You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: North American Tour Stats for new Gnr

metallex78 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The other thing people are missing is that GN'R's moment had passed in '94/'95 because of grunge and the emergence of nu-metal. If they'd put out an album with the Snakepit songs, Fall to Pieces and This I Love on it in 1996, it would've flopped. No matter how much better it was than the competition.

I disagree. New styles killed only the smaller bands in the history of music. GN'R were too big to lose relevance. They would have sold less records, but still a shitload. Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, AC/DC etc. survived everything (punk, pop, disco, glam, grunge, techno etc.) with small or no changes in their style. That's the league where GN'R belong to.

^ This.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The other thing people are missing is that GN'R's moment had passed in '94/'95 because of grunge and the emergence of nu-metal. If they'd put out an album with the Snakepit songs, Fall to Pieces and This I Love on it in 1996, it would've flopped. No matter how much better it was than the competition.

Agreed. It was going to be very, very tough for them in that climate. They were already getting a backlash. I think they'd have a far better chance of being successful today, as a reunion, than they did in the 90's of continuing on as a huge act in America.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Never been a worse time for GNR than 94-97. They were the benchmark of un-cool.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I had a chance to see them in Atlanta when Richie went to rehab and didn't go because it isn't BJ without Richie Sambora just like it isn't GNR without Slash and u can't fool people in the US.

What did you do instead? Watch TV? Went to Burger King?

"That'll teach Bon Jovi, he can't fool me!", he thought while drinking his last beer watching 'An Officer and a Gentleman' on late night TV with the missus.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
DCK wrote:

Never been a worse time for GNR than 94-97. They were the benchmark of un-cool.

Such revisionist history and such a load of bull. Gn'R may not have been topping the charts during this time but to suggest they were the bench mark of un-cool is laughable. Lke if you were a Gn'R fan or even had a few of their albums you were a loser. Like if Guns N' Roses came on the radio people laughed and immediately turned the station. Some of you are funny sometimes.  The only time Guns N' Roses became uncool was when Axl reemerged in 2002 with the clown show looking band. Since then new guns has been considerd a joke by the public and old guns has remained classic. del with it.

johndivney wrote:

no, no. bon jovi are, and always will be, the benchmark for uncool. tongue

but yea, defo i get a lot of grief for being a GnR fan.
a few of my mates are fans but the vast majority of people i know think it's a laughing matter.
but i don't give a shit what people think. it's their loss!
i don't know what it was like 94-97, i can imagine it was p bad, but it defo got worse post -02.
& bono, "clown show" is being polite. the more often used "freak show" is a better assessment. the image of BH (& Finck to a lesser extent) as Slash's 'replacement' was a major factor in the ridicule.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, we had this conversation before, and many people told you GN'R was becoming uncool in the early 90s. Again, it might have been different in Canada, but in America they pretty much picked the best time to vanish. GN'R didn't start becoming cool again until NuMetal started up again, and rockers were becoming rock stars again.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think they would have been fine had they stayed together.  I also thin they would have been fine had the original group popped back up in 2002, 2006, 2008, 2010, or whenever.  I have no proof of this, but I believe they werebig enough to weather anything.

misterID

misterID wrote:

They did stay together through that period, though, until about 1996-97 and they couldn't release anything. The question is, what would they have released if they released anything? What would have been the next GN'R album? Axl had a problem with the throwback Slash rock, Slash had a problem with the ballads and whatever synth stuff Axl would have added.

And, just for arguments sake, they did release something, it would have been what Empire described and whatever respect and icon status the original line up had by going out on top would have vanished had they showed up with Snakepit plus TIL and Fall To Pieces in the 90s.

The thing about this is that they were together during most of that time and they couldn't release anything, no matter how much they tried. The spark was gone.

Board footer