You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: North American Tour Stats for new Gnr

johndivney wrote:

'87-'93 GnR smoked Zeppelin.

Only thing comes close is Stones '66-'72 ('68 if you feel cunty about it).

Beatles & Dylan don't count, obv.

They were the greatest rock band ever. They were perfect.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl was working on November Rain before GN'R even formed. Don't Cry was the first song Axl and Izzy wrote for GN'R. And I'm pretty damn sure YCBM was written before AFD came out. And I'm not a "huge" Izzy fan. I just think he doesn't get the respect he deserves since everyone obsesses over Axl and Slash.

Axl started to write NR in the early 80s. Doesn't mean it was anything close to the song we got in 1991. Not at all. Slash wasn't even around, and he made it an all-time great with those 3 magnificent solos. Nobody's saying that Rocket Queen is a Roadcrew song, although the main themes were written years before GN'R. Same goes for NR.

I'm not a DC fan, although it was a popular song off UYI. But the twins had more popular, and even more better tunes.

YCBM wasn't done at all. That's why it didn't make AFD.

I repeat it: Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Coma, Double Talkin' Jive all were written after AFD. So I think they became even better songwriters after the success - but unfortunately the band fell apart, because the ego management failed.

I love Slash's solos on November Rain, but there is a pre-AFD acoustic demo of it that doesn't include those solos and it is flat-out phenomenal. Chill-inducing to be honest. Axl's voice is very haunting in the demo version. It was a great, great song before any electric guitar was ever added to it. The songwriting is beautiful.

As far as Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Coma, and Double Talkin' Jive are concerned, I'll take Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise City, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Rocket Queen over the songs you listed. Appetite smokes that material.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There's just no way in hell that these people could have made it past UYI... That's why they didn't.

Again, they're more like The Sex Pistols than Zepplin. LZ was basically a supergroup of established musicians and Page was running the show.

GN'R was a mix of the Pistols/Rolling Stones/Aerosmith with AFD. Then they became Aerosmith meets Queen, and those things are like oil and water. Not even counting their HUGE volatile personalities.

GN'R was much more a kismet moment in time when these guys just fit each other. UYI was  beautiful mess, but it was still a mess of conflicting ideas, which makes it the perfect swan swong. They had no desire to work with each other after that, just taking into account the evolving styles that didn't fit anymore. Slash had a big problem with Axl's style and his ballads. Axl had a big problem with Slash's style.

I don't see anything that changes that. I'm not saying the talent dried up, but the shared creative vision disappeared after UYI.

And ftr, Coma, Estranged, Locomotive blow away everything on AFD. But considering the cost at which those were recorded, basically ending the band, it's safe to say the desire and well dried up with it. It's like this board. Slash is Taj and Axl is Ali. Oil and water, man.

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl was working on November Rain before GN'R even formed. Don't Cry was the first song Axl and Izzy wrote for GN'R. And I'm pretty damn sure YCBM was written before AFD came out. And I'm not a "huge" Izzy fan. I just think he doesn't get the respect he deserves since everyone obsesses over Axl and Slash.

Axl started to write NR in the early 80s. Doesn't mean it was anything close to the song we got in 1991. Not at all. Slash wasn't even around, and he made it an all-time great with those 3 magnificent solos. Nobody's saying that Rocket Queen is a Roadcrew song, although the main themes were written years before GN'R. Same goes for NR.

I'm not a DC fan, although it was a popular song off UYI. But the twins had more popular, and even more better tunes.

YCBM wasn't done at all. That's why it didn't make AFD.

I repeat it: Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Coma, Double Talkin' Jive all were written after AFD. So I think they became even better songwriters after the success - but unfortunately the band fell apart, because the ego management failed.

I love Slash's solos on November Rain, but there is a pre-AFD acoustic demo of it that doesn't include those solos and it is flat-out phenomenal. Chill-inducing to be honest. Axl's voice is very haunting in the demo version. It was a great, great song before any electric guitar was ever added to it. The songwriting is beautiful.

As far as Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Coma, and Double Talkin' Jive are concerned, I'll take Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise City, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Rocket Queen over the songs you listed. Appetite smokes that material.

I don't even know where to start with this! The best of the Illusions destroys AFD lyrically and musically. Hands fuckin down. I'll give ya the big three SCOM, WTJ, and PC but after that...ahhh fuck it. Ain't worth the time.

ID, you are correct. No reason to speculate. They literally didn't make it past UYI and the record stands as is.

Always look at bands in their prime anyway. When I think Stones, I think 68-72, Gnr 87-91, U2 85-91, Aerosmith 73-77, The Who 68-72, Zep 69-71...etc etc etc. Sometimes staying together doesn't work. It just becomes a cash cow and the albums become one single and a bunch a shit. Obviously there are exceptions. The Gnr guys were way too different in influence and personality to make a long go of it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bullshit. Original GN'R was destined to crash and burn no matter what.

Completely disagree with that ID.

Look at what *should* have happened:

Axl - martyred on the alter of rock cobain style or in jail for killing someone in a temper

Steven - dies from long term drug abuse

Duff - drinks himself to death

Slash - accidental OD

but NONE of that has happened has it?

Axl found a way to keep himself within some kind of limits....Slash got clean and kicks ass now...duff is a marital arts god.....

Bottom line is if they'd only found a way to remain friends, and sort out their bullshit - which I fully blame both Axl AND slash for - there is a ton of amazing material they would have put out...and GNR would now be like U2 or the Stones....

Just like them doing everything right and getting off the dope, staying friends, none of that WOULD have or DID happened.  End of story.

They were the Sex Pistols with the momentary popularity of Aerosmith in their prime and Queen. There was no longevity for that line up and people are just in denial about that.

And what does it matter? They put out great albums, they did what they wanted for that short period of time. Album sales and concert attendance don't matter anything, and shouldn't matter anything. If it did no one could ever be a fan of a band like Fugazi.

Yeah, all those things very well COULD have happened if GNR stayed together.  They were coming apart at the seams, and dare I say it, NEEDED some time apart in order to survive.  Now it's debatable whether they could've re-convened somewhere down the line.  But if they stayed together on the self-destructive path they were headed down, they might not all still be with us today.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

People forget GNR are one of a very short list of bands that boast a legit top 5 all time frontman and a legit top 5 all time guitarist.

Axl ISN't GNR no more than Jon Bon Jovi IS Bon Jovi.

If Richie were kicked out or quit tomorrow, U would see BJ drop off. I had a chance to see them in Atlanta when Richie went to rehab and didn't go because it isn't BJ without Richie Sambora just like it isn't GNR without Slash and u can't fool people in the US.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Jon Bon Jovi literally IS Bon Jovi.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

Jon Bon Jovi literally IS Bon Jovi.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Good point

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The other thing people are missing is that GN'R's moment had passed in '94/'95 because of grunge and the emergence of nu-metal. If they'd put out an album with the Snakepit songs, Fall to Pieces and This I Love on it in 1996, it would've flopped. No matter how much better it was than the competition.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The other thing people are missing is that GN'R's moment had passed in '94/'95 because of grunge and the emergence of nu-metal. If they'd put out an album with the Snakepit songs, Fall to Pieces and This I Love on it in 1996, it would've flopped. No matter how much better it was than the competition.

I disagree. New styles killed only the smaller bands in the history of music. GN'R were too big to lose relevance. They would have sold less records, but still a shitload. Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, AC/DC etc. survived everything (punk, pop, disco, glam, grunge, techno etc.) with small or no changes in their style. That's the league where GN'R belong to.

Board footer