing to the music. And, he is right, of course, though headlining in Vegas is often about more than sound.

My boy has his head on straight. 15

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

There was another Tommy article prior to the Vegas gigs, where he clearly stated mixed up setlists or something like that.

They're all full of shit... 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

otto

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But it's damn close. As I said...great show...
Should not have been marketed as never before seen setlists etc...as the changes are very minor IMO

I completely agree with that.

otto

otto wrote:

So, there was a post over at HTGTH about a mic tossed in the crowd that security took back. Bumblefoot replied on the official forum about it and was quoted:

Bumblefoot wrote:

"just sent a 5th or 6th letter to 'management' saying *again* that we need to talk to security about them mistreating the fans. I've been trying to make things better, from meet-n-greet scheduling to allowing signs & banners, been feeling like a union rep for fans, lol, but it's gotta be done. I didn't agree to have 9-year-old girls have their 'happy birthday' signs confiscated - see why I lose my shit?? lol All I can say is *I tried* and if fans continue to be mistreated it's not coming from Axl & the band.I am now 100% sure that no one in the band, nor it's management has ever instructed anyone at The Joint to recapture the mic at the end of the show."

I find amusing how sometimes things slip very gently through the cracks... The 'management' in quotes amused me.

johndivney wrote:

that's brilliant ^ 'management', that meme needs to catch on in the GnR community.

i dunno if know if any of you have or work in security, but i gotta say from personnel experience a large percentage of them are total power-tripping tosspots who seemingly have serious mental problems.
now, one of my very best & oldest friends is actually head of a security team & he is sound as fuck & so are some of his friends. but i swear when they're in work mode they're just pig ignorant animals. & i'd imagine their aggression & brainlessness gets magnified when surrounded by the brouhaha of a GnR gig, simply cause of the reputation & tension that goes along w/the band (much of it undeserved & simple myth). it is a dirty job & someone's got to do it, but it seems like every gig or club i go to there's security going above & beyond their job description to hassle or harass punters.

now having said that, someone in the GnR camp, or the concert promoters should be trying to curtail these goon squads, cause this is not an isolated incident regarding GnR gigs.

(having said that, tose microphones are expensive so i can imagine the gnr 'management' lying about wanting them back, or getting them back)

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

There was another Tommy article prior to the Vegas gigs, where he clearly stated mixed up setlists or something like that.

They're all full of shit... 19

I want to say you're right but I can't remember now.

Don't get me wrong, I personally think the sets are just fine but I also don't get why members keep saying there are going to be changes that never come about.

Seems like Tommy, the Man contradicts himself.

Here it is:

Will you prepare for a 12-show residency any differently than you prepare for a tour?

Probably a little bit, because I think we’re going to have to alternate sets and do different things. Whereas when we tour we kind of tweak the set as we go and then kind of get in a mode of it being a certain way, with a few audible changes as we go along. I think with the Vegas sets, we’re going to try and make some different things happen to kind of keep each show a little bit different.

Like, keep a basic set and mix in a few songs? Or will you have multiple setlists?

I think we’re really going to have to think about that. And as you just say that … (pauses) … an idea came into my mind … to really, drastically change the set. I can’t share it with you, but I think would be really good. I think there’s a couple different ways we could go about all this, and I think we should.

Is there you’ll be able to do, production-wise, to make these shows special since you won’t have to tear it all down every night?

I’ve got a couple of ideas, and I think everyone is going to have to use their noggin to try to figure it out. I know Axl [Rose] is going to try and make every show different from one to the next. I think that would be the way he thinks.

Sounds like there’s still a lot up in the air. Do you think it will mostly happen spontaneously?

Ya know, I don’t know. I think that we’re probably going to have to talk about how different we want to make the shows, then once we do that and we all get on the same page it’ll be easy to say, “Hey, how ’bout tonight we do it this way?” That way, people aren’t gonna go, “Wow, I saw them last week, and I saw that set.” It would be good to have them see a different set each time. To make people go, “Wow, that was totally different.” It might be totally acoustic for half the set tonight. Or maybe we’ll do half the set on f*cking kazoos! (laughs)

The residency is called Appetite for Democracy. Does that mean it will mostly draw from Appetite for Destruction and Chinese Democracy?

I just think somebody came up with a cute term (laughs). I don’t really know where that came from, but it is definitely going to be more than just Appetite and Chinese Democracy. It’s going to be a lot of things—as much as we can throw out there.

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2012 … residency/

Board footer