You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Is Russ the new Jarmo? (Mentioned on GN'Rs fb page)

monkeychow wrote:

Hmm.

I love you guys and all as we've all posted and been virtual friends for years.

But here's what I can't get.

I understand liking Chinese Democracy because I do.

I can understand liking Robin because the guy has an idiosyncratic unique kind of style.

I can understand liking Bumblefoot or Buckethead as their chops are just so impressive.

So it's not like I don't like these players.

But I don't really follow how it's possible for you guys to not like Slash given that he's still so intrinsic to what the band does.

To play it in reverse, I can see how a person who didn't like Axl could been a Slash fan regardless, there's 2 snakepit albums, 2 VR albums and 2 other solo albums to obsess over even if you hate Axl's voice and his singing on every GNR track.

But that's not the case with GNR. Axl has a total of 15 songs released publicly where Slash isn't playing on them. So if you dislike Slash's style so much as some of you seem to - what the hell is there to obsess over. Every night DJ and Bumble are out there playing the shit out of Riffs that Slash made - hell - I think you'd find even Bumble and DJ respect Slash a lot more than the way he seems to be minimised on forums these days. Even if you love what Robin plays or what Bucket played - with the exception of 4 or 5 songs at a gig they are playing Riffs written by Slash.

Personally I'm a fan of both the old and new band, and the solo projects. But I find it distasteful the way at places like HTGTH it's only ok to like one or the other. But that seems to have worked out for those that took sides....afterall Jarmo is now a professional photographer or whatever he is right?

This whole GNR fanbase has become a microcosm for something very very sick - you could write a really interesting sociological piece on both the history of the band and the fan base.

These days I find myself wondering...if Fernando or whoever runs the GNR site knows the admins here by name...and when Bumblefoot himself responds to rumours about him...BURIED 18 PAGES INTO A THREAD ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC....is this place going to become the new stepford wives capital of the internet too?

And if it does...where does someone like me...who marvels at Bumblefoots skills, who loves Slash's emotive playing, and who thinks Axl has the greatest rock voice in history go next....as this was the last bastion of independent thought.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yeah I thought that was funny how bumble found that in a new better video thread mmm

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This whole GNR fanbase has become a microcosm for something very very sick - you could write a really interesting sociological piece on both the history of the band and the fan base.
...is this place going to become the new stepford wives capital of the internet too?

And if it does...where does someone like me...who marvels at Bumblefoots skills, who loves Slash's emotive playing, and who thinks Axl has the greatest rock voice in history go next....as this was the last bastion of independent thought.

well, i think you should embrace the absurd.
wht i mean is the music is the music & the rest is a time-filing/time-wasting soap opera. we're just witnesses to the decay of an institution & sharing in that experience & also rejoicing in what they built: the music is why we're all here, after all, & the rest really is just fallout. & what's left then? you can mope around in the tragic waste of it all, or you can see the funny side. & there is a funny side.

regarding your first point, i don't think this thing of ours is that much different or strange. i'm sure a lotta bands go thru similar speculation & 17 moments w/their fans online & in print. & a lot go thru line-up changes. & i'm sure it's been that way since the year dot. it's just part & parcel of following something - a band, a team, whatever. y'know what they say, "every asshole has an opinion", or something. i think that's how that phrase is meant to go..

i really don't get what the prob is tho. you're gonna die someday man & what's it gonna matter then? tongue

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'm with you monkey...i never understood how slash can be so despised when his sound/riffs are still a large part of what this band does

as for bumble....he's pretty internet savvy, is someoen tipped their hat to this guy spreading their private convo he prolly checked all the usual outlets

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

You are doing a great job Russ....Monkey would say the same. You know he's a long winded airbag!!!! Just kiddin'......:slash:

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Good posts by both Monkey, and Russ, and thanks for clearing the air Russ, because Monkey kinda wrote what I was thinking...!

I don't consider this place anywhere in the same fuckin universe as htgth, and I think it's that same freedom of speech here that kinda gets us into these arguments here.

But for the most part, the bickering just goes through cycles because there's not really much else to talk about in the world of GNR...:haha:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

While you certainly can see Russ' bias towards Robin in his posts from time to time, I've never felt the overall trend was like Robin or die.  I'd have been the first one booted if it was.

There was a time not too long ago that this site had a pretty BH heavy influence, yet people were free to say whatever they wanted about him.  I haven't seen anyone punished for not liking a band member.

I also think people get confused sometimes as to where people stand on certain issues.  I love Axl the studio singer/lyricist.  Always have, always will - even when I don't like much of what he's put out recently.  I've never thought he was a great live singer and that goes back to snippets on TV of concerts to the show I saw in Chicago in 92.  Obviously I'm not a huge fan of what he's done to the band in the last 15 years or whatever and the decisions he seems to keep making.  That doesn't mean I hate the guy or don't respect what he has done (and maybe will still do).  In some ways it's almost how I imagine people feel about their kids - you always love them even when you're mad at them.  Axl meant so much to me when I was growing up that I will always have a fondness for his music even when I can't stand some of the things he does.

Sky Dog wrote:

so, you are admitting lyrics and "passion" are important? To me, VERY VERY VERY much so...couple that with some tasty riffs and rhythm, you have a great band.

Here's my deal. Axl is 50% of Gnr and the other 4 were 50%. Vocals/lyrics vs Instrumental. Slash, while a legendary guitar player, IN MY OPINION, did not bring anything more to the table than Izzy did. To me, they were a perfect hard rock combination. Duff was solid as were the 2 drummers. I just think, in the end, singers are harder to come by. Axl would have been successful regardless of Slash...maybe not as much, but at some point he would have clicked with somebody. On the other hand, considering the Hollywood scene in 1985, Slash would have a very hard time finding a singer like Axl.

So, I guess I am saying that Axl brought more to Gnr than Slash did.

And here we go...........:P

I 'm still a tweener though Smokin'  21

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

so, you are admitting lyrics and "passion" are important? To me, VERY VERY VERY much so...couple that with some tasty riffs and rhythm, you have a great band.

Here's my deal. Axl is 50% of Gnr and the other 4 were 50%. Vocals/lyrics vs Instrumental. Slash, while a legendary guitar player, IN MY OPINION, did not bring anything more to the table than Izzy did. To me, they were a perfect hard rock combination. Duff was solid as were the 2 drummers. I just think, in the end, singers are harder to come by. Axl would have been successful regardless of Slash...maybe not as much, but at some point he would have clicked with somebody. On the other hand, considering the Hollywood scene in 1985, Slash would have a very hard time finding a singer like Axl.

So, I guess I am saying that Axl brought more to Gnr than Slash did.

And here we go...........:P

I 'm still a tweener though Smokin'  21

Important?  Yes, but never my focus as I'm more about the music.  The music/melody got my attention; the lyrics brought the band from very good to great for me.  I think most people would probably think your % is pretty close to right; some may give Axl even a higher number.  For me, it was 75% Slash, 20% Axl and 5% the rest of the guys when I first got into them.  I think that's evolved over time as I grew to appreciate Izzy and Duff's contributions more, but it's still at least 50% Slash for me. 

There are a lot of people that can't stand Axl's voice...even the studio voice.  Hard to believe, but true.  The hear Myles when listneing to Axl and it bugs them as much as Myles bugs some of us.  At this point I would also say that Myles is a better live singer than Axl is (though maybe that opinion will change in November).  I'm guessing most people will think Axl brought more to GnR than anyone else did, and maybe they are right...I don't know.  I think that has more to do with how people listen to music than anything specific to GnR.  I think the % would be about the same towards the lead singer no matter what band you choose...that's just the way it is.

Board footer